Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Beam not working

Brett

Country Flag
uk
I changed my radiator at the weekend & had to remove the lights to get the rad out.

Also had to take out both batteries & trays etc.

I didn't disconnect any of the lights I just undid the mounts & moved them as necessary.

Anyway, everything is back together & working except high beam on the inner headlights, I'm still getting the high beam on the outer headlights & the indicator lamp on the dash illuminates, but the inner lamps (H1's) aren't doing anything.

I've had a quick check for loose connections & blown fuses & can't find anything obvious, has anyone got any ideas before I take the lamps out again :roll:

I was wondering if a fusible link in the battery cable has gone, but I think I'd have lost all headlights, not just the inners on the high beam setting?

What One Paul, there's 2 of the little blighters :think:

Headlamp Relay or Headlamp Relay dimmer?

Are the inner ones not switch operated from the switch above the mirror adjuster?

Don't know about yours Dave, but that switch on mine is a rotary switch for dimming the dashboard illumination?

As you didn't remove the wires but only moved the lights, you may find that a connection is simply not connecting. The inner lamps (bulbs) have a ridiculous design that take a positive connection and make it distinctly un-postive. You simply need to push on the plug more firmly.

Otherwise the Headlamp relays in the bonnet box near the ABS spaghetti is a good place to check.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have tried pushing the connectors on harder but no good.

I'm going to have to wait till the weekend to check it out properly.

Cheers.

Brett, Mine is a 1993 80 series & the inner lamps are switch operated from the switch on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

Hello doing a bit of Hijacking ! mine gave up the ghost last night .fuses ok ! Now the main beam light on the dash does not come on .Is this because the steering colum switch is us or does it only come on if the main head lamp relay is working ?? if so then relay is naff .there is 12v to the relay connection on 2 connections.

A bit more hijacking, yesterday I was in the back of my 80 and after closing everything up went to leave the garage when I saw the headlight shining on my tool chest, I thought 'funny, I don't remember switching the lights on' so checked and they weren't on. Started looking for a short or something, getting ready to disconnect the batteries, when I happened to cross in front of the beam and the headlight went out without me touching the truck, :oops: it was the bloody sun shining through the window onto the headlight reflector and casting a beam across the garage. :angry-screaming:

Back