Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How has your truck hurt you?

fridayman

Garage
After reading in another thread how someone hurt there thumb working on their LC and then couldn't handle tools properly, it made me think about how I've injured myself working on mine and then getting frustrated because I couldn't carry on or hold the tools properly. None of my bikes ever did this to me. First and worst was when I pulled a muscle in my forearm because the copper hammer that I bought to change UJ's was far too heavy, and possibly because I forgot to take the circlip out... :oops: . I got quite good at doing things with my left hand for a while. I also heard something tear in my hand (was very weird) trying to undo a VERY tight diff drain plug bolt - thankfully someone on this forum had advised me to undo the drain plug before the filler bolt!

So how has your truck hurt you?

After this week, most damage was done to my wallet :thumbdown:

Bonnet came down on my head two weeks ago. Gas struts are giving up and it hit me. Really hard. And it hurt! :cry: :cry:

Cry Baby Chris

whenever my truck hurts me I hurt it back with a lump hammer.... you should see the state of the bodywork :whistle:

Chris said:
Bonnet came down on my head two weeks ago. Gas struts are giving up and it hit me. Really hard. And it hurt! :cry: :cry:

Cry Baby Chris
I had this happen last week, but the bonnet still had snow on it so could have been the weight that did it.

The worst thing was trying to undo some wheel nuts, pulled my back just below the shoulder blades, it got worse during the day, and during the evening went for a piddle looked down to see where I was aiming, as you do, and the pain was so bad that I nearly collapsed on the toilet floor, spent 3 days in bed and took ages to heal, not easy when you do removals for a living.

Learnt my lesson on this one, and now always use a long bar on wheel nuts.

We were due to get off on holiday in March this year; all loaded up & ready for the off ON TIME for once - even the kids were all sorted... As I drove Tonka (our Colorado) off the drive to swap him & Muxley round, there was quite a clunk. I got out to find a lump of metal on the road with a rubber bit in it. It took me ages to find out where it had come from but it turned out that one of the anti-roll bar arms had snapped. The top bit was still attached & just hanging there looking like it would get in the way...

Not wanting to ruin my schedule, having failed to shift it with a spanner, out can the angle grinder. Just whip the bulk of it off so it doesn't catch on anything I thinks... In my haste, the grinder slips & bounces across the top of my wrist resulting in a nice deep gash... I have a silver band which took a bit of the cut but I know have quite a good scar about 1½" long...

I set off to the hospital to get it looked at but halfway there I realised I didn't have a pound for the carpark; fortunately, one of the neighbours is a nurse so she lashed it up for me, I got back under the truck, chopped the bit off & off we went on holiday slightly behind schedule...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
. I have a silver band which took a bit of the cut but I know have quite a good scar about 1½" long...

I set off to the hospital to get it looked at but halfway there I realised I didn't have a pound for the carpark; fortunately, one of the neighbours is a nurse so she lashed it up for me...

Not wishing to belittle your injury (and I'm sure it was far more serious than you'd want to use the following method for) but I've found duct tape to be an excellent way to seal cuts.

fridayman said:
... None of my bikes ever did this to me.
Yeah but that was when you were young and fit ;)

Just lying under my LC holding my head off the ground gives me neck ache the next day now
rob.gif

piers_finlayson said:
[quote="Gav Peter":25pr9e4d]. I have a silver band which took a bit of the cut but I know have quite a good scar about 1½" long...

I set off to the hospital to get it looked at but halfway there I realised I didn't have a pound for the carpark; fortunately, one of the neighbours is a nurse so she lashed it up for me...

Not wishing to belittle your injury (and I'm sure it was far more serious than you'd want to use the following method for) but I've found duct tape to be an excellent way to seal cuts.[/quote:25pr9e4d]Not at all Piers - I too have found the benefits of that product along with insulation tape!!! :lol:

Bat21 said:
Just lying under my LC holding my head off the ground gives me neck ache the next day now
I'm aching like that from Saturday's efforts... :violin:

Bat21 said:

I'm aching like that from Saturday's efforts... :violin:

I always get neck ache as well, I'm old :cry:

I did manage to wack myself on the head when removing a spare wheel from the roof bars this year, that hurt :shhh:

Bloomin eck, I forgot my 'head-burn' from the 500W halogen lamp under the truck on Saturday afternoon... Ouch!!! :doh:

I slipped in the mud at Lincomb and the nato hitch hit me right up the jacksie as I fell against the back of the Cruiser, the next day my bum looked like a victoria plum :shock: no, don't laugh :naughty: , it was very painfull.

I must go at it like a girl then because so far it's just been the usual cuts bumps and burns you'd expect really :mrgreen:

Not my current truck but some years ago on a LR.
I was laid underneath pulling down hard on a spanner trying to undo a nut. The nut suddenly gave and the spanner smacked me a good one in the nose. One broken nose and lots of blood. :thumbdown:

The good thing is that this was the fifth broken nose I have had and this last one almost straightened it :thumbup:

Chris said:

Cry Baby Chris

You wanna be careful when working under the bonnet next time Chris.

You wouldn't want to put a dent in that lovely white bodywork would you? I suppose you could always wear a helmet! :lol:

No worries, almost done under the bonnet now. mind you with all that snow, I had to use the shovel to prop the bonnet up this weekend. Helmet? Ha ha if only you knew what I did for a living. But that was on another thread.

Chris

Touch wood I haven't had anything serious working on the cruiser other than general cuts & aches & pains :thumbup:

A while back when the wife had a Discovery I done my shoulder a mischief when changing the rear anti-roll bar ball joints.

One of the nuts was super tight so I got the breaker bar on it, still couldn't get enough leverage. So laying on my back I braced my leg up against the chassis rail & gave it my biggest Pull...

Followed by a loud "Pop" noise & sensation in my shoulder :o It's never been right since.

I got the nut undone though :thumbup:

No repair or maintenance injuries (other than the odd grazed knuckle or whatever) but one day simply getting out, awkwardly by all accounts, I twisted my back some way and could hardly move for a week till whatever muscles I wrecked got better.

Other than that, so far so good.

Errm, lying on my back checking under the truck did a huge sneeze and head butted Gav's speacial head butt proof bash plate, and snapped my head back so hard i hit it on the tarmac, Thankfully stopped a bit dazed at the point and did not get stuck in a bash and smash loop.

Bright as a button, thats me.

Back