Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

I wouldn't worry about it bikers are virtually sat on the petrol tank . I do wonder though Ben if with your skills you could have equaled the volume of fuel you will carry in both tanks using less space by cutting some deck out and replacing the existing tank with a much bigger custom made one .

I dont really know if i should call you brave or stupid for putting a tank IN the cabin really. I understand you want more capacity and places to put it is sparse in a lj70 which is quite small..

BUT! What if you are in a crash and the tank starts to leak over you? I would certainly not want to become coated in diesel..

As Beau rightly said diesel isnt explosive or any where near as flammable as petrol. :icon-smile:

In the showroom of the 4x4 place who sold me the steel and let me use there machines they have one of their tanks that was dropped from something silly like 10 meters!
Its obviously very bent and distorted but its still water/fuel tight! So built correctly it shouldn't rupture easily in a crash. :icon-wink:

The other thing worth remembering is that I'm hoping within the next few years to be running on filtered waste veg oil, so the tank behind me will be full of WVO which is even less flammable than diesel! :thumbup:

I wouldn't worry about it bikers are virtually sat on the petrol tank . I do wonder though Ben if with your skills you could have equaled the volume of fuel you will carry in both tanks using less space by cutting some deck out and replacing the existing tank with a much bigger custom made one .

I did consider it but the only way to make the main tank bigger would have been to have it hang down lower which I didn't really want as I dont want to loose ground clearance. :think:

Cutting some of the deck out would have been an option, but I want this tank to drop straight into the new body when I fit it in a few years time and with the new body I certainly dont want to cut it up or mess with it too much.

Because LJ has been such a big part of my life for so many years now and due to the fact I've invested so much time and money and shipped it to the other side of the world, my plan would be to keep it forever.

Now the chassis is solid and mechanically its really good, but the body has obviously been knocked around over the years and wont last forever. So my plan is to buy a rust free swb 70 that I can remove the body from to fit to my chassis.

Lately I've found myself not wanting to drive the hardest tracks I can find in LJ and risk doing too much damage. LJ will always be a toy but I've changed direction slightly now and I want it to be more of a touring vehicle which I can go off to places like the High Country in for a few days or a week. :think:

I want to build an all out rock crawler/comp truck for the hard tracks and treat LJ with a bit more respect. I want a Jimny chassis and body and then I will fit a bigger engine, 60 series axles, hydro steering, possibly 4 wheel steer, insane amounts of wheel travel, Gigglepin winch, 37"/40" tyres. :icon-twisted:

I want to build an all out rock crawler/comp truck for the hard tracks and treat LJ with a bit more respect. I want a Jimny chassis and body and then I will fit a bigger engine, 60 series axles, hydro steering, possibly 4 wheel steer, insane amounts of wheel travel, Gigglepin winch, 37"/40" tyres. :icon-twisted:

Sounds like a full weekend that, Ben :lol:

:lol:

Need to go off and earn some big dollars welding pipe lines first! :icon-cool:

Hi Ben we'll I've done it now lol arb air lockers + compressor should be here Friday so we'll see how she performs once there in lol can't wait I can't believe how much time uve spent on urs.

Awesome!!! I bet you're excited! :dance:

Have you gone for genuine ARB's or the copies? :think:

You getting them professionally fitted with all new seals and bearings?

After all the dramas I've had that would be my recommendation. Also check the ring gear really closely before fitting the new locker to check for any cracks! I've found a few ring gears with hair line cracks when pulling 70 diffs apart. :icon-smile:

Thanks mate, yeah a lot of time! :shifty:

Its getting there now though! :sleeping-sleep:

The fuel tank is going well and will hopefully be close to being finished this week. :pray:

Then I just need to knock the stainless steel water tank up.

After this project the only things I really want to look at are rear disc brake conversion, 3 linking the rear suspension and possibly 4 linking the front. :think:

Then shes finished! :eusa-liar: :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yea I can't wait and yeah I've already got both the diffs out changed everything in front and rear axles now to new
both front cv joints where cracked in two places and one of them the inner part moved in and out so glad I changed them when I did lol
so yeah lockers should get fitted by a mate hu used to race 4x4 in competition handy lad to know. Lol

yeah u I have done well mate if I was u is be over the moon!

i once thought of altering the way it flex's but I had second thoughts as I like running 12.50 tyres and with the flex I assumed ud have to run thinner tyre as mine catch on trailing arms now with 30mm wheel spacers

I can't wait to see how u tanks turn out be look forward to the pics :clap:

Yes gone for genuine arbs Aswell did think bout hf but didn't fancy it as I can't find much if any feedback on them

Hi Ben ... Loving all your posts .... problem for you ...
The Baron is cutting out at low revs either just after starting or slowing down at lights, happens more when cold but has done it hot too. No power loss, misfiring or other weird stuff, just when you take your foot off the gas, it dies.. any ideas pal ? :think: Kind regards Rob

Biggest lie you can tell yourself Ben is that your landcruiser is finished! :laughing-rolling:

There will always be something to do to it! :icon-twisted:

Sorry guys I havent been online for days. :thumbdown:

Life seems to be pretty hectic at the moment and sadly LJ is having to take a bit of a back seat which means the fuel tank isnt quite finished. :oops:

With the big TIG test now just over a month away, all my spare time is being spent in the garage welding bits of pipe together!

Pretty boring but its got to be done! :shifty:

Yea I can't wait and yeah I've already got both the diffs out changed everything in front and rear axles now to new
both front cv joints where cracked in two places and one of them the inner part moved in and out so glad I changed them when I did lol
so yeah lockers should get fitted by a mate hu used to race 4x4 in competition handy lad to know. Lol

yeah u I have done well mate if I was u is be over the moon!

i once thought of altering the way it flex's but I had second thoughts as I like running 12.50 tyres and with the flex I assumed ud have to run thinner tyre as mine catch on trailing arms now with 30mm wheel spacers

I can't wait to see how u tanks turn out be look forward to the pics :clap:

Yes gone for genuine arbs Aswell did think bout hf but didn't fancy it as I can't find much if any feedback on them

Sounds good mate. :thumbup:

Hi Ben ... Loving all your posts .... problem for you ...
The Baron is cutting out at low revs either just after starting or slowing down at lights, happens more when cold but has done it hot too. No power loss, misfiring or other weird stuff, just when you take your foot off the gas, it dies.. any ideas pal ? :eusa-think: Kind regards Rob

Thanks Rob, good to hear from you. :icon-biggrin:

Thats a tricky one mate as obviously its doing it whether the engine is warm or not.

Have you checked to see if the ECU is throwing up any error codes? :think:

Biggest lie you can tell yourself Ben is that your landcruiser is finished! :laughing-rolling:

There will always be something to do to it! :icon-twisted:

:lol:

Well I'm hoping the build as such will be finished, obviously there will always be maintenance to do. :icon-cool:

And don't forget the "safety" improvements, they're essential, such as a new stereo.... the buttons and controls on the newer one are much safer to operate!

All my truck's improvements have been for safety reasons! :lol:

I think my wife drives my 4Runner (it's in my name...) more than I do, so any improvements are just about all for her benefit...

And there lies the answer , mine was referred to as "that THING" until she was forced to drive it one day . I can't get her out of it now and if i say something like i feel hard of spending that when a cheap secondhand one will do its met with a look that makes my blood run cold :lol:

You can laugh mate, just wait till you're married! :laughing-rolling: :icon-rolleyes:
My wife thinks I'm mad, she says "How can you ENJOY driving through mud?"
I say "I don't, it clogs the radiator"
she says "Well there you are then"
I don't know, women's logic! :icon-rolleyes:

My wife bought me my cruiser, she wants to go on more camping trips in remote areas. Marriage isn't all bad!

:lol: :thumbup:

Really need to get an update up, but time is the tightest its ever been for me at the moment. :oops: :doh:

Will try and get some pics up this week. :pray:

Be nice to get another update up before the thread creeps over a million views! :think:

Back