pekkerwood

Country Flag
australia
g’day fellas,

Who runs a intercooler on there 80 series
HD-FT and what do you reckon.

What’s people’s experience with top mount vrs front mount

Thanks

Ive got a front mount which works well. Can really feel the difference from not having one

Kingtom

What brand intercooler have you got, do you think it has anymore turbo lag because of the extra intake piping

Thanks

It was made for me specially by a local intercooler boffin who does some magic and maths and makes it in such a way that achieves optimum airflow. (supposedly)

I havent noticed any increase in turbo lag though Ive got an uprated WINK Turbo which is similar to your G Turbos in Aus

Have a search on here Pek, I’m pretty sure there’s a similar thread somewhere.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a front mounted one but I removed it a couple of weeks ago. I can not compare yet, I have not driven since then. I am also changing the inner wing and am waiting for warmer weather to do some paint work.

Useful link that. I’ll have to have a more in depth read. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

I had a cross country top mount, removed it and now have a PDI front mount

Thanks Sea Jay, what to you think about the difference is it chalk and cheese.

Some say the pipe work hangs a bit low with the PDI front mount what’s your assessment

Thanks

the front mount runs EGT about 50c cooler, the top mount is a lot easier to fit, the front mount works better for towing over long distance and dose not need an extra fan

There is absolutely not necesary to have an intercooler in to a standard 1hdt or 1hdft.

I'm not sure that stands up to scrutiny. An 80 carrying lots of kit, bigger tyres, roof tent will generate significantly greater EGTs when under load than a standard one. I suspect there is a good argument that an intercooler would add another layer of protection to a standard engine.

I had a front mount installed on my 80 HDFT.
It was installed by teh PO but was dimensioned too small and restricted the airflow. Pressure difference before and after intercooler was 0,5 bar/7psi.
DSCN0988-1000.jpg
DSCN0992-1000.jpg
DSCN0993-1000.jpg
DSCN0994-1000.jpg
DSCN0995-1000.jpg
DSCN0996-1000.jpg

For those that doubt an intercooler would make a difference to a standard HD FT then try going uphill on a clear crisp cool winters morning ......the engine will if anything like mine feel crisper and pull harder simply because the ambient air is cooler and denser , it is noticeable .
It's difficult to appreciate on a moving vehicle how efficient a good intercooler is ........I often have big 300hp plus tractors on a dyno and making the engine work hard .
A good indication is that you can't put your hand on the inlet side of the intercoler as it is too hot , the outlet side while warm is comfortable to hold your hand on......in fact my preferred hand warmer on cold days when dynoing .
Remove EGR from the equation and with a good cooler you can get back to ideal inlet temps.

There is no down side to fitting an intercooler even if you don't seek more power it can only make for a more efficient fuel burn , and the only way to do it wrong is to have leaks in your pipework . Oxygen is flammable and an intercooler just increases the oxygen in available air by cooling it , the intercooler itself is just a glorified pipe is all . A cleaner burn equals lower EGT .

Back