Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lead acid battery inside the cabin

Rob

Garage
I would like to relocate my leisure battery from under the bonnet to the boot as the current leisure battery will probably fail the new stricter MOT. It is not a sealed battery, so is it advisable to keep it and charge inside the car? I seem to remember this battery coming with an adaptor where you can fit a small breather pipe to it, if I vented the battery to the outside using this will this solve any potential issues?

You could probably get away with it if the battery was in a sealed battery box that was well fixed down - the key thing is to prevent battery acid spilling in the car in case of a roll over.

Good point Julian, forgot about that. So I should not be worried about vapours when its charging?

Put it in a sealed box and vent under the floor should be fine.

When I used to banger race, a long time ago, we used a motorcycle top box, mounted to the floor, bolt the battery down and grommets wherever the cables entered and all was fine.

yes, lead batteries give off explosive gases, not much usually, not enough to concern yourself with
but
should the regulator pack it in and an over charging occur then yes, the potential is there.
sealed and vented to the outside and you should be golden, not sure what the rules are there so check them out.

one other issue that hasn't been addressed, battery acid eats cloth so ... unless the wife is very forgiving, make sure the case is sealed properly against leakage.

always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back