Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is the fuel filter on the VX heated ?

Dr Bob

There are some wires going in to the top of the fuel filter. Is it heated ?

The reason I ask is because I intend to run my new ride on bio/WVO. What activates it and can I switch it to manual ?? Sorry return key not working !!!!! Bob

I assume it's the same system as my KZJ70, in which case it's part of the "Winter Kit" that Toyota UK specified. The system is automatic and constant. If you wanted to, you could split the power lead and put a switch in line but why would you want to?

Roger

Sometimes I get some very good quality used veg oil that only needs de watering and filtering but I like it to be less viscous and I was wandering if the standard fitting would do the job before the heat exchanger warmed up but if not I'll knock up a glow plug block.

The Toyota heater is there to heat and thin the diesel for winter use, so it will reduce the viscosity but to what extent !!!!!

More importantly, especially for winter, they fitted a second battery.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like it's not working . It has an ignition feed but certainly not getting warm . Is this a permanent feed or is there a temp sensor of some kind that switches it on and off ?

The ign feed powers the fuel heater relay which in turn supplies power to the vacuum switch built into the heater unit. With a vacuum of 10.24 ins/Hg applied to the vacuum port of the switch there should be a resistance of 0.5-2.0 ohms between terminal 1 in the heater connector plug and the switch body. With no vacuum applied it should be open circuit. If the vacuum switch is knackered the heater will not function.

Many thanks. The feed I am talking about is to the heater unit in the filter itself thats without the engine running.Can't see any vacuum unit to operate it.

Bob

The vacuum switch and heater unit are one piece. If the vacuum switch isn't working the heater unit must be replaced.

The vacuum switch and heater unit is in one piece and is fitted on top of the filter unit. Look for the wires that go to it. The vacuum part is the bit at the bottom that you can't see without removing the unit. Vacuum is presumably created when the engine is running. As fuel is drawn from the tank into the fuel pump via the filter/heater a low pressure i.e. vacuum, is formed.

Which begs the question, "why bother"?

The engine needs to run to provide the vacuum.

The engine needs to run to provide the power from the ignition circuit.

So what's the point of the vacuum switch?

Or am I missing something?

Roger

The heater was kaput! But as there was a feed and 22 amp relay there I used it to put a 200W element in the line:icon-biggrin:. Work in progress.

Attachments

• fuel heater 1.JPG
    fuel heater 1.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 68
  • fuel heater2.JPG
    fuel heater2.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back