Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help please what size wheel spacers ?

It's in the belief that you would drive with the tailgate open in which case the spare wheel obstructs the side lights.

Roger

Never seen a 90 series with a tailgate - mores the pity .

I guess the upper lights can wait i've just taken the sidesteps off and i have to agree with the mrs it doesnt look right so I'm off to B&Q to see what products they've got to make the step black . Paint won't last 5 minutes but with blacked out windows black body paint and black wheels the grey aliminium sidestep looks unfinished .

No doubt when i've finished tarting it up and start hitting the mud the steps will get replaced with rocksliders but for now the novelty new toy syndrome remains fresh !

Last edited:
My jap market prado has lights in the wings, its a right scary experience if you are parked up at night or on hazard lights with the rear door open, the spare obstructs one set of lights, and I obstruct the other, so vehicles approaching dont get the warning they should. I now carry an amber strobe for the roof if I am working at the back of the truck.

Haha you know what i mean a drop down tailgate would let me carry 8x4 sheets of ply in my 90 . But then i would HAVE to fix the proper lights in the bodywork .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My jap market prado has lights in the wings, its a right scary experience if you are parked up at night or on hazard lights with the rear door open, the spare obstructs one set of lights, and I obstruct the other, so vehicles approaching dont get the warning they should. I now carry an amber strobe for the roof if I am working at the back of the truck.
Thats why bumper lights had to be added , it still seems a bit cheapskate of Toyota to me though to recover the cost by not wiring up the body lights . These were expensive trucks when new .

Well side steps are now black i used sticky back plastic for the sides , i've been wanting to use that stuff for something useful since i first seen it on Blue Peter in 1975:icon-biggrin: , and i chose Isoflex for the tread which is a paint on rubber for roofs . Looks tidy enough but will give it a few days to dry properly before refitting them . I guess if the rubber lasts a week then it will last for years but the jury is out at the mo .

I've also got a new set of upper tail lights (fully wired) arriving tomorrow but could only get them with red white and red lense . My truck has orange white and red so i'm just hoping when i plug the new lights into the main loom i dont end up with a red turn signal . If i do i should be able to steal the wires out of the new lights to make the old lights work though .

And as for spacers it turns out i didn't trim the seam inside the arch high enough so when i was braking and turning at the same time the suspension compressed enough to touch the seam . I was baffled how such minor rubbing on the chassis could make so much noise , but now i know the chassis rubbing is not an issue at all . I've decided to put strut spacers in now anyway so i may as well wait until thats done before choosing a wheel spacer .

Fitted the new body tail lights but still nothing works accept one reverse light . I'm guessing the main loom is disconnected somewhere else , maybe in the fuse box . I'm tempted to just run wires from the bumper lights up to the body mounted lights so they get power that way but i will have to investigate more .

Fitted the new body tail lights but still nothing works accept one reverse light . I'm guessing the main loom is disconnected somewhere else , maybe in the fuse box . I'm tempted to just run wires from the bumper lights up to the body mounted lights so they get power that way but i will have to investigate more .

When I wired up my rear top tail lights, to get the brake and indiacator lights working, I used the wires that are already there. All you actually need is the correct plug loom which you can probably buy from Toyota. I didn't have this so I spliced some wires and made my own loom. Use a 12volt electric tester to see what wire powers what and then wire it up to the correct bulb holder.

Go to the scrap yard, and find toyota's or Japanese cars and remove the bulb holders along with the clips. On one side the clip went into the original one so there was no need to cut anything.

Thanks Beau but i bought lights with the loom and 3 bulbs already in . They plug straight into the main loom but theres no life at all apart from the one reverse light that always worked . Funny thing is my park sensors take power from offside reverse light - which doesn't work ?

His Shayne,

The 90 series (95) share some similar to the 120 series.
You may find this interesting, in getting your rear pillar lights working, and throwing off the rear bumper lights.

There is a rectangular white plug on the 120 series in each rear quarter section.
On the 120 series, the rear light clusters have the holes for the bulb holders.
However the bulb holders were not wired up.
It was quite easy to buy the additional bulb holders from Toyota.
Then fitted the additional required bulbs.
Then simply link the new bulb holders to the white plug in each rear corner.
I then replaced my LC3 bumper with a LC5 bumper, for the cleaner look.
Landcruiserrearlights22_zps2d87e671.jpg

Landcruiserrearlights7_zps221310bb.jpg

Landcruiserrearlights23_zpsb640a78d.jpg

Landcruiserrearlights2_zps204f0e65.jpg

I shouldn't clutter up the forum, as the 120 series photo's may have no connection to your 90 at all.

Gra.

Last edited:
Yeah the original top tail lights were designed to have holes and the bulb socket can be twisted out to replace blown bulbs . The holes are there but still solid i imagine you could very easily just push your thumb through the blank ones and be left with the proper hole . I bought new lights simply because they came fully wired up with bulbs and were still slightly cheaper than buying just the light loom from toyota !

They plug straight in but something is amiss anyway because the original lights have one bulb for reverse on the near side which works , and one bulb either side for side lights which should work but don't .

If i can find the fault i fully expect to end up with a red turn signal as there is no orange lense on the new light unlike the old . But thats not a worry because if it happens i can just swap the loom over and put the old lights back in but fully wired with 3 bulbs each .

Been reading about how other people went about getting the top lights working and no two have used the same method . The only thing they all agree on is the drivers side reverse light will not work take power from the main loom and needs a wire run from the passenger side reverse light . I've decided the simplest solution is to do the same with all the body tail lights . Just cut the wires to the bumper lights , splice each one with a length of wire coming off it , then run the wires up through the body and connect them directly to each bulb socket . That way when i use the bumper turn signal the one mounted in the body should flash to , same with the brake light and fog .

I reckon i win the numpty of the week award . I don't even have a turn signal on the body lights its just the working fog light has faded the red lense to a much lighter shade of red than the dummy light :doh:

Sidestep looks good in black and i reckon it will last for years i'm just sorry i've never used that isoflex before because now i understand its curing process i could do a far better job .
Sidestep004_zpsb856bea5.jpg

Back