Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How does a KZJ 70 drive on standard suspension /wheels?

Geo

I've always had a lift and mud tyres on my KZJ- thinking about reverting back to standard suspension and height so I can use it more as a daily driver (I could do with a van/truck at the moment).

Don't get me wrong it drives nicely enough considering its lifted and has big mud terrains on it just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the standard set up....

I've had a few range rover classics and they drive really nicely at standard height with standard suspension, it seems mine is bouncy (wheels?) and a bit over stiff (heavy duty suspension?) by comparison......

Mud tyres will give you a noisy and harsh ride. The more plies in the tyre construction will , usually, but not always, increase this harshness.

Suspension mods will usually, but again, not always, increase the roll and harshness of the ride. It can depend on whether you have progressive or single rate springs and heavy duty springs and shocks i.e. hard.

Springs and shocks need to be matched to the loads you need to carry. This is why a pick-up truck has a harsh bouncy ride when running light. Put a tonne of sand in the back and it's a lot happier.

You need to try a standard model or a properly modified one to make a comparison. The club has a meet next month, the 13-15th May at lincombe in Worcestershire. If you could come along you will get first hand info. on what to do/not to do to your motor.

Roger

Thanks for the reply Roger, good info there and you're totally right I could do with getting myself to this meet! (scurries off to check diary.....)

I think the ride is pretty good on standard suspension and tyres. It's a short wheelbase rear-wheel-drive car on the road with quite a high centre of gravity, but you don't really notice it except in the wet when you have to be a little more cautious on bends to prevent it from swapping ends! But you'll know how yours handles - it will be a better road car on standard springs, shocks and wheels/tyres.

What is your current lift height/tyre size?

Tyres are BFG muds 285/75/16.

Suspension is OME springs/nitrocharger shocks with medium duty rear springs and heavy duty fronts

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You're right John, no doubt it will be a better road car on standard suspension.

Looking at LR defenders - seems they often get away with lower overall height with off road set up/mud terrains without rubbing issues.

I guess I'm thinking could I do it a simlar way to reduce the centre of gravity to stock whilst retaining the aggressive look and ability of mud terrains and tyre width?

Smaller diameter tyres will also give a faster rate of acceleration and the brakes will also work better.

You mention having heavy duty shocks on the front - do you have a winch fitted?

Pete

I reckon that you will need an uprated spring to cope with the extra weight at the front - this can be standard height of course.

How about going for a lesser lift than you have ie 2", with heavier duty springs, and something like 31x10.50r15's - still an increase but maybe a bit more road friendly than you have currently, you can lose the front arb which will soften the front end for road use still.

You could go up to a 33" tyre using a 2" lift if you wanted to.

Pete

Back