Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Idle rpm

So as I understand the situation from all your help, remove non return, replace with new length 12mm I'd pipe, source missing link rod from and wax sensor.

I would just remove what you have left of the ascd.
Adjust your idle if needed.
You can purchase or make a blanking plate, just use some shorter M6 bolts for mounting.

I read somewhere on here, that revelation and fitting a blanking plate would have a negative effect on emissions. They are very strict here in Spain.

That would be blanking an egr

Thanks, I have a 2006 Iveco and touch wood she has never regenned. The hdj80 doesn't have any of this ccomputerisd crap which I why I bought her I hope I will get a new gasket for it and use that as a patern to make a plate and get a pre itv test done. Cheers Bud

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just thinking about removing and blanking off the acsd, will getva new gasket tomorrow, but with it already missing the conection rods
what will that achieve.

Is the “ASCD” that you are talking about the “Auto Cold Start Device” or ACSD?

Yes Michael80 looked at the photo of the injection pump and saw a lever was missing. Not got round to taking it apart yet. I live in the wilds up a mountain so need to be sure it will still drive after I mess with it. I cant get a blanking plate here so would prefer to get a new unit and missing lever.

I live in Spain and run a small garage come mobile mechanic business here for many years, but have been sidelined due to health issues.

I own a 1994 80, same engine. I removed the Automatic Cold Start Device many years ago, in our climate it hardly affects idle speed, with it removed and the removal point blanked off it is job done. I have read a few times about a small 'tang' that operates the timing can break off and leave the pumps damaged, given some of the isolated places I visit alone decided I would rely on the glow plugs to get the engine started if need be, the truth is being a direct injection engine they are not really needed. Although they may help with cold running emissions? The pump is very common on many diesel engines, the blanking plate will be sold to you (with gasket) for a few euros from any diesel shop, there may be one lying in a parts bin of old pumps, drive in and point to the area you wish to blank off and you can do it when you return home plate in hand. I seem to recall that one or two of the original ACSD screws might be too long or short? I used other screws from the another part of the ACSD assembly, forgive my poor memory if I am wrong. As the ITV emissions test is only carried out with a hot engine the removal of the ACSD has no effect on emission output.

I would do the following, get the engine to temperature by driving the vehicle, idling will take ages, so a good run perhaps ten miles? With the throttle disconnect from the pump reduce the idle speed to 750 rpm, if is seems (sounds) fast your revolution counter could be off, see how it feels when you select D, or R, I seem to recall your car is automatic, or have I gone adrift somewhere.....it happens. If gear engagement seems comfortable, the next step is park the car facing uphill and with it in neutral check what your revolution counter shows, write it down, next turn the car around and do the same again in neutral and check the revolutions. If they are different then it is most likely there is a small spring broken in the pump, if I remember correctly it is on/near the governor assembly?

Mine started doing this a few weeks or a couple of months after purchase, I investigated further and it is one of the jobs that can be done another day, I never got around to it, and up until nearly two years ago the car has done over 100,000 miles like this and does not bother me at all, even off road with the front of the car high in the air the slow idle does not give me any issues.

In case you or anyone else was wondering, I even bypassed the fuel supply assembly to confirm it was not the filter in the tank, or the main screw on filter, or the often overlooked filter under the plunger assembly in the pump, it is easy to do this, just drive around an area away from the road with a gallon of diesel tied to the roof or roof rack on mine, pipe to pump, bonnet on safety catch..........yeh I know! :rolleyes:

See if that helps, but remember to check all the base setting on the pump as described by other members first.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave2000, interesting advice. i have tried asking in a couple of diésel workshop around Gandia, no luck finding one so far.

Hi all after trying all the advice, it leads to an internal pump issue. In garage now for a full pump refurb, it's only done 260000 kms but I don't know apart from the obvious what's been done in the last 30 years, so will report back when I get the results of the refurb back.

Hi all after trying all the advice, it leads to an internal pump issue. In garage now for a full pump refurb, it's only done 260000 kms but I don't know apart from the obvious what's been done in the last 30 years, so will report back when I get the results of the refurb back.
Once the problem starts and you notice the problem most people leave it alone, in truth it does not get any worse.

Regards

Dave

True, just dont like the gbox absorbing the shock. Me probably being finicky. Lol

Not really a shock, bad choice of words, just doesn't feel like a smooth transition from neutral to drive.

Well if the car is in the garage then it is moot, FWIW the gearbox pump drive is very strong and not prone to failure.

Regards

Dave

I think what he means is the idle is too high so that when D or R is selected the vehicle is trying to move and having to be held on the foot brake.
It not very nice when you are trying to hold them back.

I think what he means is the idle is too high so that when D or R is selected the vehicle is trying to move and having to be held on the foot brake.
It not very nice when you are trying to hold them back.
Of course, but once you have made the adjustments I mentioned then idle speed will not exceed 800 rpm, and never lower than 600, the diesel engine is quite capable of idling at that low an rpm, and at the higher rpm certainly not high enough to bother the gearbox.

Regards

Dave

Update to my high tick over problem.
I decided to have my pump rebuilt by Bosch locally. Unfortunately I didn't find out what the fault was.
She was put through the ITV (MOT) today and flew through, no problems with emissions at all. Unusual here on 30+ year old vehicle they are keen to get them off the road. Cost was about 500 Sterling but well worth it for the peace of mind. Idle now at 600rpm. The cold start device was not replaced. Thanks to all for advice and suggestions for a solution.
Happy Cruising.

Back