Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruisers.

So, so sorry - it's weird but losing a dog is probably the hardest of all grief - been there...................
Best wishes

Mate, its hard when we lose a furbaby :( we have lost 2 labs since being here in France - man does it hurt. We took our Cassy down to our lake where she loved to go, she swam (floated) for a bit but I had to get in and lift her out of the water. She didnt have the strength to go up the garden to pee, so we had to do what you have to do. Give her everything she wants and more. all the best Steve

As said really sorry to hear this. We don’t have any pets now as for me there have been too many final journeys.
What’s her name and how old is she?

Well done for posting this. A problem shared is a problem halved.

Something similar with our Staff, Stitch, a couple of years back - rapid tumour blocking his airways/throat - he soldiered on until we had to have him put to sleep and was always a happy little fella right to the end. I slept with him on the floor the last evening we had him. So hard to say goodbye in those circumstances, so I feel your pain, Steve. Make the most of the last couple of weeks, eh.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to read this Steven, it’s a hard time to have to go through, my thoughts are with you. I’ve had a heavy heart and shed many a tear over the years when losing a faithful four legged friend, but the fond memories do live on.

It’s all been said really Steven, but you have it all worked out which should help you prepare for it as best you can (I think).

Us humans are the wierd ones, taking on a dog knowing full-well from the beginning that its a 10-15 yr tops prospect.

Still we find it tough/impossible to come to terms with when it happens.

As said, make every moment count and as comfortable as you can for her, and having her put to sleep at home is the best decision youll ever make.

The vet came to the house for our old lab, and there was no panic and no fuss whatsoever.

The guy was 110% sympathetic with the situation and the business itself, well, I held our dog’s paw and he was looking into my eyes. He simply closed them and went to sleep.

Couldn’t have been better. I was 15 then, we’d had him all my life, he was like a brother to me.

So sad to hear, I feel for you Steven certainly tough on the heart. Having seen both my girlfriends life long dogs pass away the last two years was tough. Worse part was the suffering as they went blind, lost weight but being a wonderful mother she soothed them till the end so gracefully with unconditional love and nurturing. The compassion you have is always felt.

Thank you for sharing.

Sending you loving support & strength Steven.

Thanks StarCruiser,

Her name is Chyna and she's 10.

Her favourite toy is a ‘Boomer Ball’ (have a look on Google for Boomer Ball then this will all become clear)

This is our plan for her, we are going to have her cremated at a pet cemetery, we are not going to just leave her at the vets for disposal, we are having the vet to our house to do the deed, then we are taking her to the pet cemetery, where they will cremate her while we wait.

This is where the Boomer ball comes into play (excuse the pun) I am going to drill a hole in the ball (it’s made of a hard plastic shell) with a hole saw, tip her ashes in the ball then seal the ball with hot glue, then she’ll be with us for the rest of our lives, and we can taker her with us wherever we go, the ironic thing is, she doesn’t like other dogs, so if we get another Staffie she won’t have any choice other than to play.

When it’s my time to go I will leave instruction to open the ball and mix her ashes with mine.

Sorry if this sounds a bit wishie washie, but she has given us so much unconditional fun, love and affection, I think this is the very least we owe her.

Non pet owners might not understand.
So sorry to hear of your loss Steve. As a previous pet owner I understand completely, our last pet/family member had a stroke and lost the use of her rear legs, she couldn't even get to the litter tray to have a pee so we had to do the worst thing you have to do in a case like this.
I buried her in the garden and planted a small tree on her grave so she will always be with us now, the tree is growing nicely now the winter is over.
That was a year ago now and we haven't felt like getting another pet yet, but maybe sometime.

Parents are on dog #4:
Dog #1 was diagnosed with bone cancer in her back leg, we'd been wondering why she wasn't using it as much so took her to the vet and that was the diagnosis. She was put down about 3 days later - Dad was overseas at the time, so it was a case of him getting home and then the dog was put down.
Dog #2 took herself off to the end of the garden, but Mum and Dad thought something wasn't right so she was brought back down to the house where she curled up and just stopped.
Dog #3 was put down late last year at the age of 15 as everything just started to fail on her and it was unfair on her.
Dog #4 is now 9 years old so is no spring chicken for a Golden Retriever, but does seem to be doing OK

Never easy - the first 2 were hard for me, as was #3. Number 4 doesn't like me very much, and I've been away from her most of her life so she's not that fussed by me.

However, we have our own dog now (was only supposed to be a short term thing... never believe that when you're told that by your wife and one of your friends) who is a year old later this month - and it would seem odd not to have her! The days she goes to work with our friend, it's really odd as she gets picked up before dawn so the morning routine is out of whack.

Thanks Ed, so many LCC members from around the world are shearing their pet experiences.
As a newbie to the site I don't know anybody personally. but there are some heart felt messages here... ive been there and feel for you mate. dog.cat any loyal pet. its a toughie...all the best.

Steven sorry to hear about this coming around, I have an 8 year old bulldog called Oliver and a 6 year old French B/D called Nelly, I feel like I’m on borrowed time already with Oliver, just due to the breed generally passing early. I try to make myself deal with emotional consequences of when he leaves me and I have to shut it down as I can’t. He’s the first responsibility I’ve had of my own and without a doubt my best mate.

Spend what time you can with her, it’s a horrible time but if you know you gave her a great life and showed her true love keep that in mind when the moment comes to let go.

That’s what I’m going to try and do when it comes round to us. :(

Thanks for your kind words,

To look at her at the moment, she looks and acts just fine, but as the vet said, as soon as the tumor reaches a certain place in her nose it's going to hurt her, and we will know as she will go off her food and not want to move, that's the time to call, that will take about two weeks, he said.

We were told this last Wednesday, hope he's wrong, but he is the expert.

Hope Oliver stays fit for a while longer.

Steve & Sue.

Thank you Steve and I hope you all manage as well as you can. Sounds like she’s been a well loved dog and that’s all you can do for them.

Be strong pal.

Thanks Bund,

I have been told off on the thread,
'Tyre Pressure' by super man, my only crime was 'having fun' so please consider this thread closed.

But I would just like to thank all contributor for their nice messages.

Sticks and stones Steven, you’re bigger and tougher than that. Just hang in there and deal with important stuff as best you can.

Idiots are for ignoring.

Steve,our sympathy it hurts.We are now a 2 dog family with a big age difference but they are great mates Zoey a hunt away and Vincent a schnauzer.They disappeared today for a couple of hours chasing bunnies
and we were worried as hell until they came home as if nothing was wrong,
But still wouldn’t be without them.

Back