Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser LJ70 from the the land of the rising sun

Hi Karl2000,

I will be posting a picture with the fuse box and the readings I’ve got for each fuse.

I bridge the gear box reverse light switch to see if it could be that the problem. However, the lights didn’t come on so that means is not the switch. It is either a fuse or the cable from the switch to the lights.

There it is the readings

Attachments

• Readings.JPG
    Readings.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 34
Looks like you're getting a voltage off all those fuses anyway! When you test the voltage, do you check it on both sides of the fuse? Obviously if you only check it on the battery side, you will still get a voltage even if the fuse is gone.

As a quick check I always do a continuity test on the two pins of the fuse - that way you can whip down the fuse box and test them all in 30 seconds.

Keep thinking there must be another fuse box somewhere! Where are all the relays located?!

Does the reverse light switch work on the +ve or -ve? I'm on a rubbish computer so I can't open your wiring diagram at the moment!

Does the reverse light switch work on the +ve or -ve? I'm on a rubbish computer so I can't open your wiring diagram at the moment!

Managed to open it - looks like its switched on +ve. Do you get voltage on the battery side of the reverse light switch?

Have you got a manual or auto?

Thanks Karl2000 I did take the readings on both sides of the fuse the readings in the pictures are for the readings for each side which is always the same with the exception of one of them that one side gave me 11.65 and the other side -0. I can't find fuses anywhere else.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is manual
Thanks for that - I would check for voltage at the reverse light switch next. That could give us a clue if the problem is from the battery to the reverse light switch, or from the reverse light switch to the light.

I really hope so. What I'm planning to do today it is to change all the fuses that give me cero reading in the on position to see if that change anything

I really hope so. What I'm planning to do today it is to change all the fuses that give me cero reading in the on position to see if that change anything

If you get a voltage on one side of the fuse, and nothing on the other side, the fuse has to be broken I think - or the fuse is not seated correctly and making good contact.

With the ignition off, and all the fuses in place, just do a quick continuity/resistance test across the two pins of every fuse, start with the knackered one.

I did that already and there was not current. I'm attaching a picture of something I belive it may be relays aren't they? Under the steering column

Attachments

• IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 21
What I meant is that I didn’t get any readings with the multimeter. I will try using the continuity setting to see what I get.

Yes, it is indeed. I am annoying with myself that all this was self-inflicted though

What I meant is that I didn’t get any readings with the multimeter. I will try using the continuity setting to see what I get.

Yes, it is indeed. I am annoying with myself that all this was self-inflicted though

Ah ok - It does sound like a broken fuse to me that.

Its annoying that it is/may be self inflicted, but at least you end up learning more about how it works - information which will no doubt come in handy later on!

Yes you are right. I wouldn’t like to take it to a mechanic for this only but if I don’t get it solve I can’t register it so I can’t drive it. I emailed japan to see if they let me know where that fuse is located. Thank you very much for your help. I will let you know what the continuity result is

Did you get your car "undersealed", I can highly recommend the under body wax Belt Hamber. Ive been using it for a few years now and gives superb finish. About £90 worth of products should give very good protection.
Fantastic car you've bought and does it have the 24v engine?

Hi br1anuk,

You are correct that is one of my priorities I don’t want to start driving the car if it is not undersealed. It doesn’t have rust whatsoever so I want to keep it that way.

Thank you that it is a great advice for anyone new with a land cruiser. Yes it does

Hi Guys,

Good news!!!

I finally got it sorted it, while doing some more digging about the wire diagrams I found a diagram that show me exactly the fuse that I needed to changed and where it was.

I wanted to thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated.

Thats brilliant - well done fixing it! Please share as much as you can (which fuse, location, maybe diagram?) for people coming to this thread in the future with the same problem!

Back