Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Light bar installation info needed.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys thus is just a short post.
Just installed a small light bar and want it to just work off my hi beam.
I have put the earth wire to the body and live wire to fuse 26 27 hi lo left and right obviously not together.
I did think that would work and if it did was going to fit an inline fuse to protect my fusebox but no luck.
Not sure we're I need to go next as my plan B was to connect directly to my headlight harness but I have led harness so seems to much effect .
Any ideas were I need to go next.
I'm no electrician but wing it most times with the help of you guys on here and YouTube.

Attachments

• 20230826_165233.jpg
    20230826_165233.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 25
I have no idea what fuse 26 27 is on your vehicle, but just to check, are you using a relay, or are you trying to connect the the light bar positive directly to the fuse cable? Is fuse 26 27 the fuse in the switch side of the vehicle relay or the light?

I'm no electrician either btw. But just a starter for 10.

N

I have no idea what fuse 26 27 is on your vehicle, but just to check, are you using a relay, or are you trying to connect the the light bar positive directly to the fuse cable? Is fuse 26 27 the fuse in the switch side of the vehicle relay or the light?

I'm no electrician either btw. But just a starter for 10.

N
Fuse 26 27 are hi beam left and right..
Just want to connect directly to the main beam.
I'm thinking I need to connect to the hi beam loom.
I went for the fuse and earth from the body as my drl lights work of my fuse box perfectly.

If I need a relay then will get one but it's not a big light bar and thought an inline fuse would be suitable for what I'm doing.

Really you should go via a relay, and also have the power to the relay switched also so that high beam can be on without the light bar. If not then you will most probably fail your next mot as your high beam pattern will be incorrect.

I'm a big fan of relays too, but given the size of lightbar and being led, I would have thought the power draw would be very small ?
Tony, does the light bar actually work even though it's new ?
Try connecting both wires pos and neg direct to battery to make sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good advice from TM to check the lightbar direct from a battery if you havent already.

Those fuses are on the load side of the headlamp relay.

Remember that the lights on these are NEGATIVE switched, meaning that the +ve from the relay/fuse box always has voltage (as long as the BCM has energised the relay) and the stalk/switch makes or breaks the ground connection to complete the circuit and switch the light on or off.

The light bar works directly from the battery and its that small as in 10inch
It only has two wires on it black and brown.
I have a 12v tester in the house so I test everything electrical before I install.
This lightbar was ment as a reverse light but it don't fit we're I wanted it to.
I have watched many clips on YouTube and the relay is the answer.
I have ordered one and arriving today from amazon.
I will install a switch also might go bigger on the light bar since I have to go that extra mile to install.
The light bar is extremely thin so fits nicely into the slots on the front bumper as shown in the clip above.
Big thank you to everyone for there advice and input and hopefully my install will be up and running soon and another clip on my experience belt thanks to you guys and YouTube. :text-thankyoublue::flags-wavegreatbri:

This was my latest install as got rid if my boring folights and replaced with yellow fogfoglights run directly from my oem foglight harness.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_074751_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_074751_Photos.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230827_074741_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_074741_Photos.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 17
Back