Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi to all from Tonka Tuff now being a first time Toyota owner

Tonka Tuff

Country Flag
australia
Hi to all from Tonka Tuff now being a first time Toyota owner:
Located in Redcliffe QLD and sold the boat to purchase another toy that's not quite so weather dependant.
I'm running a newly purchased used Toyota Prado with lift , winch , and a few other bits of candy so I'm not starting from scratch.
Long story but lets say I will be out and about on the tracks real soon with a rig that should get the job done.

20180623_143353_resized.jpg 36753817_10214397929133527_6133725791365627904_n.jpg 36841813_10155724158728652_1798521699843440640_n.jpg

Welcome! Great forum with knowledgeable (not me! :)) and friendly people.
Lovely looking truck and a GREAT covered area to keep the cars. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Good stuff. Welcome to the boards. You're certainly in the right place.

Hi to all from Tonka Tuff now being a first time Toyota owner:
Located in Redcliffe QLD and sold the boat to purchase another toy that's not quite so weather dependant.
I'm running a newly purchased used Toyota Prado with lift , winch , and a few other bits of candy so I'm not starting from scratch.
Long story but lets say I will be out and about on the tracks real soon with a rig that should get the job done.

View attachment 146559 View attachment 146560 View attachment 146561

Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing some of your trip reports, thrills and spills, or just great photos of your adventures, you’re certainly in one of the best locations to enjoy the best from your truck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome Mate, Great looking Trucks. They put my old Colorado to shame.. I'm jealous..

Welcome Mate, Great looking Trucks. They put my old Colorado to shame.. I'm jealous..
Thanks, The Ranger is the work truck / also my entry to 4x4 trips but didn't wont to scratch it so the Tonker Tuff gives me the chance of release and still have something to go to work on weekdays if I get it wrong (as one will)
Cheers

Welcome. Nice to see another 120 owner around here. Is it petrol or diesel?
Thanks, Yeah it's a petrol !!!! I really was chasing a diesel 4x4 but this one came up with lots of fruit and a brand new 20,000 K genuine NEW Toyota motor fitted by Toyota so I just couldn't pass it up at $10k as is, Drives like new and only need to personalise it a bit more with lockers and sliders and a few other bits & bobs.
Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks, Yeah it's a petrol !!!! I really was chasing a diesel 4x4 but this one came up with lots of fruit and a brand new 20,000 K genuine NEW Toyota motor fitted by Toyota so I just couldn't pass it up at $10k as is, Drives like new and only need to personalise it a bit more with lockers and sliders and a few other bits & bobs.
Thanks for the welcome.
Great intro - we love pics! 10k is really cheap & should go some way to offsetting the extra cost of fuel.petrol Is 10c/L more expensive here in Spain , what's the score in Oz?

Great intro - we love pics! 10k is really cheap & should go some way to offsetting the extra cost of fuel.petrol Is 10c/L more expensive here in Spain , what's the score in Oz?
I was looking under the car when I filled it for the first time, I knew it had 2 fuel tanks but after the 1st $100 I was wondering when the pump was going to click off.
The $200 pasted & I checked inside on the floor pan , !!!!! Where is all this fuel going ???? Finally at 282.6 it was full.
I must have looked like a Muppet when I was filling it lolol

I was looking under the car when I filled it for the first time, I knew it had 2 fuel tanks but after the 1st $100 I was wondering when the pump was going to click off.
The $200 pasted & I checked inside on the floor pan , !!!!! Where is all this fuel going ???? Finally at 282.6 it was full.
The unleaded is €1.25 & the Diesel is €1.14 here.how does it compared?

WOW that'd be £375 worth here!!
I'd love a V6 120, are LPG conversions popular over there?
And welcome from another new guy

LPG is in general, not so sure in 4x4 but quite a few Nissan's run it.
Me being a engine reconditioner up until the mid 90's and back then every man and his dog was converting.
Personally I hate the stuff, The damage I saw due to it being such a dry fuel was extensive and lots of fly by nighters making & selling oil injection to compensate for the problem made good money.
I could go into a lot more detail of the requirement's for LPG but serf-ice to say the requirement's that LPG & Petrol engines are very different Compression ratio / ignition timings / advance curves / valve guides & seals / Valves & valve seat all com into play.
While due fuel set up's are around but non are 100% on both, Far better to have 1 only fuel and the engine designed for the selected fuel.

Interesting, I read a while back Toyota valvetrains needed extra lubrication running on LPG, I know a guy running plain gas injection on a 90's jeep 6 cyl without any dramas but those engines are very basic which probably makes it less fussy.
One of the big positives of a petrol engine is the simplicity vs diesel so I guess it makes sense to keep it that way!

Back when I was doing engine design I did my Fathers 308 Holden motor for LPG only, Went the whole hog because my boss at the time let the boy's use the equipment free of charge after hours and weekends.
We only paid for parts back then.
Deck heights were done , Weld-Tight inserts , Can & degreed in , Dizzy rebuilt with curves done for LPG , Bronze guides , Valves hard faced & upgraded springs , the list goes on.
I even ported & polished the heads and manifold and it was dynode at Memmott's here in Brisbane.
The thing made great power & toque but even with everything done right the rings were all broken years later while doing a engine freshen up.
This happen twice before we dropped the LPG and reprogramed the engine back to petrol.
Things may have changed since then with technology but I will never go back to LPG and as the price difference is not that attractive as it was back in the 90's petrol 'V' LPG difference would take a lot of travel to get the pay back for the cost of the conversion

Back