Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hole in my air box

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Yesterday when taking out my air filter I noticed an elongated hole about 2" x 1/4" in the bottom of the air box near the edge, obviousy original, so why is that there, :?: the hole would let in water from the bottom anyway, so what is the point of fitting a snorkel. :confusion-confused:

Re: Fitting snorkel question

sounds like you're missing the rubber bellows that go underneath that hole if I'm remembering correctly Chas.

'There's a hole in my airbox, dear Chazza, dear Chazza... There's a...' Ah you get the drift :mrgreen:

I'll try & get a pic of Muxley's for you later on Chas :thumbup:

Gav Peter said:
'There's a hole in my airbox, dear Chazza, dear Chazza... There's a...' Ah you get the drift :mrgreen:

I'll try & get a pic of Muxley's for you later on Chas :thumbup:
Hahahaha, thanks Gav, a pic would be good. :thumbup:

Chas,

I think you should have a clip-on metal dust collector bowl and rubber or felt gasket under there - I'd stay out of the deep water until you've rectified that!

All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

The airbox on my 90 also had a couple of holes in the bottom. Not sure why they were there but I just siliconed them up when I fitted the snorkel. I think there were a few others on the otherside who had done the same at the time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The little holes are condensation drains. The big one on the 80 has a hinged debris collector under it (well, both my 80s did :lol:)

If they are condensation drains, should we be sealing them up? I had sealed mine up because there was some water at the bottom of the box after I had waded through some water. I had put the water down to spray within the engine bay that made its way into the tub via those holes. I have not had any water in the box since.

After fitting the snorkel I've sealed mine up! Just have a peep once a month when you do oil & water checks etc to make sure its all ok

yes its a dust tray when i fitted my snorkel i found it was full up

Back