Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How much lift needed to fit 255/85-16?

Probably need 50mm suspension lift and at least a similar body lift.......the member "Wobbly" (Pete) has 255/85-16s fitted and he has something similar done.

I fitted that kit to Pete's truck for the previous owner. It's a tricky thing. The issue is clearance against the front mud flap. Some fit bigger tyres with no problem and others do the same thing and they catch like hell. It's mostly to do with the caster angle. I think that as the bushes wear, move, settle in etc the wheel moves back slightly. An easy and cheap way to push the wheel forwards is to fit top spacers in strut tower.

Either way it's quite a bit of work, money and messing about. There is already a thread running of this if you have a look. You can get 35" tyres on, but again it's lots of work.

The car has got 265/75-16 fitted with no problems so I'm hoping a 35mm kit is enough. Any thoughts on King Springs?

I have Kings Springs. They give a great ride, but didn't give me 50mm lift with my setup - diesel, steel bar, winch, dual battery, aftermarket bashplate. I have KTFR58HD in front. At the back I have mediums which seem fine with a large steel/ply rack system, 80l fridge, and tools/recovery gear (the 3rd row seats are removed).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok. So 35mm King Springs probably make much of a difference then

To get lift I fitted Bilstein shocks that have 3 clip levels for the spring seats - I am on the middle clip position to get roughly 50mm lift. If you don't have a steel bullbar and winch, you might get a lift though.

bilde%u00252520%u002525285%u00252529.JPG
I put my 255's next to my car. Not sure if a 2" lift will be enough ? :)

Attachments

• bilde (5).JPG
    bilde (5).JPG
    985.2 KB · Views: 1,273
I fitted that kit to Pete's truck for the previous owner. It's a tricky thing. The issue is clearance against the front mud flap. Some fit bigger tyres with no problem and others do the same thing and they catch like hell. It's mostly to do with the caster angle. I think that as the bushes wear, move, settle in etc the wheel moves back slightly. An easy and cheap way to push the wheel forwards is to fit top spacers in strut tower.

Either way it's quite a bit of work, money and messing about. There is already a thread running of this if you have a look. You can get 35" tyres on, but again it's lots of work.

Chris -> Do you have a link to this top spacers to the strut tower??

I tried my 255's on the car. It looks quite ok actually. No lift.
IMG_2555.JPGIMG_2554.JPG

My rims are LC 70 series. They didn't fit so I couldn't test drive.

They look good.

However the problems/scrubbing usually starts when the wheel is turned and/or under articulation.

So, just to confirm - you have fitted 255/85/16s to your standard Colorado/Prado with no lift and you don't have any issues with rubbing even on full lock or under articulation?

I must admit, I am a bit surprised. But hey, make the most of it! :icon-cool:

Well, I couldn't drive the car so I'm not sure about articulation. However, looking at the gap between the wheel arch and the wheel I guess a lift will be needed. I know the plastic in the wheel arch has been trimmed a bit.

Haven't done anything more to test out my tires

Had some fun in the snow this weekend. I had snow chains at the back but in the front the clearance on the inside of the tire was not so much so I took no chances.

2015-01-24 21.20.28.jpg10947191_10152941751035358_7281654342951359395_n.jpg

This photo is from a guy who have fitted 255/85 to his car. Comparing the clearance I'm pretty sure I'm fine
Photo 2013-06-02 21 25 22.jpg

I started out by fitting 285/75 R16 on 16x8 zero offset wheels to my swb 90 and with a bit of trimming to the inner arch seam (above the mudflap) they went on and it was drivable but they rubbed to much and I wasn't happy . I fitted coil spacers , can't remember how thick the were I think an inch spacer gives you a 50mm lift on the front whereas at the rear a 50mm spacer gives you a 50mm lift and all was good .

Then I decided I wanted wheels spacers to bring the wheels out a bit and worked out I needed more lift to make that work and so added a body lift 50 or 60mm I can't remember ? Ultimately I ended up getting different wheels with a minus 32 offset and all was good I even kept the mudflaps most sacrifice .

Until it was time for new tyres , I had originally bought part worn tyres and now know they had far more wear than I realized making them about a 32 inch tyre - the brand new cooper stt is definitely 33" and maybe a bit more (I haven't measured them) .

A bit more seam trimming and the mudflaps removed sorted it so there you go :thumbup:

This might help http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=255-85r16-285-75r16

Incidentally since doing all this I have wondered if 285's on a zero offset 16x9 rim might have proved easier to fit given a wider rim reduces diameter of the tyre slightly though I've no intention of buying a set of wheels just to find out .

Hope this helps .

Last edited:
Back