Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking fuel tank

RobfromYork

Country Flag
uk
Hmm, just been lying under my 80 as you do and realised that I have a diesel leak from the tank somewhere. I've not noticed it before but I did fill it up yesterday. Anything obvious that I can check or is it a new fuel tank?

Thanks

Rob

sure its not coming from the metal pipe that is the filler neck to the tank? replaced mine due to leaking because of rot.

There is a breather pipe that runs alongside the main filler pipe. There is a bend just before the rear axle. They go right on the corner. But they generally only leak when you fill up. The main pipe can go too though.

If the pipes are in good order it may be worth checking the seal around the gauge sender/lift tube on top of the tank (if it only leaks when brimmed).

It means fetching out the middle row LH seat, pulling the carpet back, and removing the cover plate in the floor, which is all easy stuff and would save unnecessary disappointment after wrestling with a tank removal, only to find it could have been sorted from above.

Edit: It was the LH seat on mine, but I should add that mine is LHD so it may be the RH side seat. Sorry, not being very helpful here am I? :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. It's given me a few things to go look at this evening. I'll report back

The filler pipe often rusts where the breather and larger filler pipe are welded together, pictures on the thread in my sig below, one of the first things I repaired on mine. Right hand middle row has to be removed to get to access panel Clive was talking about. There is also a drain plug that could leak on the tank as well.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sure its not coming from the metal pipe that is the filler neck to the tank? replaced mine due to leaking because of rot.

Digging up an old thread here guys but just about 30 mins ago i noticed a leak at the filler pipe near the bend as mentioned. Is it easy to get that pipe out of there?

Digging up an old thread here guys but just about 30 mins ago i noticed a leak at the filler pipe near the bend as mentioned. Is it easy to get that pipe out of there?

It’s all one whole section down to the tank from memory so perhaps best to look for a repair if accessible without removal.

Mine went where the central fixing bracket was welded on so a repair was virtually impossible. I bought a new OEM pipe to replace it. With a body lift being out of the question I decided to cut the new one and join it with rubber fuel hose which made fitting it pretty simple. The short straight bit where the pipes pass over the main chassis rail seemed the optimum place for the join. Gave it a couple of coats of paint beforehand.

Putting a scissor jack on top of the chassis on the right hand rear and a flat piece of wood on top of the jack to spread the load under to boot floor, you can lift the body up a little with the give in the body mount rubbers.

This will allow you to remove and refit the fuel pipe, sometimes its needs a shove with a soft mallet to get over the crossmember when refitting but I've done this on 80's and 100's successfully.

I went for the cut out the rusty bit, and slid fuel hose over the ends, been there circa 8 or 9 years now.

regards

Dave

Back