Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just purchased my first cruiser

greengrass

Country Flag
england
Hi all,
Just purchased my first cruiser. Had a string of Hi-lux's over the last
15 or so years so thought I'd get a cruiser to keep my d-cab company.

Its a 2002 swb d-4-d , I'm really impressed with how it pulls compared with the 'lux'.

Just wondered if there was any known problems with suspension or transmission etc I should check for before putting it to work towing and offroading??

:icon-biggrin:

If its an auto, replace the rad if its not been done already.

Injector seals seem to get a mention as the other weakness, but I dont know why!

Other than that, should be fine.

Pete

Welcome! In general, the 90 series D4D is bulletproof, tow over 2 ton regularly with mine and never even thinks about it. The Handbrake is the only flaw i have found in an otherwise unstoppable truck. Search the forum for the solutions should it arise. Keep it serviced and it will run forever

Hi all,
Just purchased my first cruiser. Had a string of Hi-lux's over the last
15 or so years so thought I'd get a cruiser to keep my d-cab company.

Its a 2002 swb d-4-d , I'm really impressed with how it pulls compared with the 'lux'.

Just wondered if there was any known problems with suspension or transmission etc I should check for before putting it to work towing and offroading??

:icon-biggrin:
If its an auto, replace the rad if its not been done already.

Injector seals seem to get a mention as the other weakness, but I dont know why!

Other than that, should be fine.

Pete
I think if it is the D4-d (1KDFTV) then I am not so sure the engine coolant radiator is combined with the auto box cooler.

They may be separate items by that era.

Gra.

I think if it is the D4-d (1KDFTV) then I am not so sure the engine coolant radiator is combined with the auto box cooler.

They may be separate items by that era.

Gra.

I think all 90 series with auto boxes, regardless of whether they were petrol/diesel/TD/D4D etc have the integrated ATF cooler built into the radiator.

This may have changed when the 120 series was introduced but I'm not that familiar with that model's variations.

Hi Chad,

May be you are right.

Perhaps it wasn't the change of engine that resulted in the separating of the two coolers, but more so the change in body.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fit an external oil cooler and then you wont be waiting to see if the combined one goes wrong.

Fit an external oil cooler and then you wont be waiting to see if the combined one goes wrong.

geo-smc;350677]Fit an external oil cooler and then you wont be waiting to see WHEN the combined one goes wrong.

gRA

Does the integrated cooler problem only apply to automatics ?

Last edited:
Cheers Chris i didn't think it applied to mine but having seen it mentioned so many times i just wanted to be sure .

Back