Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from a LC newbie in London

GingerMermaid

Hi ya'll,

I'm currently a LC virgin but am looking to step into the fray by buying an 80 series and heading off on some multi-continental expedition driving - nothing quite like throwing yourself straight into the deep-end!

Have visited the site as a guest a few times over the past twelve months whilst casually looking into what sort of vehicle to buy, but as I've now taken the time off work to properly prep and plan for the trip, I thought it was long past time I actually got registered and started asking questions.

Looking forward to meeting you all (virtually speaking) and hearing your advice and tips as I find, buy and kit out my first over lander. Exciting times :)

Welcome GM, there are more than a few people on this forum who will be able to offer advice relative to their experiences based on buying, preparing and travelling in an 80 series.
Don't think the first step will be easy though.

Andy

Welcome to the forum!

Always good to see another 80 member joining up!

What model(s) would be at the top of your preferred list ?

Ideally a manual 1997 4.2 Amazon with vertically opening rear gate (is that a HZJ8?LNM model?), no real preference between GX or VX, sub 200k mileage and some kit already on it, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. :)

I've been looking for a while and annoyingly missed out on a great one I saw back in January - it first one I looked at and at the time didn't realise what a find it was. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

:text-welcomewave: Hi Ginge and welcome to the forum, whereabouts in London are you, I'm South in Morden.

Hi GingerMermaid!

Welcome,:text-welcomewave:, Welcome!!!
Hope you find the "one" you're looking for!

Crazy Dutchman

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi GMan

Keep us updated - I'm in NW London

Ideally a manual 1997 4.2 Amazon with vertically opening rear gate (is that a HZJ8?LNM model?), no real preference between GX or VX, sub 200k mileage and some kit already on it, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. :)

I've been looking for a while and annoyingly missed out on a great one I saw back in January - it first one I looked at and at the time didn't realise what a find it was. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As I know it, all UK models have the lift up hatch with the drop down tailgate. Mine is European spec and has rear barn type doors, opening sideways.

HZJ Refers to a non-turbo diesel, (like mine) but most find them too sluggish.

In my opinion go for an HDJ (that's the Turbo diesel) and look for OEM all 3 diff locks. The petrol FJ 80 is usually cheaper to buy, but rather thirsty,unless you have LPG conversion.

googling will assist you with the various models, VX, GX etc...

Thanks for the warm welcome! And thanks for the advice and engine code clarification Clive, very helpful. I'm definitely after a diesel over a petrol - I don't want to be struggling to find fuel on route.

Hi GingerMermaid.

Found your 80 yet?
Seen quite a few pop up all over the place.
Well, best of luck and hope to see it soon!

Crazy Dutchman

It's a big place London, whereabouts in London?

Hi GingerMermaid.

Found your 80 yet?
Seen quite a few pop up all over the place.
Well, best of luck and hope to see it soon!

Crazy Dutchman

Not yet unfortunately :( Have been in and out of the country a lot over the past couple of months and keep seeming to miss them when they come up. Am back in one place for the moment though so if you see any good ones out there please shoot details my way.

Back