Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

If it's not raining it pouring grrr

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Decided to take the truck out for a shakedown after recent works. A couple of miles from home I could hear a bit of a rattle from the back end and found this.

P1020396.jpg

P1020397.jpg

It looks like oil from the axle has got into the brakes, bit of a bugger and not sure if I can get this fixed before Lincomb. At best maybe the outboard oil seal, at worst maybe the bearing as well? God knows how long this will take to do and I would assume I'll have to do the other side at the same time.

looking likely I'll be doing Lincomb in the 120 unless a miracle happens. :evil: :evil:

Milners do a refurb kit for the halfshafts, oil seals, bearing, snap ring etc. If I get up with the sparrows tomorrow and go and collect I might just be able to do this in time. Anyone have a view on how good the seals are compared to OEM on this kit? I don't want to lose a day waiting for parts.

Me thinks you should just convert the 120... Seems like a lot if work ;)

Sent from TapaTalk

You've not met Mrs Trev, this IS the easiest route :lol: Half shafts came out really easily, very surprised. Get the kit from Milners in the morning (only 102 miles each way which makes it an expensive kit :thumbdown: ) then down to local garage to press out the bearings and put new ones in. The downside is I've got to take out and redo the bloody brake shoes with THAT spring again.

Looking hopeful for Lincomb now and am doing both the oil seals for the rear prop tomorrow night too. Bit stressy but enjoying it.

The Milners will probably get you through the weekend but unless they're OEM, I doubt they last too long. Have you checked the part numbers versus some of the previous gen Hiluxes? I would imagine there'd be some common parts so you might get lucky with your local Toyota dealer having some in stock. I mean you just MIGHT - it would be a first though :lol:

Seems a bit strange that the oil came gushing out like that though... be interesting to hear what you find when you strip it down. Has the seal torn or been displaced? If so, what's caused it...

No-one has mentioned another fairly obvious thing to check - the diff/axle breather :idea: a blocked breather might have resulted in the axle pressurising and blasting the oil out. Especially if the prop input shaft seal to the rear diff is leaking (I'm speculating that this might be the case as you mention doing "both the oil seals on the rear prop") Lots of seals leaking at once would point to breather problems potentially.... You might not have a stuffed seal after all... Check the breather before stripping the whole thing down :mrgreen:

I'll check the breather to be sure, it's been extended into the door pillar but hadn't thought about it so thanks for that. After removing the halfshaft tonight I can see the bearing is deffo knackered but will check the seals tomorrow in daylight.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trev, clearly I don't know '70s but 'press' the bearings out? Really. Don't they knock out with a drift? I am only 10 mins from Milners, be happy to pick up parts and bring them and we can do it in the field if you like on the day.

Chris

I'm boxed into a corner now, truck in bits, no oil in the diff, shagged bearing. I'm not convinced that I should put it all back together to try and drive it to Lincomb to fix it?

I can only go from the Toyo workshop manual regarding pressing out the backplate and subsequent bearing, never done this before.

Will be coming past your place on the drive up on sat if need a hand.

Looking at Toyo it seems to just be a single bearing in the hub on the rear. OK pressing it out is stylish, but there should be two grooves in the middle of the hub which you strike through alternately with a punch until the race comes out. I agree that driving it to Lincomb to fix is not wise - unless it was not already in bits of course.

Screenshot2011-09-27at224822.jpg

Chris

Cheers Paul, my plan is to have the 70 running by tomorrow night or midday Thurs at the latest and travel up on Friday.

If that all goes tits up then I'll come up Friday in the 120 instead.

Looks like all the bits in the diagram are in the Milners kit there, Trevor. Cheaper than the projected price on Toyo too at E122. Sorry, I don't have a Euros key it appears.

Chris

Looks like a semi floater Chris, like the back axle on LB so the bearings have to be pressed on and off no tapping them off I don't think.

Yes the Milner kit appears to have everything and they have it in stock for collection. I was made redundant a couple of months ago so £36 all in instead of the Toyo price is a big factor too, although I'm sure I'll be having to do this again at some point.

So on the road at 6-30 tomorrow.

good luck with getting it all fixed in time for Lincomb Trevor. :thumbup:

milners are usually very good at sending bits out, ive ordered loads of bits from them, and so long as i order before 5pm, the bits are always there the next day. :clap:

there have been a few occasions when i simply couldnt wait and have had to drive over though. :)

will be interesting to see what make they are when you get them.

i had a look at my rear ones today, and there koyo, the same as the front ones.

the front ones i just bought from milners were koyo, so lets hope the ones you get are too. :thumbup:

By hook or crook Ben, determined to bring the 70 up. Let's see how tomorrow goes and yes I'll check the bearing make before fitting.

Yes, maybe Jon. Maybe. I do recall the issue with LB as you explained it when we had the axles out. Just wasn't sure if the 70 was a little simpler in being able to pull the axle out of the hub that was all. There is a special service tool for it.

Was wondering if the difference was the snap ring and rear bearing retainer. Any chance it just slides off?

Chris

Was at Milners at 8-00am this morning, got the parts which now at the garage with the halfshafts. Not Koyo bearings anymore but no idea if the new make is any good or not. Checked diff breather by blowing down the end in the truck and seems clear.

Oh yes, when I was at Milners I cheekily asked if I could get any discount (bought 3L SAE90 and some DOT4 too) as a club member. "Never heard of it mate" was the reply :o but they did knock a bit off in the end.

P1020398.jpg

P1020400.jpg

P1020401.jpg

Half shafts back in now with new bearings and seals, brakes redone. Propshaft off and waiting for seals tomorrow morning. Rear brake pipe across the axle got busted so another being made up tomorrow too.

The N/S bearing had collapsed, the additional movement in the half shaft had compressed the top of the seal and allowed the diff oil to blow from the bottom. Although the O/S bearing didn't fail, there was excessive movement so glad both have been sorted before the weekend.

Nearly done now.

Back