Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help i have Bad Vibrations

On top of my prop issue it sounds like (from what I heard today) I have a CV joint to do too.... :icon-cry:

Well I got the parts in this afternoon. I wasn't going to do them tonight but got a couple of other jobs done in the yard so was left alone for a while. 4 new uj's in and just done a test drive and all is back to normal. I played it safe with the slip joints and only gave them 2 pumps:whistle:.
When I get go work tomorrow I will mark on the planner the mileage and keep uptogether on this now. I checked and double checked the circlips so hopefully all is good now.
The only thing I forgot to do was measure the backlash, if the uj's hold out I will measure them later in year when I change the clutch. Once again thanks everyone for the tips and input.
Cheers, Mark

Just greased my 4 UJ's. It's surprising how black the old grease is when you pump until clean grease comes out. Microscopic bits of UJ bearing.

Good to see it sorted Mark.:thumbup:

I'll be checking mine this w/e after all this, but I know they were greased through just before Christmas...

Thanks Clive.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to check them every month or so especially if it is your daily driver as is mine.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, looking at changing out my UJs and was wondering if there any special tools required for popping out the bearing caps in the yoke or is it just a case of BFH and suitable sized drift?:violence-hammer:

Dave.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On A1ALL i greased the propshaft every 4500 as I did a full service at that interval. there was a line of grease across the underneath next to every U/J. At 150K they were still the originals and still perfect. The grease gun, most important tool in the workshop!

Andy

The grease gun, most important tool in the workshop!

But not the biggest. :lol:

Mine are still original at 140,000. Similar to Andy I have lines of thrown off grease. One is across the middle silencer. In France I saw how fast the LC would go and got 104 mph indicated for several miles. To my horror I thought the engine had blown because in the mirror all I could see was a cloud of smoke. Twas the grease burning off.

all you need is a vice copper hammer and a old socket and a flat blade screw driver to remove them just make sure you clean the yokes up before you put the new uj in and go carefull the roller niddles can tip when going in there is bound to be a youtube vid? i just change my front uj's due to a noise from the front on pull away and they are the originals with 151k on them. i wonder if the milners replacements ill last that long :whistle:

New uj's last an awful lot longer if you use a press and / or sockets and a vice to install them. A clonk with a copper hammer evens things out when your finished if ones a bit tight. if you simply cannot get one clip in, take it apart because a needle has almost certainly dropped.....
Lol, years ago I used to do 20 ujs in an hour using an air rivetter, good times ;-)
Remember you can also buy uj kits at any half decent bearing supplier, equal or better than oe.

Last edited:
I mainly used a screwdriver to get the circlips off and used the bench vice to press them out using a socket the same size one side and a socket bigger than the cap the other. Once the caps were poking out enough I gripped them in the vice and wiggled them out. I don't like beating the uj's about too much incase you close the yokes up a bit. Then on installing the new ones I pressed them in again using the vice, and making sure the circlips were well fitted:whistle:

Cheers, Mark

Back