Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser 90 Colorado/Prado crumple zones

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Just received this pic from a friend who has a KZJ95 similar vintage to my VZJ95 ~ 1997. Not bad for a 15 year old car.

P.S. The driver and passengers were unharmed.

Attachments

• IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 854
He clearly hit some thing big?
Back of a truck?
Certainly wasn't a Fiesta.

Gra

Yes, it was the back of a lorry.

Once of the things that I worry about on our older trucks is whether the airbags will go off as designed or whether they will half-heartedly deploy or not at all.

No worries there - apparently both airbags deployed perfectly and the driver and passengers were unharmed - again not bad for a 15 year old car. :cool:

Do you know at what speed he hit the lorry?

But you will still die. To say it dd not crumple is not a good thing. The crumple is a controlled way to slow it down. Come to a dead stop and your organs continue to travel...

Crispin, I think you (completely) misunderstand me :) - when I say "Not bad for a 15 year old car", I mean exactly that; looking at the picture, the engine bay seems to have absorbed most of the impact and has deformed/crumpled much more than I thought it would, without (at least according to the picture) transferring the impact to the passenger cell. Even the windscreen, A pillars etc are all pretty much intact and unharmed. Given that the LCs are mainly ladder chassis old school vehicles - that's not bad.

So according to that crash "test", the 90 seems to have pretty good frontal crumple zones.
:cool:

Not sure of the actual impact speed but that accident occurred on the continent, on a relatively fast "A" road.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I get what you're say Chad. I think it might have been different if it was not a truck though. The impact seems to have been above the chassis rails so it did crumple. I recall when I hit the van with the 120. The chassis rail was the main contact and hit the van pretty square-on. Being soft van doors, it was all easy for the 120 but I did wonder though ow brutal it might be if it hits on the strong point.

I was reading an article / interview a while ago about crash tests and when asked "what is the safest car?" the guy replied "Tell me what type of accident you are going to have and I'll tell you which car to use" :)

Back