Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Indicatator flashing rapidly

Jack P

Country Flag
great_britain
My offside indicators have started flashing quicker than normal. Thought it would be a dead bulb but all OK. Bad earth possibly? Other side is fine.

Anyone else had this?

You may have a LED bulb fitted and that does not have enough resistance to make the relay flash at the correct speed

No led bulbs anywhere. I think it's a bad earth somewhere. The problem went away since my last post, but funnily enough it did it again last week.

Probably worth removing the bulbs and checking for corrosion (unlikely as it's a Landcruiser) and to see that the correct wattage bulbs have been fitted. My experience with Jap motors is that they tend not to suffer so much with bad earths as something like a Ford for example as they tend to use wires and proper individual lampholders rather than hideous steel strips in plastic holders like others (Ford) do. This tends to minimise the corrosion too, if not prevent it entirely. Sometimes bulbs break the filament and become intermittent. Do you have a trailer socket fitted? These often present problems especially if the connections were poorly made or get water in etc. Also the bleeper relays can cause problems if water gets in.
Hope this helps.

Thanks StarCruiser.

I'll go round and check all the bulbs later.

Yes I do have towbar electrics which I fitted using the Toyota wiring harness, so has proper connectors.

Back