Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello All

jbecks

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

I just picked myself up a 2000reg Land Cruiser Colorado last week, I never intended to buy a Land Cruiser as Im a big Land Rover fan and spent years repairing them as a mechanic in the army, but I managed to buy my car for half the price of its value due, to it needing a few repairs which are now fixed :). I'm only the second owner and although I only have part service history, it looks like its had work carried out on the truck thats not got any history for, which leads me to believe its either been done DIY or he's had to keep the invoices for his tax returns as he was self employed. Needless to say the truck drives fantastically now...so much so, I prefer driving it over my 08 5 series bmw :D even if the engine is a bit frugal! its the 1kzte.

Shes a 3.0td auto and Ive just had new tires put on, I'm going to fit an external transmission cooler next and block of the piping for the existing cooler thats built into the radiator and then I will start preparing it for a trip next year through France, Switzerland, Austria, Hungry then into Slovakia and on the return trip through Poland, Sweden Norway and then back to the UK and if she lives long enough the year after, she will take me to Morocco. Does anyone know if I can get a roof rack that will fit over my roof rack rails? fairly large.

Here's the beast,

photo(1).jpg

If anyone in the Essex area enjoys a bit of greenlaning, and does not mind me tagging along, I would be interested.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome - not sure it will fit over the rails, but this is my roof rack
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1515 (640x413).jpg
IMG_1514 (640x415).jpg
Appears very sturdy, have yet to use it in anger though!
Steve

Welcome - looks like a nice truck and am sure it will see you good for the trips you've planned.

I think you might be better off removing the roof bars and blanking off the holes, as otherwise the roof rack will need to be quite a height off the roof.

Hello
and nice looking Collie for your adventures

The ARB version of Steve's has a choice of mounting heights, mine is set on the tallest so that I can still reach the roof to clean it.

ARB are ludicrously expensive and I was very impressed with how Steve's looks, almost identical and less than half the price. There would be plenty of room under it for your rails though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 127
That's a good point - mine came with 2 or 3 different brackets for mounting - I just used the ones that worked for me - I still have the others. (if anyone wants them, fill yer boots!)
Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a good point - mine came with 2 or 3 different brackets for mounting - I just used the ones that worked for me - I still have the others. (if anyone wants them, fill yer boots!)
Steve

I was was well impressed with your rack for the price Steve, you even have tie-down hooks, that mine doesn't :|

I always wrap ties round the bottom tube, but some hooks would have been a good idea. You've also got the CB mast mount, that I don't.

ARB have a lot to answer for methinks... :lol:

Last edited:
I was was well impressed with your rack for the price Steve, you even have tie-down hooks, that mine doesn't :|

I always wrap ties round the bottom tube, but some hooks would have been a good idea. You've also got the CB mast mount, that I don't.

ARB have a lot to answer for methinks... :lol:
CB mount front and rear! but.... acouple of bolts going a bit rusty, time for some hamerite me thinks!
Steve

CB mount front and rear! but.... acouple of bolts going a bit rusty, time for some hamerite me thinks!
Steve

Thats one one thing I'm very pleased about, 6 years on the roof all seasons and not a spot of rust anywhere. And I've used it a lot for bikes which are notorious for scratching from the metal pedals, chain rings etc.

cheers guys, I like the car alot and I will most likely remove the roof rails to fit the cage.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a decent bar to mount some roof lights on? I would just use the roof rack but as the rack will only be used for overland trips and I will need the extra lighting when I don't need the roof rack on...and it will save me lugging around the roof rack 24/7.

Cheers :D

I also own a Land Rover Discovery2 and I must say, The only thing the Discovery has over the LC is the parts are generally cheaper to buy and the cabin is nicer....other than that the Colorado is better in every way. I might sell both and get a 100 series amazon :D

Welcome, I was a Range Rover man and have swayed back to the LC!.

Mans 4wd! :icon-biggrin:

Back