Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kzj 78 Fuse box location (are there two?)

graysworld

Just bought a 1995 Kzj78. I have posted in the introduce yourself section and would like to ask the first of many questions! Are there two fuse boxes? I have found the one in the right hand footwell. I am trying to locate the electric window fuses as both of the rear windows are not working. Any advice greatfully recieved.

Regards Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Is there another fuse box in the engine bay, or behind the glove box ?

Thanks for the reply...If there is I can't see it! I would have thought there is one in the engine bay somewhere??

Graeme

Hi . Great truck. My wife's brother had one of these which got me into land cruisers as well. Just a quick note but have you checked that the safety button on the drivers door window switches isn't pressed in? I ask because it switches off the rear windows to stop the kiddies opening them when strapped in the back seats.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. The window lock button on the drivers door locks and unlocks the two front windows but I can't seem to get it to open the back two. I am guessing it is something simple for both of them not to work. Can't at the moment find any information in the manuals that I have downloaded from here. Also no one seems to have a drivers handbook for these vehicles which would be really useful to find. I am slowly getting a list of questions to post but thought finding a second fuse box or a fix for the windows would be easy!

Regards Graeme

Do the windows not work at all or only from the rear door switches? If they dont work at all try pulling the rubber tube between the doors and the pillars apart and check for broken wiring (if you haven't already done this). Opening and closing the doors breaks the wires off over time and stops the windows working. I have already done this on my 98 Colorado on both front doors.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The back windows don't work at all from the front or back. Front work fine albeit a bit sluggish. Will check for brocken wires.

Graeme

All good suggestions, - not sure how yours differs from the lj78 apart from engine, but there is a black plastic box engine bay/drivers side inner wing, with power stamped on it. As far as I remember there is only a large fuse in there, for a winch for example, I don't think there is anything else in there, but check. The fuses behind the panel you have found are not indicated on the diagram for windows, so is a mystery. I'm wondering if it could be a relay in there, also not indicated. You could maybe do a process of ilimination with relays by swapping them around one by one, but only like for like if there are several the same.
Apart from that, pull the individule rear switches, and with a meter or test lamp, check for power to each switch, you maybe need someone to operate switch/s with ignition on as part of this process.
I don't think it is the master switch on drivers door, as on my lj78 that locks/unlocks all windows.
I'm no expert, but I know from past experience, these 'little' electrical jobs can be a PITA.
Good luck !

All good suggestions, - not sure how yours differs from the lj78 apart from engine, but there is a black plastic box engine bay/drivers side inner wing, with power stamped on it. As far as I remember there is only a large fuse in there, for a winch for example, I don't think there is anything else in there, but check. The fuses behind the panel you have found are not indicated on the diagram for windows, so is a mystery. I'm wondering if it could be a relay in there, also not indicated. You could maybe do a process of ilimination with relays by swapping them around one by one, but only like for like if there are several the same.
Apart from that, pull the individule rear switches, and with a meter or test lamp, check for power to each switch, you maybe need someone to operate switch/s with ignition on as part of this process.
I don't think it is the master switch on drivers door, as on my lj78 that locks/unlocks all windows.
I'm no expert, but I know from past experience, these 'little' electrical jobs can be a PITA.
Good luck !
:text-goodpost:

I think your an expert, not sure what in but your are an expert :obscene-drinkingch:

Take the door cards off it could well be a previous owner disabled the mechanism , i know i thought about doing just that the second time kids lowered the tired electric windows and i couldn't wind them back up until i got off the motorway .

Thinking along those lines about disablement as per Shayne, my son had a Shogun, and the older kids by constantly leaning with elbows on armrest/switch area, with windows right down, they burnt the switches out.
I would still pull switches to check for power supply and/or burnt out switches, maybe the contacts are pitted and need a good clean. By pulling switches you have less dismantling to do initially.

Back