Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

International driving permits post brexit

moggy1968

Please find below information I received from work regarding IDPs post brexit. Typically the EU can’t decide on a uniform approach. I carry an IDP but have never needed it in any country I have driven in, a photocard licence is more than adequate, and there is no reason we would need one in the EU, but of course, as with all things brexit, they want to make it as difficult as possible. You can guarantee without one some French rozzer with an attitude will demand to see it.

‘As part of our “Brexit” due diligence and contingency planning, we are bringing to your attention the following:

Very Important Information - International Driving Permits

Driving in the EU after Brexit

The Government has confirmed that if there is ‘no deal’ then mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end.

This would mean that UK drivers wishing to drive in Europe after 29 March 2019 would need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP):

• A 1949 Convention IDP (Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta, Cyprus), or
  • A 1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries, Norway and Switzerland)
It has been estimated that up to 7 million IDPs may be required in the first year if there's 'no deal'

Driving in the EU

After March 2019, if you visit and drive in an EU country, for example on holiday or on business you will need to hold the following legal documents:

Your valid UK driving licence

The appropriate IDP (International Driving Permits)

You will need both types of IDP if you are visiting EU countries covered by different conventions, for example France and Spain.

The following International Driving Permits:

IDP 1949 / IDP 1968

Will be legal requirements to be able to drive in the EU, these can be applied for, from selected Post Offices from the 1st February 2019

You will need to carry with you when driving in Europe, your UK driving licence and the relevant International Driving Permits.

For further information and a full list of the selected Post Offices please visit the following website:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

A walk-in service is going to be available and the application process should take no longer than 15 mins.

How can I apply?

You can apply in person at selected Post Office branches. Use our branch finder to find the nearest Post Office branch offering this service.

To receive an IDP, you need to be:

· 18 years or over

· Have a valid UK driving licence

If you've just passed your test but haven't received your full UK driving licence yet, you're still allowed to apply for an IDP. All you need to do is provide your original provisional licence and your test pass certificate.

Once you've found a branch, it's as easy as filling out an application form. Just make sure that you bring:

· Your full UK driving licence - Photo card or older paper version licence

· The full application fee for each IDP required

· A passport sized photo signed on the back

· Proof of identification e.g. passport’

Interesting, will have to get one of them

I wonder also will we still Be able to get/use:

ADAC breakdown cover for uk/Europe

Sanef tolling gizmo for paying peage tolls,

Interesting, will have to get one of them

I wonder also will we still Be able to get/use:

ADAC breakdown cover for uk/Europe

Sanef tolling gizmo for paying peage tolls,
My understanding is Adac stopped taking new customers from U.K. a while ago

My understanding is Adac stopped taking new customers from U.K. a while ago
Actually used mine last saturday, very embarrassingly for a flat tyre on the beemer. They sent the aa out who, id just like to point out unsuccessfully, spent 45 minutes bashing the sh1t out of my locking wheel nut. So as i was only covered to be recovered to the nearest garage i rejoined the aa who put me on a little lorry back to watford to a garage of my choice. Got it serviced while it was there, aa plus service plus welding nuts cost 460 squid. An expensive trip almost to ikea!
As we all like pictures
20190113_160135.jpg

Another reason to grease the wheel nuts. Some books warn against it but I've done it for 40 years and never had a problem. Serviced a nice 2006 MR2 yesterday and needed a 4 ft tube on my socket lever for 2 wheel nuts. One undid with such a bang it stunned my hands.

If we do leave EU I can see mountains of ripoff fees coming down the line. And then there's other worries. What about roaming charges, the ban on credit card fees and airline flight delay compensation, all of which the EU jumped on?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The "key" was broken where theyd used a windy gun to do them up.
I only joined adac as it was 80 quid for a year and the aa wanted 200 odd for two weeks cover while on holiday.

Another reason to grease the wheel nuts. Some books warn against it but I've done it for 40 years and never had a problem. Serviced a nice 2006 MR2 yesterday and needed a 4 ft tube on my socket lever for 2 wheel nuts. One undid with such a bang it stunned my hands.

If we do leave EU I can see mountains of ripoff fees coming down the line. And then there's other worries. What about roaming charges, the ban on credit card fees and airline flight delay compensation, all of which the EU jumped on?
My understanding is use copper grease

Another reason to grease the wheel nuts. Some books warn against it but I've done it for 40 years and never had a problem.

I just put a squirt of wd-40 in the nuts assuming it will dry out pretty quick but the residue silicone should make for an airtight seal and prevent bonding .

This is a nice image that shows what are the countries where you are (technically at least) required to carry a IDP. I will have it with me just to be on the safe side.
Source
International_drivers_licence.original.png

This is a nice image that shows what are the countries where you are (technically at least) required to carry a IDP. I will have it with me just to be on the safe side.
Source
View attachment 155199
I don’t know when that information dates from but I have driven in a number of the countries where it says idp is required or recommended and have not been asked for one, even after an accident, or when hiring a car, or when dealing with corrupt police looking for any alleged infringement where they can extract a ‘fine’

This includes, as well as EU countries some of which are bizarrely on there recommending IDPs, Belarus, Ukraine, USA, Senegal, Mauritania and The Gambia.
Equally bizarre is that the map suggest you carry one for Morocco but not Western Sahara.
As with almost everything I have read in this subject it’s a very misleading piece of information.
As with yourself, when travelling outside the EU I do tend to carry one, but in 15 years of travelling have never once been asked it.

Last edited:
I got my IDL last week just in case as we are going to France on the 19th April also got an insurance green card thing

If not already got, one of these needed too.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2F25gAAMXQVERS2pnM%2Fs-l300.jpg

It’s as ridiculous as the need for IDPs. The number plates, and our driving licenses are internationally recognised by international agreements are are adequate internationally!

I would also point out that the ‘official’ advice has been for sometime to carry a breathalyser kit when driving in France, despite it being known for sometime that the law has been found to be unenforceable and therefore not implemented.

I was Duped into getting one years ago at customs, When we went round France in the Collie they practically made me go back to the shop to get one... 30 odd quid later....Its still rolling round in the back of the Truck somewhere... Unused:icon-cry:

I was Duped into getting one years ago at customs, When we went round France in the Collie they practically made me go back to the shop to get one... 30 odd quid later....Its still rolling round in the back of the Truck somewhere... Unused:icon-cry:
For a while you did have to carry them, then they realised the law was unenforceable and sacked it off.

Got bother my It's already as I have a trip to Bulgaria/Turkey and Spain this yaer

Back