Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with my wiring - Running a light onto a switch

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Hey Guys,

In the process of wiring up my pump for my auxiliary tank but have a couple problems.

So basically I have a simple two way switch running the pump currently which works fine, wired in on Ignition. I want to use a 12 volt light so that I know when the pump is on and off. Light on = Pump working and vice versa.

I've tried running the wires in series, but then the pump does not work, but the light works as it should off the switch. I've tried running the light in parallel and this works, both light and pump, however the light is on constantly and only switches off when the pumps in operation. No matter what I do, I can't manage to have it the other way round...

Hoping someone can help me out...What am I missing?

The light just needs to be fed from the switched side of the switch so when you flick over, it not only sends power to the pumpo but also power to the lamp. Earth the other side of the lamp to the chassis or other handy point. I would use an illuminated switch myself which does all of that for you.

The light just needs to be fed from the switched side of the switch so when you flick over, it not only sends power to the pumpo but also power to the lamp. Earth the other side of the lamp to the chassis or other handy point. I would use an illuminated switch myself which does all of that for you.

Tried this and the light worked but no power to the actual pump... I just used what I had hanging around

If you have the switch and the lamp in series the lamp will work but will not pass enough current to work the pump. If you have the lamp in parallel with the switch the lamp will work when the pump is switched off as it will 'see' the earth though the pump motor and illuminate but will go out when the pump is switched on as the switch effectively shorts out the lamp and no current will flow through it.
Wire the switch in series with the pump and the wire the lamp across the load or 'switched' side of the switch and earth. As Chris has said, an illuminated switch will be the best/simplest option.

Last edited:
Back