Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman Snorkel fitting to LJ70

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Put the template on after removing side repeater and Landcruiser badge.

P1020309.jpg

I wrote on my template to make sure I didn't end up with a disaster

P1020310.jpg

Drilled into the wing with the 89mm cutter and piloted and drilled out to 16mm for the other holes.

P1020311.jpg

Jigsaw cut across the top and bottom of the 2 circular holes to finish off the aperture for the snorkel exit

P1020313.jpg

Offer up snorkel to pillar, mark up and pilot then drill out to 7mm

P1020314.jpg

Insert M5 stainless steel rivnuts, shame they pulled the pillar a tad

P1020315.jpg

Bolt into place

P1020316.jpg

That was the easy part, snorkel body fitted.

P1020317.jpg

Now to try and connect to the air box, need to move the PAS fluid resevoir and the electrical gubbins further back along the wing

P1020319.jpg

Now have a clear run into the corner, drilled a pilot hole.

P1020320.jpg

Bloody tight squeeze with the drill against the radiator but used the 89mm cutter again

P1020321.jpg

Nice hole cut.

P1020324.jpg

P1020323.jpg

Used door trim to cover the cut edge after painting with black oxide, was a bitch to fit as it kept pulling off when inserting the rubber tube. I had to use a ring spanner as a lever to gently squash the tubing so I could get the trim in place without the metal cutting the rubber. Put another piece in at the top for good measure.

P1020329.jpg

P1020327.jpg

P1020330.jpg

Took the snorkel body off, put some washing up liquid on the nozzle and with an assistant slid into the rubber tubing. At this point my trusty aide had to push the snorkel body forwards, towards the headlight so I could get the bolts to line up on the wing to reattach the snorkel. I also put a second jubilee clip on. After speaking to Paul at West Coast, he recommends not to use sealant on this connection.

P1020331.jpg

The next job was to cut off the pipe from the air box to allow a more square facing connection (it turns towards the battery and throws the pipework away from where I needed it) A piece of 60mm stainless was welded on. Also ground off the pipe bracket on the front of the air box (the bit you remove for filter changes)

P1020332.jpg

P1020333.jpg

Another piece of 60mm tubing was used to connect both flexible pipes, we had to weld on a 4mm strap on one end as the snorkel rubber tube is a wider than the original Toyota air box hose.

P1020334.jpg

A couple of jubilee clips later and trimming back the snorkel hose to fit. No sealant applied here either as it seems a very snug and tight fit. Also need to be able to split this connection in the future to change the air filter.

P1020336.jpg

Final job was to grind off the bracket that attches the PAS fluid thingy to the front bulkhead, make a bracket out of scrap to "throw" the position a little to the right from original.

P1020337.jpg

Job done, ready to play at Tixover on Sunday

P1020340.jpg

P1020339.jpg

Gosh, thats a complicated little beggar to fit Trev - Jim's seemed a lot less hassle to get in... :shifty:

Nice job dude - looks great :cool:

It was a PITA right enough but glad it's in. I haven't tested it yet, do I get someone to block the intake and listen for leaks?

if only you had a drill to do yours with then ours would have been neat :D

Trevor said:
It was a PITA right enough but glad it's in. I haven't tested it yet, do I get someone to block the intake and listen for leaks?
No mate, trust the force... :ugeek:

:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
looks great mate, tidy job. :clap:

Really good to see my old landcruiser :D , one I regret selling :cry:

@ Shaun, doing my best to look after the old girl. Mind you, your latest truck really looks the biz and the 3.0 will be a much better drive I think.

Thanks, its good to see some one appreciate and look after it ! :) Put a bit of work into while I owned it, got a few pics along the way. Yes the 3ltr is a nice drive, would of been one of the modifications had I kept it. ;)

Back