Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Keys

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
What do you guys do for new/spare keys. I got 2 with recent purchase, one entire but broken case glued shut and one with key shaft broken away from fob. Both have complete working chips.
I went to 2 local locksmiths this a.m. (real locksmiths not shoe repairers that sell everything else). One informed me he couldnt do it, the other more explanatary, saying I needed the computer card that came with the vehicle, as copies were computerised, unlike others that can be cut from an image of another key. The card is not available (3rd owner). He and the handbook are telling me that if I go back to Mr T with the vehicle they could download information and then supply me with a set of new keys complete with new chips, probably many excess £££. With Mt T that is in the case of lost keys, but I have keys and working transponder chips, just not in great shape, hence the need for at least one spare. What have others done to get replacements please ?

Timpsons in a Morrisons store quoted me £69 for a copy of the master key for my KDJ90 just yesterday , no fob just a key but what your saying explains to me why he inserted the key into a scanner before revealing the price .

I bought a flip key case nearly 3 years ago, still fine solid and working.
Look at ebay number
they can be found cheaper.

Note, this may not be the exact one i bought, but is very similar, the key is obviously blank when it arrives and you have to get it copied from your old one, and you transfer your plipper into the new case.
In the listing will or should be measurements you need to take from your existing key, because there are several possible blank patterns and shapes.

I've seen a thread somewhere where a chap is making key fobs out of titanium, again you can fit your innards inside, very good quality but these were getting on for £100 as i recall, can't remember where i saw that thread either.
Ah found a youtube about that titanium key

Last edited:
Shayne, I wondered what ir was the first guy did with my key, scanned it! I thought it told him if he had blanks in stock and where they were, doh!
Juddian, just about to look at that eBay one you posted.
Mine is a 2 button job as regards the titanium one.
Re the cutting of a supplied blank, not sure as the second guy saw the complete key I had and knew what I wanted but he couldn't help. Maybe he didn't have the blanks to copy my key, instead talking witchcraft computer stuff leading me to believe a computerised key cutter did the work from a download - beyond me !!.
I don't see any difference between cutting my key with the appropriate blank, and cutting a front door key, there is no gadgetry in the key shaft and nothing needs programming in mine. I can see the good discount I thought I had negotiated on this lc rapidly deminishing along with the batteries, - will be posting on that thread again in a bit

I haven't been to my local £2 for a door key cut cobbler yet but i know him quite well so i will see what he says on seeing the key and if he don't stock blanks i will probably buy one off the internet so he can have a go at copying in the traditional manner .

Sounds good to me Shayne, as you know him he will tell you as it is, not a load of bunkem that still leaves you unsure and still in the same position as before. I believe the blank is number toy43 but not 100% Must have been a while ago you got door key, wife paid £8 For Yale key last year but you may be on discount - lol.
I am sure you know, but as Juddian says check size as they do vary, not all on the bay give sizes, just stating if your key looks like picture it will fit - cobblers, the guy I bought lc from also gave me a new key that he purchased and had cut that was too long and wide. I filed down an equal distance either side and it went in but wouldn't turn due to length I suppose although profile looked same it wasn't in same area of old. cut up and binned!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought a second key from ebay for £12 but obviously it was a blank with chip inside just needed programming.
I watched a clip on YouTube to program your new key to your car and it worked as locked and unlocked the car. I had to get it cut to match my old key.
The guy cut the key and told me to start my car.
Surprise surprise it would not start as what the YouTube clip failed to tell you that it still had to be programmed to you ignition transponder.
The guy programmed to from scratch for £40 and works a treat.
Just get a blank toyota key with programming chip inside and phone around as long as you have an original ignition key it's easy.
I'm in Liverpool and if your not far away I can send you address of the locksmiths who done mine.
Timpsons would not do it for me and told me I had to go to toyota for a programmable key but could cut me a non programmable.

All in all the 2nd key from ebay cost me £52.:text-goodpost:

As TonyP said since you have the transponder key for original key just get the key he has stated above and just swop over your inside workings.

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161705600394?ul_noapp=true

Buy two coz these snap and then do this

56cab366-6a0d-4430-9b58-6d7c0312b687-jpeg.163296.jpg

I would hope being filled with liquid metal the ignition key won't snap and the fob will last much longer because i cut the key off it .

Thanks guys, been looking at all those not all include dimensions. What the key cutters don't seem to get is, I just need the empty shell with blade cut to my existing, as I have 2 fully working chips/transponders to fit in after without any of this programming and dealer nonsense that's not necessary.
Tony I am in Bournemouth so a bit far from the Pool, thanks anyway. Thanks to you others for taking time with suggestions. I have got another locksmith to try, failing that I will go to the cobblers !

£1.90 toyota shell key from ebay will do you and just get the key cut and swop the insides yourself easy task.
Good look anyway. :text-bravo::techie-ebay:

Yeah, that's what I thought Tony, how hard can it be to cut a key from a given pattern, these nobs down here dont see that and refuse or talk about the electronics bit which in my case has nothing to do with it. Perhaps when I get the blank and present both the penny will drop.

With Mt T that is in the case of lost keys, but I have keys and working transponder chips, just not in great shape, hence the need for at least one spare. What have others done to get replacements please ?
My only key had a crack in it from the day I bought the vehicle. It was OK until one morning I sat on it and broke off the shaft. This made it difficult to use the key, as you can imagine. I got a "blank" key fob with transponder and tried reprogramming the 120 using a complicated sequence of button presses and so on, but I couldn't get it to work.

Eventually I gave up and went to Toyota for a new key, which took two visits (one with my V5, one 10 days later to pick the new key up) and cost £185 or so. No, not happy about the cost, but wasn't happy about having an almost unusable key either. If it does break, and you can't get the vehicle to Toyota, you have a problem.

Regards,
Dan

TonyP, ordered a blank yesterday on fleabay to do what you and others have suggested so I can convince these idiots down here what's needed.
ManOfTheWest, As you have probably gathered I am trying to avoid main dealer route, (ok I'm tight) but with the new blank you had cut why did you not swap over your functioning innards, then no programming or extortionate prices. That's what I am intending to do as others, there is no electrickery in the key itself, it's the chip which can be transferred.

I wonder if anyone ever talked to Simon Holton about keys ?

Shayne, good thought, would Simon be the toyota dealer
guru ? Any contact info please ? Thanks

Its on here somewhere so i see no reason not to post it again - 01604788300

Thanks Shayne, will call when I get a spare 5 mins. and post whatever answer/results I get.

Back