Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

headlights only adjust halfway

Tipper

The switch that adjusts the headlights only adjusts from five to three, then the light doesn't go any higher. If I move the switch quickly from five to one, the lights don't move. I've tried another switch, it doesn't make any difference. I'v had a headlight off to see if the adjuster was rusty, but it's clean. They both stop at the same time. maybe a wire problem somewhere, any ideas what might be wrong? The car is a 1990 80 4.2 12v. Any help will be gratefully received.
Alistair

You know that the headlight alignment is manual - you turn the screw and it moves. OK
The headlight leveller switch operates between to 'set points'. I wonder if someone has manually adjusted the headlights and this has changed the set point so that the unit comes to the end of its travel too early. You see what I mean? It might be necessary to manually adjust them back a bit to let the motor move full travel.

Thanks Chris, I've had the car for four years, and it's only recently the lights have stopped adjusting to the top. Nobody has adjusted them by the screws on top. The leveller switch doesn't work from three to one, even with another switch.

Ahh well that's shed some light on that then!

Just odd that it's both of them together. One acting strange isn't too uncommon.

Ellery manual says there is an up relay and a down relay, but no info on where they are or look like.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back