Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Indicators and hazard fuse blowing, then won't start: battery?

ManOfTheWest, I messed about with that bugger last week when I initially had a problem, mine wouldn't come undone either despite efforts like you. I left it in the end as there was very slight movement coming on the battery post. It was on the old battery I wasn't too worried about. Do not try excessive force when attached to your new battery, however tightly clamped, there is a very real danger of you seriously loosening or breaking away the battery post which is moulded in the casing and attached to the plates inside on your new battery.
Mine lined up very well anyway on the varta, as Trevor said, so didn't need any adjustment. That kink in the cable - what is that all about, its flexible enough without going to that nonsense that Mt T has engineered.

Also looking at your picture of the clamp fitted, my clamp is on the other way up so would sort your problem without doing anything
Actually it won't - this was the easier option! If I could get the clamp to bend the other way it would be a different story.
EDIT Looking at it again, maybe you're right, but it would be better if it I could adjust the clamp angle...

Last edited:
I left it in the end as there was very slight movement coming on the battery post. It was on the old battery I wasn't too worried about.
In the end, I put in the old battery and managed to loosen off the reluctant nut. Now I've got two new Yuasa batteries in the engine bay, one that fits perfectly and one that's a bit large. I should probably have gone for the pair of slightly-too-large batteries on eBay that somebody kindly pointed out to me at the start! Oh well, lesson learned.

And my indicator fuse is still pinging. Could it be the trailer hitch electrics?

Last edited:
ManOfTheWest, good to hear your battery and leads problem solved. I am no electrics expert but what you suggest with towing electrics is well worth a shot.
I have towed all sorts of stuff and the standard of wiring by diy or companies, sometimes leave a lot to be desired.
Main problems nearly always go back to connections/scotchlocks, especially if badly done.
I would start along these lines and if poss disconnect/isolate indicatorsn to towing socket - 12N, black one if you have twin electrics. Then try it again
If a smart relay was connected in the system for the extra load imposed and warning buzzer for indicators when towing, check the connections there, hope this helps. John

In the end, I put in the old battery and managed to loosen off the reluctant nut. Now I've got two new Yuasa batteries in the engine bay, one that fits perfectly and one that's a bit large. I should probably have gone for the pair of slightly-too-large batteries on eBay that somebody kindly pointed out to me at the start! Oh well, lesson learned.

And my indicator fuse is still pinging. Could it be the trailer hitch electrics?

I had another good measure up of where the batteries would fit, and they must be a tight fit those larger ones i linked to earlier in the thread, not only longer but taller too.
Would you advise going for them when the time comes please, or should i just stick with the same size as the ones previously fitted?
Last thing i want is a short to the bonnet or summat and some 1400 total cold cranking amps suddenly heating the bonnet and surrounds till it glows red and then bursts into flames.

Would you advise going for them when the time comes please, or should i just stick with the same size as the ones previously fitted?
I don't think they're that much taller, but I haven't measured. I would still be tempted to go for two of the original size.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think they're that much taller, but I haven't measured. I would still be tempted to go for two of the original size.

Much obliged to me learned friend.

Despite not always getting a long enough run to keep them topped up i never have any issues with Mr T's own standard sized batteries installed presently, i was being a greedy blighter thinking of grabbing that really powerful pair of Yuasas simply because they were such a bargain.
Sense will reign again when the time comes and standards it will be, thanks.

Back