Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lift & support locations

Hans

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys

My question refers to lifting of the truck by garages with their 4 to 5 ton lifting equipment and not the use of the jack to change a flat tyre.

The T manual refers to lift and support locations but doesn't mention the locations in the pictures below. Would it be safe to lift the truck using those points or would this be a definite no no? I'm asking 'cause a local garage was about to lift my truck using those points and I showed him (using Mr T's manual) where it should be lifted. I'm wondering if I was being over cautious here and it would be perfectly fine to use those points? If not what would happen if the truck was lifted that way?

34c581e1-5e4c-4390-bb4a-bbb036c5d209_zpsfa21f0bc.jpg

4c0642e3-7e39-4b8e-9b06-c9e6684a63a2_zps92f92ccb.jpg

Thanks

Wouldn't have thought that smart - those bushes would be under massive strain then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regardless of anything else its just plain stupid to jack against a moving part , i'd say you were right to stop him he was just being lazy , even if he couldn't find the jack points he could swap a wheel by just jacking on the axle but that would mean him bending down a few more inches to see what hes doing !

Thanks guys for your replies. I didn't think it would have been too clever to lift the truck resting on those. Just wanted to find out if it would have done any damage. It's amazing how many garages haven't got a clue how the lift these trucks.

if they were just changing a wheel ... far safer to just put a trolley jack under the axle and lift one wheel off the ground rather than the whole truck.

never ever lift it on the bushes .... the garage clearly don't have a clue what they're doing

Just so I understand the point of this thread, the question is, would it be safe to lift a Landcruiser with a two post ramp (with 4 legs) on the ends of the locating arms which are attached to the chassis without any damage being done to the vehicle? As said in the first post this is nothing to do with changing a wheel with a trolley jack. This because as I see it, I can't see how there is any more strain on the bushes in that situation than when it is stood on its wheels, and would like someone more in the know to explain it to me why?

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That bush is a guide and little more , it and the surrounding metal is not designed to carry 2 tonne in weight , if it was sufficient then it would also be safe to drive around with 1 nut holding each wheel on . Aside from that when you lift the truck the arm will drop potentially displacing the jack so everything comes crashing down with a bang . The correct jack points are unlikely to be any stronger than the rest of the chassis but they are shown because they give the best weight distribution so when lifted on those points all parts of the truck are balanced equally preventing any one part being subject to stresses it is not designed for .

I can't say much about the ramp lift because i've never operated one myself but all such machinery comes with its own specifications . My mate has a 2 post lift but when i took my 90 (which is a much smaller vehicle) down to see if he would let me use the lift to put some Dinitrol on he said sorry you need a four poster for this .

Lets say you lift it on the trailing arm bush , in reality it will probably hold . But sometime later you will notice uneven wear on on your tyre , so you get wheels balanced , but not long after you need a new wheel bearing , then you notice your tyres not wearing evenly again . 10 years later you will still be messing about in that corner of the truck trying to fix unexplainable problems because the trailing arm bracket twisted very slightly under the stress when you lifted on it putting everything else just slightly out of synch . This is a bit of an exaggeration maybe but why chance it when there are better options available ?

Last edited:
I think I get the gist of it now thanks. Its just that I assumed that a " 4 to 5 tonne jack" would have been a 2 post ramp and not a single lift trolley jack. I suppose you can get garage equipment of all specs, my mechanics home garage 2 post lift can easily take any Cruiser, my Tahoe any of his chevy blazers and we have even had the Suburban on it without any drama so I suppose its just down to the equipment specs.
Thanks for the info.

Andy

Back