Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leisure battery fitment in 4.5L petrol 80

Dave Little

Hi,

I have a 1996 4.5L Auto 80 series with A/C, Cruise etc. I would like to fit a 2nd battery inside the engine bay with a split charger to power a small fridge and lights for our trip to Morocco in April.

I have a battery tray from a Diesel 80 and intended on fitting that and the battery behind the headlamp on the O/S. I understand that in doing this I will have to re-locate the washer bottle. I have found that an Australian company (Slee off road) produce a fitting kit for this purpose, but...... where they locate the bottle is where I have a cruise control motor. Has anyone done this modification to a similar vehicle with cruise?

I have taken a couple of pictures of the engine bay to help illustrate;

Landcuiser80.jpg

Landcruiser80RH.jpg

Lancruiser80LH.jpg

Hi Dave and welcome!

Can you get the washer bottle from a diesel 80 and fit that over on the other side near the ABS pump, which is where the diesel layout has the washer bottle?

Another option might be to butcher your existing battery tray a little and squeeze the 2 batteries side by side in the same area. You would need to turn the batteries 90 degrees. It's a fairly common mod on diesels when adding a 3rd battery. Provided the batteries aren't enormous, you can get them to fit ;) This would save you relocating washer bottles and fussing with the cruise control.

Oh, Slee is an American company (owned by a Saffer) BTW :mrgreen: If you bought their parts via Aus you've shipped them just about completely around the world! :cool:

Cheers,

Hi

Have done this mod using all genuine parts from at diesel vehicle , have two very large batteries fitted . Very tight fit and you have to be prepared to extend cables.
I am not good at posting pics , but you are welcome to view at my workshop .

regards
garry

Andrew Prince said:
Hi Dave and welcome!

Can you get the washer bottle from a diesel 80 and fit that over on the other side near the ABS pump, which is where the diesel layout has the washer bottle?

Another option might be to butcher your existing battery tray a little and squeeze the 2 batteries side by side in the same area. You would need to turn the batteries 90 degrees. It's a fairly common mod on diesels when adding a 3rd battery. Provided the batteries aren't enormous, you can get them to fit ;) This would save you relocating washer bottles and fussing with the cruise control.

Oh, Slee is an American company (owned by a Saffer) BTW :mrgreen: If you bought their parts via Aus you've shipped them just about completely around the world! :cool:

Cheers,

Yes, my mistake, Slee is an American company. Either way, I have no need to buy their kit as i have a battery tray and a washer bottle from a diesel, and a son with a workshop to make brackets as required.

I will have a look at locating the washer bottle as a factory diesel would, thanks for that suggestion :thumbup:

Garry said:
Hi

Have done this mod using all genuine parts from at diesel vehicle , have two very large batteries fitted . Very tight fit and you have to be prepared to extend cables.
I am not good at posting pics , but you are welcome to view at my workshop .

regards
garry

Hi Garry,

Shame I 'm not closer to you than I am...

Is your 80 like mine with ABS and Cruise? Did you use the diesel battery tray on the O/S? Which washer bottle did you use and where is it located?

Are you able to send any pictures thro email or phone?

Many thanks for your help.

Dave.

Another option could be to run some heavy duty cables to the back of the car and have the leisure battery located next to the fridge.

Some advantages is that you could easily install / removed the battery when required but if you needed to, you could also remove a fridge from the vehicle with its own portable power supply with ease.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

You can call me 07785 332767

Garry

where are you based ?

Back