Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello

John Taylor

Country Flag
england
I have owned my 1996 80 GS 4.2 Turbo D manual (the poverty model as I heard it called) since 1998 bought from (lady) owner with 12000 on the clock. Recently had to have a new clutch at 283000, thought I might complain to Toyota about that?
Very few problems in all those years, the SS roof no longer works and the front windows are a bit sticky when it’s cold, mechanically it’s good and I love driving it. Still pulls like a train what an engine!

Attachments

• SAM_3496.jpeg
    SAM_3496.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 11
  • SAM_3508.jpeg
    SAM_3508.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 9
Welcome John. i bought a GS years ago from a farmyard in Lincs, been stood for many years. Started straight up. I dont use it much, its done 90K. I had the gearbox out at about 85k to try and improve the change into 2nd gear and the clutch driven plate was nearly worn out. I replaced it with a Delphi unit which gives a nice feel on take up.
Yours looks to be pretty tidy example.

I have owned my 1996 80 GS 4.2 Turbo D manual (the poverty model as I heard it called) since 1998 bought from (lady) owner with 12000 on the clock. Recently had to have a new clutch at 283000, thought I might complain to Toyota about that?
Very few problems in all those years, the SS roof no longer works and the front windows are a bit sticky when it’s cold, mechanically it’s good and I love driving it. Still pulls like a train what an engine!
Hello John, welcome in!
Youre among fellow nutters now and no judgement on GS or VX or any of the other multiple unpronounceable gender identities will be passed in here.
Thats a lovely truck!

Btw.... I think its a disappointment that the clutch failed so prematurely at 283k miles... must have been a bad'un. Id write to your MP if I were you.

Hello John, welcome in!
Youre among fellow nutters now and no judgement on GS or VX or any of the other multiple unpronounceable gender identities will be passed in here.
Thats a lovely truck!

Btw.... I think its a disappointment that the clutch failed so prematurely at 283k miles... must have been a bad'un. Id write to your MP if I were you.
Thanks for the welcome, it’s interesting to know that I am not the only nutter. My other vehicle is a 1960 MF35, I use the Cruiser for taking her to shows and to tractor runs that are too far to reach on the Fergie directly. It’s a great combo of vehicles both built to work hard and stay the distance. It seems the problem with changing down to 2nd in the GS is not uncommon but with a little nudge of the gear stick towards 1st and then back to 2nd usually means an easy change.

Thanks for the welcome, it’s interesting to know that I am not the only nutter. My other vehicle is a 1960 MF35, I use the Cruiser for taking her to shows and to tractor runs that are too far to reach on the Fergie directly. It’s a great combo of vehicles both built to work hard and stay the distance. It seems the problem with changing down to 2nd in the GS is not uncommon but with a little nudge of the gear stick towards 1st and then back to 2nd usually means an easy change.
I think at 238k, downshifting to second without a bit of resistance would be a tall order .... so all things considered, I think you're doing ok

Regarding the change into second gear I think it varies box to box. Although very low mileage mine needed a double declutch to go down from 3rd ( or a nudge against the 1st's synchro). I had a new 2nd gear synchro ring installed ( the rest of the box was like new) but it only partially improved the change. I have waiting a box out of an "Amazon" badged model which is the answer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back