Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello All

Ronmor

Country Flag
uk
Hi to everyone I have just treated myself to my first Landcruiser and she is a beauty, 2008 silver KDJ120R 3.0TD automatic 150000 miles, which I thought was a lot of miles until someone told me it’s not she good for at least another 350000, so I’m looking forward going to the moon and back...

I’m from Scotland plenty places to try her out. I don’t know what all the buttons, switches and levers do but I will look forward to finding out before I venture off road.
Confusing for me is the diff lock when to use and of course more importantly when not too, or are they even working or not...
I’m sure I’m not the first to have wondered all this and look forward to learning.

Off to the shops now with my wife isn’t its great when you get a different car how you are always looking for an excuse to go places, even shopping...

Hi to everyone I have just treated myself to my first Landcruiser and she is a beauty, 2008 silver KDJ120R 3.0TD automatic 150000 miles, which I thought was a lot of miles until someone told me it’s not she good for at least another 350000, so I’m looking forward going to the moon and back...

I’m from Scotland plenty places to try her out. I don’t know what all the buttons, switches and levers do but I will look forward to finding out before I venture off road.
Confusing for me is the diff lock when to use and of course more importantly when not too, or are they even working or not...
I’m sure I’m not the first to have wondered all this and look forward to learning.

Off to the shops now with my wife isn’t its great when you get a different car how you are always looking for an excuse to go places, even shopping...

Even more so with a Cruiser, I’m still looking for excuses to drive mine after owning it since 2006...:lol:

430,000 km on the clock, so only 570,000 still to go...

Diff lock...

Basically (and I’m not too clued up on 120s) with it being all-time 4WD, with a diff between the front and rear, put one wheel in the mud and in theory, it will spin out and you’ll get no drive going to the other 3.

By locking the Centre diff, the front will get the same drive as the rear. You shouldn’t do this on dry asphalt, you’ll get wind-up to some extent, meaning there’s no way for any wheel rotational difference between front and rear (from cornering and so forth) to get balanced out with the diff locked.

Anyway, on gravel, grass or dirt roads it’s fine, and almost certainly, the CDL will help pull you out of the ‘one spinning wheel’ scenario.

I think you’ll probably have a limited slip diff at the rear, which is very good on loose material and in mud. Some have a lockable rear diff too, that’s for when you’re really stuck :lol:

The 80 series got it right for tough conditions, a lock on each of the 3 diffs, centre, rear and front.

You’ll pick it all up, bit by bit. There’s loads of threads on here about how the 4WD works on these beasts.

Welcome aboard! :thumbup:

Welcome Ron, I'm biased cos I have a silver 120 also and I love it.
Depending on your model it may or may not have a rear axle diff lock but most have a centre diff lock.

Hi
Thanks Clive and Andy for replying and for the great info once I have learned the basics workings of my Landcruiser I will give it a try.
Having a lock on all three diffs must be great, no stuck in the mud for you...

Silly question time:
When I move the small gear selector to low a solid light comes on the dash to say the centre diff is engaged.
I also have a dial to the left of the steering wheel that switches on the rear diff lock when turned ton the right which flashes but does not stay on all the time like the centre diff light does.
Does this mean the rear diff is not working?
The previous owner of seven years never ventured off road.

I have only yesterday ordered a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 hopefully they will come on Thursday.

Next on my wish radar will be a under body skid protection plate possibly even a winch bumper if I can find a suitably priced example, remember I said it was a wish list...Which one of the two would you buy first, and where in your opinion is the best place to purchase from?

I have all the enthusiasm of the uninitiated and hopefully it will last for years to come.

Once again thank for replying.

Good choice of tyres. Money well spent. They’ll last forever and have a much bigger impact than any underbody armour or winch bumpers unless you’re planning on tackling some serious terrain.

Hi
Just a quick update
I tried the rear diff lock on a waste patch of land, as I previously said the dash light kept flashing and would not stay illuminated. I’m relieved to say after placing in LL then engaging rear diff lock then driving forward then in reverse half a dozen times stopping switching the rear diff switch a few times seems to have done the trick I now have a solid rear diff light.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Jacob hopefully they will be fitted by Friday so I can try them out.

Welcome.

The colour of lights is key. Amber is the centre diff locked. The rear diff lock light is red... warning you to be careful... it flashes when you press the button (kinda acknowledging the 'request' to lock) and will go solid when it does engage. Factory settings are it will only operate in Low Range so if you tried it out in high that will account for it staying in flash mode and not engaging.

Thanks the rear diff lock seems to work now as they should, before I messed around with it earlier today the rear diff, red light, even in low range 4x4 flashed, and never engaged.
Every thing now works as it should, must have been lack of use as previous owner never ventured off road so he probably never even used the diff lock.

Thanks to all for being so friendly it’s appreciated

Welcome Ron, as you’ve found out, this forum is full of friendly helpful folks that just love their cruisers. I must say I can almost feel your cruiser grin from what you’ve written. Look forward to seeing some pics and write ups of any trips you do (not shopping though, we can let you off that :lol:) once you get out and about. These are great trucks and you really haven’t got many miles on her yet.

What’s the underneath like?
Best wishes
Rich

I was going to suggest (before reading your post #9 above) that the lock-out light isn't always a reliable indicator that the locker isn't working.

The locker lights on my 80 have never gone solid in all the years I've had it, but on investigation, the plug connections at the detent switch on the locker (the wires going to the dash) have corroded away eons ago, but the lockers work perfectly.

As said before, take care to disengage when on dry asphalt... :thumbup:

I was going to suggest (before reading your post #9 above) that the lock-out light isn't always a reliable indicator that the locker isn't working.

The locker lights on my 80 have never gone solid in all the years I've had it, but on investigation, the plug connections at the detent switch on the locker (the wires going to the dash) have corroded away eons ago, but the lockers work perfectly.

As said before, take care to disengage when on dry asphalt... :thumbup:

Hi Clive thanks for your advice hopefully in the near future I will be able to help others too.

Welcome Ron, as you’ve found out, this forum is full of friendly helpful folks that just love their cruisers. I must say I can almost feel your cruiser grin from what you’ve written. Look forward to seeing some pics and write ups of any trips you do (not shopping though, we can let you off that :lol:) once you get out and about. These are great trucks and you really haven’t got many miles on her yet.

What’s the underneath like?
Best wishes
Rich

Hi Rich its great to talk with like minded people, once I have some time, as I will be away working all weekend I will try and post some pictures next week.
Yes the grin is still as big as ever I was talking to a Defender driver telling me how good hi vehicle was.
I told him I read somewhere if you want to drive in to the desert buy a defender if you want to return buy a Landcruiser...

Back