Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hjz75 front axle conversion

Landmover75

Hey I'm looking at converting my 75 series ute's front axle from either a 79 series ute or 80 series wagon, the reason is I want coil suspention at the front. Just wondering if any can tell me the Length of all 3 axles hub to hub? Any input would be great. Cheerz

hi, welcome to the club. :thumbup:

i dont think theres anybody on here whos got a 75 or 79, as there wernt sold over here. :thumbdown:

all we got were the light duty 70's and then 90's (prado's) we didnt even get the live axle 105 models! :(

so im afraid you may get a better response, or at least find the answers to your questions on:-

http://www.ih8mud.com/
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum

Welcome to the club! Are you in the UK? If so, your best bet for a swap will be the 80 series but the diffs and gearing are different so you'll have a fun time getting that all sorted if the axle is of suitable dimensions.
Why not fit spring mounts to your existing axle? Yes, there will be some substantial mods but at least you know the gearing is right and the diff/props/t-case are all lined up etc.

Another place to try is the LC Club of South Africa as they have lots of 75s and 79s so you could get more qualified responses on the challenges involved with your plan ;)

79 and 75 series same tread width at 1425 mm
80/81 series is 1575
if i was going to head down this road i would use a LJ/KZJ70 front diff and all the donor parts. buy one with a blown head for cheap, and you won't find an easier, cheaper way to stick coils on the front of another 70.
make sure you match the gearing.
to go coil you need a high pinion front diff.

post up a thread, it would be fun to follow along.

As Andrew said, it would be easier to modify your existing front axle, using leading arms from a coil sprung model. Then, when you have done the front, you can do the back. It also means you keep the heavy duty axles.

Roger

have you seen where the springs mount?
have you seen where the link flows through?

the advice is poor.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
3 posts up ...
he never mentioned which vehicle he was thinking of doing this to so i suspected it was a 7* series.
the 8* axle is much too wide unless he did front and rear with huge fender extensions to cover the tires...

Crushers said:
3 posts up ...
he never mentioned which vehicle he was thinking of doing this to so i suspected it was a 7* series.
the 8* axle is much too wide unless he did front and rear with huge fender extensions to cover the tires...

It's an HZJ75---see subject title---and Andrew and I suggested he modify his existing axles.

Roger

missed "my" ... :oops:
so, have either of you actually done the conversion? :?:
have you compared an 80 or 79 axle with the 75 to see all the in's and out's? :naughty:

what i am saying is, if you are going to make suggestions then shouldn't you do your homework first? :whistle:

there is more to it than just sticking a set of arms and coils on :think:

And what I'm saying is,

"When you are in a hole, stop digging".

No, I have not done the conversion, because the need for me to do it has not arisen. But does that mean it can't be done? Of course not, it just needs someone to look at all the odds and try it. I would imagine that most of the defining moments in the history of man started with the thought "what if we tried----", and ended with "eureka".

Roger

you asked "what do you suggest?"
and i answered.

how long have you been working on 7* series cruisers?
how many mods have you undertaken?

the simplest coil spring conversion will be to utilize what is available.
the front diff of a post 75 is the same strength as the LJ/KZJ7* so why not cut off the parts from a donor, weld and bolt them on to the 75?
of course the OP didn't state what he was trying to achieve, better ride? better articulation? better????

you need to clear the arms
you need to clear the center unit

you CAN reinvent the wheel if you wish
and
yes it can be done, it has been done many many times.

but

most coil conversions that i have seen both on the web and in person look like crap and handle like crap.
why do you think that Black Diamond sold their conversion kits for $4K? why do you think they stopped selling them? :twisted:

i am not saying don't think outside the box, it is what i do for a living. :cool:
what i am saying is ... if the original poster can not find the information for the axle widths then is he capable of finding the information needed to make a SAFE coil conversion? only he can answer that one. :?:

i do not know YOU, i don't know your capabilities. :|
i do not know Andre, i do not know his capabilities :|

but screwing with a front end is not recommended :naughty: for those who can not see the full picture.

comprenda? :doh:

Crushers said:
you asked "what do you suggest?"
and i answered.

how long have you been working on 7* series cruisers?
how many mods have you undertaken?

the simplest coil spring conversion will be to utilize what is available.
the front diff of a post 75 is the same strength as the LJ/KZJ7* so why not cut off the parts from a donor, weld and bolt them on to the 75?
of course the OP didn't state what he was trying to achieve, better ride? better articulation? better????

you need to clear the arms
you need to clear the center unit

you CAN reinvent the wheel if you wish
and
yes it can be done, it has been done many many times.

but

most coil conversions that i have seen both on the web and in person look like crap and handle like crap.
why do you think that Black Diamond sold their conversion kits for $4K? why do you think they stopped selling them? :twisted:

i am not saying don't think outside the box, it is what i do for a living. :cool:
what i am saying is ... if the original poster can not find the information for the axle widths then is he capable of finding the information needed to make a SAFE coil conversion? only he can answer that one. :?:

i do not know YOU, i don't know your capabilities. :|
i do not know Andre, i do not know his capabilities :|

but screwing with a front end is not recommended :naughty: for those who can not see the full picture.

comprenda? :doh:

1) No you didn't.

2) 16 years.

3) Hundreds. See my posts on this forum plus Difflock plus the other Toyota forum.

4) That's what I suggested.

5) Now you are making suggestions.

6) If you want to know why the OP wanted the conversion, you should have asked.

7) If it has been done many times before, why say the suggestion was flawed?

8) A certain UK based company marketed a disc brake hand brake for the KZJ 70 that had problems. Maybe Black Diamond were in the same boat. Either way it's irrelevant.

9) And you are still digging.

I see no point in continuing this discussion. You and I will obviously not agree with each others points of view. In future I would suggest you refrain from bringing into question other peoples abilities.

Roger

you are right, this discussion is irrelevant ... for you to continue.

you have added nothing to it. :violin:

how is stating:
the dimensions the OP asked for, not adding to the thread?
who else did?

suggesting:
using a front axle assembly and associtated parts from a light duty 7* which has the coil front ... not adding to the thread?

it must be the air over there that is clouding the minds. :snooty:

but what ever children, carry on ... although i love the Jokes thread.

Cossack said:
Crushers said:
you have added nothing to it. :violin:
And neither have you. :snooty:
Crushers first post on this thread is the only one that answers the OP's question so how do you come to your conclusion that he added nothing Chas? Sorry to call you on it but I see a lot of hostility in this thread to the only person answering the question :doh:

Back