Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Bingley and a LJ70

Simon_LJ70

Garage
Thought I would stop by and introduce myself and my Land Cruiser LJ70 VX 2.4 1988, I have been reading loads of useful info on here so thought I would say thanks!

I am new to the world of Land Cruisers and bought mine in August this year, it had been on a farm for a good few years and was not in the best of states

LCbefore2.jpg

So far it has had a fair bit of work done (and many long hours :shock: ) but is starting to take shape.

On the list of jobs completed

Full service
Full respray in its Toyota colour
New Ironman shocks
Rims powder coated white and General Grabber AT2's
Arches removed and filled
Brake discs and calliper's replaced
Bumpers powder coated black
Replacement glass sunroof (old one had rotted)
New windscreen (managed to break old one)
New Toad alarm
Replacement rear doors (old ones rusted)
Replacement side windows

LCafter1.jpg

Jobs still to complete

Fix IPF lights
Fix rock sliders
New headliner
New Stainless 2" exhaust
Waxoil underneath
Fix stereo (only getting AM)
New Springs

Will be using it as a daily driver, cannot believe how good it is to drive and how solid it is, looking forward to getting it off road. Have taken loads of photos so far of the project so will get round to adding them to a post shortly :thumbup:

Wow, that is one cool looking truck :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum Simon.

Yep, i really like the look without the Wheel arch extenders. You must be pleased with your efforts, where as I have not washed mine since the summer Lincombe Farm, I hold my head in shame.

Welcom to the club. That is a nice and clean looking LC indeed

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sweet ride, have printed the picture to pin on workshop wall to keep me motivated! Great Job!!

Thanks for the comments! I am sure it won't stay clean for long.. Hoping it's not too cold tomorrow as going to give the spot lights a go and got the glow plugs to change. Any recommendations for injector servicing?

nice looking truck!

nice to see another LJ70 owner on here! :thumbup:

did you buy it off ebay? im sure i recognise it in the first pic, as that was the time i was looking for mine.

Another 70 Series!!!! Cool! Welcome mate!!! Nice-looking LC indeed!!

Hey you've bought my previous toy!
Had one in exactly the same colour.

The lj70 is great for going offroad.
It was called a Bundera in Australia aka Rock Wallaby.
Have you got one with the limited slip rear differential?

Didn't do many mods on mine.
intercooler for the engine, 5 cm lift with koni shocks, winch with shortened bumper, removed the standard rear bumper made a simple tube bumper, added some lights of a BJ70 and some 7.5R16 michelin OR tyres.
Great vehicle with lots of fond memories.

Thanks for the advice Gav, was really helpful, Ben, yes was on EBay August time this year

Thanks Chris, no LSD on mine, will try and look for a diff of a breaker next year, although have been looking at the Truetrac & Aussie locker as an option

As long as you're not into rockcrawling and extreme offroading where you're lifting tyres off the ground a Truetrac will be great.

The oem LSD was fine, but needed an oil change every year to keep it from locking up on tarmac. After about 4 years of now and again offroad use, the diff needed a rebuild.
Never bothered, just used it another 2 years.

When you get the basics wright the lj70 will go far and beyond.

Thanks Chris, any good suppliers for the Truetrac? Or is it ship from the states? Btw the tyres are 31 x 10.5 x r15

I'm located in Belgium, so don't know anyone where you are located who gives good service for a truetrac.
Try to find someone who has experience in rebuilding diffs.
It's not rocket science, but needs to be done correctly.

I frequently buy parts in the US, mostly it ships within 10 days. Haven't had any problems yet UPS probably ships to the North Pole if you would want them to.

Same size as I had on my lj70 for daily driving.
Keep your hubs locked and 4WD engaged when you're in heavy rain, because that size floats.
Great for sandy beaches, grass and dry surfaces though.

If you anticipate driveline windup on the part time 4WD. Do some contact patch tuning.

2 sheets of paper, a jack and a tyre gauge.
Lift a front tyre, turn it so you've got a groove dead center under the hub, slide under the sheet of paper, slowly drop and lift the tyre again.
Hey presto you're LJ's front contact patch.

Repeat for a rear tyre.

Drop and raise tyre pressures untill the imprint on the sheets match.

The benefits.
Same distance between center of your hub and the ground front and rear. This minimises driveline windup and improves MPG.
The back of the vehicle is starting to do some gripping work when cornering and engine braking.

Every users manual will state more pressure in the back than the front.
Thats because they asume you only use a tyre gauge now and then.
And the back is fully loaded.

Often contact patch reveals just the opposite.

Back