Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it a car or a paddle steamer?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, what can I say. I dropped in to see Charles at JCS tyres yesterday meaning to have a chat about this and that and came away with a car full of rubber. I bought steel rims with them. He had a lovely gunmetal grey wheel which matched the bottom of the truck, but he only had 3. So it had to be black.
Insa Turbos in 33". I want something in 35" to be honest but when I measured everything there that claimed to be 35" it wasn't. But came with a 35" price tag. The only one to be spot on was the Cooper STT 35.12.50.16. But there were not aggressive enough for my needs.

So here we are. Not bad on the tarmac. Little drummy at slower speeds but when cruising along they are fine. He did a good job of balancing them too. Charles is a keen mud plugger and has tried just about everything going so he's a font of tyre knowledge. Plus all the feed back that he gets from customers.

These tyres are for play only - they are not a daily drive or holiday tyre. They are essentially insurance. I have no desire to try extreme things in this 80. I don't want the damage. But what I don't want is that sliding out of control oh no here comes tree brace for a crunching noise.

Even threw in a cuppa.

P1000415.jpg

P1000416.jpg

P1000413.jpg

P1000417.jpg

Chris

B52 bomber could have been in the tital also Chris :lol: :lol: :lol:

They look well mean :cool: , have you just dropped them on there to try as a couple of the pics have the tyres going in the wrong direction, then again the nsf seems to have pics in both directions :?

They are a fantastic pay and play tyre thats for sure, in my opinion they are too aggressive for any sort of green laning.

They look the business, Chris :thumbup: It'll be interesting to see how the road noise evolves as they wear.

Do I note the return of an old reg no too? I take it this isn't the result of a stealthy 4am stalk on Lil Blue at Lincomb with your screwdriver in your teeth? :mrgreen: Not that Tony would have been roused by the Concorde landing in the field :sick:

Very nice Chris.... what are they?

WTF... how did you sneak those plates back :shock: :lol:

Well I was passing Tony, and I saw Lil Blue sitting there, so I just whipped them off and left the old plates. :cool:

Yes J66, they were just plonked on for the photo. Mrs Chris went out to the shops and I took the opportunity to get a shot from the side without her car in the way. When she didn't actually come back, I put the right wheels on the right axles.
Appreciate they may be too much for laning, but then laning isn't my thing. But looking at some of the recent laning pics, I might need them!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks great.

When we did the lanning trips around derbyshire i had insa turbos on and they did really well. I think thats the reason for gav doing a deal with jon on the simex. On rocks with his lockers on he had to take another go at times when he had the coopers on. With my insas on and no lockers didnt have any issues :thumbup:

I think you will love them :thumbup:

Bit rumbly on the road but get to mud and fun and better grip. Hopefully shropshire will test them for you :thumbup:

"Is it a car or a paddle steamer?"

no its a rotavator! multiuse landcruiser

Chris, looks great, I agree a set of tyres is going to be cheaper that getting panels fixed from slip sliding into a tree or two in the long run
So what size did you end up with? 285 75 16?
if the 35's aren't 35, what size do the smaller ones measure at?

Yes, Julian 285. I had the same thought but didn't measure the ones labelled 33. My Coopers are 33. it seems as though you get what it says on the tin with Coop.

I'm guessing that in the main they'd have measured up as 31". It depends on the rim width as well of course and inflation pressure. But you can't stretch a casing that much, I'm sure. Incidentally, these Insas, with no air in would support my weight - not even on the rims! Not sure I need to put air in them at all :lol:

Chris

:clap: looks excellent :thumbup: my Friend in a L rover has them fitted and are very impressive in the mud even on a L rover :lol:

Joe

Nothing wrong with a LR, as long as it's running.

Ahh. Right. There was a chap before me getting 5 new tyres and rims on his Disco. Man what a rot box. Anyway, he's entering an event where one of the vehicles in the convoy has to be running at all times and it's 48 hours IIRC. Not the same vehicle, but any one of..... yeah, Ok you got it. And he said (his words not mine) they were looking to put together a team where at least one of them wasn't a Landrover!

Chris

they look great Chris! :clap:

they are perfect for the lanes around shropshire and IMO you will do less surface damage to the lane with those than a normal mud tyre, as i doubt you will be spinning your wheels going up wet slippery inclines, those tyres will just grip.

i used to have insa turbo special tracks on my suzuki and they are a great tyre! :)

maybe i will have to pay Charles a visit next saturday. :think:

He has absolutely stacks of tyres! I had the last 5 of these though. He'll get more but best to check if there is something in particular. He responds quite well to emails but as I saw on Saturday, he's often too busy to answer the phone. What are you after? I had a good look in his sheds.

Chris

i want something similar to yours in 35"+, and idealy for 15" rims.

my truck is just a toy, so im happy to have some aggressive tyres on it all the time, i dont do many miles anyway. :thumbup:

Hmm, very little in that range. I think I posted some 15" links from his site on your original thread. Can't remember which but I think they were the Silverstone Extremes. But like I say, when I measured them they simply weren't 35". The Cooper STT is a cracking tyre, but only an MT really not an extreme. Gav had a set on Muxley. They looked the part. I'd say for laning they be great. But they have a whopping price tag really. All set to go up even more I understand.

Chris

Back