Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I don't believe it... ggrrr rant moan - PDA has died...

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I have - or had... an HP Travel Companion PDA
it ran windows mobile, so had basic office apps, email, onboard GPS
also Tomtom.
and more importantly OziExplorer and Anquet maps
and a dash mount

i had it plugged into PC usb port last night, updating OziExplorer routes for spain, when power to house was lost briefly in a thunderstorm...

now the PDA wont start, i have tried both soft and hard resets...
charging light isnt coming on anymore

bloody typical, 2 days before we head for spain - tomtom and Ozi were going to be our primary navigation aids...

I do have a 10" screen netbook (which we are taking anyway) and a dell laptop (which we might also take now) with oziexplorer on them as backup plans! but they dont have tomtom or screen mounts...
and paper maps!

so tomorrow, I will be looking for a new device.... doubt i can get anything that combines a windows mobile and tomtom anymore..
so will probably have to be a separate tomtom sat nav
and a tablet (with dash/windscreen mount) to run Oziexplorer, - which has a beta version for Android, which might be best bet.

what a pain..

anyone know of good devices? and under £350

Thats a bummer AC... :evil:

Eric's TomTom seemed to recognise virtually all of the tracks that we were following Andy; my Garmin did a few later on in the trip but I wasn't running it for the first few days so don't know how it covered them...

I'm afraid I cant help with PDAs... If you want to borrow my carputer & 12" screen you can with pleasure.

I have an 8" touch screen and RAM Mount you're welcome to use ...

Thats a bit more local than me Gaz - good man :thumbup:

thanks for offer gav

I have ordered a new battery for pda, and getting it posted to worksop, from where we depart for Hull on monday
that "might" get it working again, i doubt it though

otherwise, i will borrow a tomtom off friends/family for the mainroads

rather than rush out and buy an android tablet tomorrow e.g. Dell Streak 7 tablet or and Acer Iconia Tablet A500

i think we will use the Acer netbook (+ dell latitude laptop) - connected to gps and oziexplorer for the trip
main problem is the co-driver would have to hold it on her lap most of time, since we dont have a dash mount...

If you come through Edi you can pick up the screen etc. I can also go for a drive :lol: and meet you half way somewhere??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"I have an 8" touch screen and RAM Mount you're welcome to use ..."

thanks for offer Gary - very kind of you - will ponder that one - as may save the co-driver holding a computer on her lap!

- does that screen plug into a laptop ? and what style of connector?

are you close to Edinburgh ring-road and around sat lunchtime? since we are heading down A68 to durham

Just in case, did you miss Gary's offer?? Could help move the pc off co-pilots knee... :cool:

Hope you get sommat sorted cos Jon's software made the navigating a lot better than just following the tulip diagrams; having the two together is a great combination :ugeek:

EDIT: Mr Slow Post again :oops:

mmm - guess what - the little "feck^%$$!!£" pda just came back to life when i hit the power button a few more times in fustration.....

10mins after i ordered a battery....

may still be interested in borrowing that mount/screen gary - just in case this bugger dies again

Connects via standard VGA connector for display with USB for touch drivers. Then has ciggy lighter connection for power (or AC adapter). The RAM Mount is a single leg POD-1 that bolts to the front seat mount. Vibrates a little, so I used duct tape to stabilise it against the dash ...

I'm very close to the Colinton ramp on the bypass - could meet you at Shell Dreghorn if needed

I say Galvin. Speaking of navigational aids, did you ever get anywhere with my Garmin GPS V?

Not rushing for it back if you don't need it. Just jogging your memory. Perhaps it's with my replacement bash plate :whistle: (only kidding going to take the sledgie to that in a bit)

Chris

thanks for offers of help guys!

will most likely stop by in Edniburgh on way south to borrow the screen/mount off mr stockon

now this has prompted me to do a carputer build - so this winter i will be busy!

I look at it morning & night Chris as its on my bedside table & think, clikey, I must get that back to El 'Ombre at some stage... :oops:

Ahh, no worries there mate. Fair dinkum, cobber.

Cwis

Thanks to Gary!
I picked up his touchscreen and RAM mount on way past Edinburgh today - minor diversion, 4mins! off our route, and although he wasn't at home his daughter was there to give me the screen/mount.
Great favour - really appreciate it. what a great community this is, 4 others also offered me pda's to use!

my pda currently working, but you could guarantee it would fail again in spain!

andy

Back