Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Aux Fuel Tank, Excavator Bucket, AirBoat & Tool Box.

OK guys update time.................................

I spent the whole of last weekend practicing my welding.

DSCN0521_zpsxzswcik5.jpg

Sunday evening I decided to do a bit more on the fuel tank project.

Welded the fuel sender unit boss next.

DSCN0522_zpsbtacearu.jpg

DSCN0523_zpsmymkjbsr.jpg

DSCN0524_zpsvy4no6cd.jpg

DSCN0525_zpspechsjus.jpg

DSCN0526_zpsp6jhf1xv.jpg

DSCN0527_zpsifrhwvtk.jpg

Welded the 2 main sections of tank together.

DSCN0528_zpssavfinf5.jpg

DSCN0529_zpsbgcbrls7.jpg

DSCN0534_zpsssd3i7zj.jpg

DSCN0535_zpsxugt1yeq.jpg

That was as much as I got done on the fuel tank last weekend.

At work this week I had an unusual project.

My boss had bought the perfect sized bucket he needed for his 5 ton excavator. Only issue was it wouldn't fit, so my job was to make it fit.

I got him to bring a bucket that does fit in, so I could copy the mounting system.

DSCN0536_zpshjcz9wnj.jpg

DSCN0537_zpsh46svnrf.jpg

My first job was to cut off the mounts on the new bucket.

DSCN0538_zpsjwnggq0m.jpg

DSCN0539_zpst5oidc3i.jpg

The oxy torch worked well for this.

DSCN0541_zps6rf3xanr.jpg

DSCN0542_zpsx6lfgli7.jpg

New mounts.

DSCN0543_zpsktxrppq9.jpg

DSCN0544_zpsq82gscj3.jpg

DSCN0545_zpsp8pvcl1y.jpg

I gave the template to a local steel company that we use. They specialize in cutting sheet steel and have got sheets of steel up to 400mm thick x 12ft square! :icon-surprised:

Its where I got my bench top from.

Anyway......................

They cut me 2 pieces out of 20mm plate.

DSCN0550_zpsb4b1uikd.jpg

DSCN0551_zpsy7p1amg6.jpg

DSCN0552_zpsxoj6nsqk.jpg

DSCN0553_zpsjmnsflnr.jpg

Cleaned up the bucket ready for welding.
DSCN0554_zpsehyvtwgh.jpg

DSCN0555_zpsliabu4vx.jpg

I cut some 90mm squares of 12mm plate and hole-sawed a 40mm hole in the center of each.

DSCN0557_zpssxx4b4qe.jpg

Beveled the edges to ensure good weld root penetration.

DSCN0559_zpshce8eq4t.jpg

Welded the squares on.

DSCN0560_zpsrc6xlcyw.jpg

DSCN0561_zpsmd06smd4.jpg

DSCN0562_zpswez4zuuu.jpg

The 40mm round bar I had picked up turned out to be 43mm. :doh:

I cut the 2 pins and spun the ends down in the lathe to 40mm to fit the 90mm squares and 20mm side plates.

DSCN0558_zpsjo6zyq8w.jpg

I ground the edges of the 20mm thick plates to again ensure good root penetration on the welds.

DSCN0563_zpstkxo4jj5.jpg

DSCN0564_zpsxzk2cj8j.jpg

Tacked the pins in position.

DSCN0565_zpsd1mys8fo.jpg

DSCN0566_zpsj6bz8x9q.jpg

DSCN0567_zps5y6m4xs3.jpg

I then hung the bucket on the vice and fully welded it.

DSCN0568_zpsglpgueqz.jpg

DSCN0569_zpsc0kga5ni.jpg

He has a quick hitch on his machine, so no need to remove the pins to fit the bucket. I welded the pins in position with 3 small welds so that if the pins do ever wear and need replacing it shouldn't be too hard to cut them out.

DSCN0570_zpskjhyqb2z.jpg

All done.

DSCN0571_zpspbzi5fpp.jpg

A quick coat of paint.

DSCN0572_zpsbklcpl24.jpg

DSCN0573_zpsn2qyanik.jpg

I brought my TIG in to do some more on the air-boat project.

DSCN0546_zps1wapwy9o.jpg

DSCN0547_zpsnmntnfep.jpg

I welded the huge piece of tube onto the front.

DSCN0574_zpsxuy1xfug.jpg

DSCN0575_zpsxz3x9jrb.jpg

I then fully welded all the external seems/butt joints.

DSCN0576_zpscsr4higk.jpg

DSCN0577_zps76ishc9o.jpg

The back of the boat cracked when we folded the 5mm thick sheet of alluminium.

DSCN0578_zpsmaai002w.jpg

I chose to cut out the crack before fully TIG welding it.

For this I picked up a special blade for the angle grinder which is basically a small circular saw blade.

DSCN0579_zpsaclnaeea.jpg

DSCN0580_zps4jsxpgzy.jpg

Normal cutting and grinding discs quickly clog up when cutting or grinding alluminium, but this little blade was awesome!

I was expecting a lot of kick back but there was virtually non and it cut so quickly and smoothly. It also worked amazingly well for grinding down the alluminium in places where I had got far too much penetration. :clap:

Cut out ready for welding.

DSCN0581_zps1p2bcvp0.jpg

DSCN0582_zpsuwhjpptb.jpg

TIG'd.

I also welded the tube on on the back of the boat, meaning all of the welding was now done and the hull should be water tight.

DSCN0583_zpswpcxf566.jpg

DSCN0584_zpsqtngwqwq.jpg

I decided to lift the boat up into the air so I could weld the front tube to the hull in a more comfortable position.

DSCN0595_zpseluqhbmp.jpg

DSCN0596_zpste6d6qdh.jpg

DSCN0597_zpsym8v8ht0.jpg

DSCN0598_zpswkrjines.jpg

I could then put the boat back the right way up on its pallet.

boat%20600%20x%20447_zpsdxy2gtao.jpg

The next job is to start adding the ribs inside the boat which should stiffen it up a lot.

I spent half an hour on the lathe turning a piece of the 43mm bar down.

Not quite up to Chris's standard of lathe wizardry but I was pleased with the end result.

DSCN0585_zpsx5qhaldv.jpg

DSCN0586_zpsvlk9kyay.jpg

Can you guess what it is yet?

DSCN0588_zps3wuc1w1b.jpg

Cut it to length on the brobo saw.

DSCN0590_zpslkwor7o6.jpg

DSCN0591_zpsvacr2nnb.jpg

My boss gave me a load of rusty old clamps that were covered in concrete which he got in a job lot of tools from an auction.

I cleaned all the rust and concrete off easily with the wire wheel on the big 3 phase bench grinder.

But one of the Record clamps was missing a piece and that was what I turned up on the lathe.

DSCN0592_zpssrfpo7uw.jpg

Good as new!

DSCN0593_zpsiefjdjrs.jpg

DSCN0594_zpsdr9lfqac.jpg

I've wanted to bring my big tool box home from work for a while now. I've got a nice little workshop setup in my garage but I was always finding that I needed tools that were at work or that I was using shitty old screwdrivers and pliers when I had really good ones at work.
I also found that I didn't use half of the tools in my box at work and didn't need anywhere near as much tool storage at work, yet I did at home.

So I've brought my big tool box home and I will take a smaller one into work with a selection of the tools I use the most.

I also picked up a metal cabinet to lock all my power tools in. :icon-biggrin:

DSCN0599_zps0pnccjrl.jpg

DSCN0600_zpsnabaic6s.jpg

DSCN0601_zpsxm6aezvv.jpg

DSCN0602_zpst0lb0yd4.jpg

I machined up loads of pieces of pipe on the oxy pipe beveler at TAFE the other night so I can keep practicing all weekend.

DSCN0603_zpswknbncsd.jpg

DSCN0604_zpslvrkkpbr.jpg

And finally back to the fuel tank.

I attempted to do some more welding on it this afternoon.

DSCN0605_zpsmnnuv3gj.jpg

DSCN0606_zpsugpcdjpn.jpg

It really is horrible stuff to weld. :thumbdown:

Even after trying to grind the layer of alluminium off and wiping it all clean with thinners it still doesn't weld nice. :doh:

DSCN0607_zpss7pvfidm.jpg

It has also warped and twisted in places from the heat of welding it. In hindsight normal steel would have been better and then I could have just got it electroplated. :think:

But then I got thinking........................

I'm using 2mm thick alluminiumised steel that Brown Davies use for all of their tanks that go underneath vehicles and cop a lot of abuse off road.

Where as with my tank being inside and reasonably well protected I should have just used alluminium.

It would be a hell of a lot lighter, easy to machine, cut and drill and would weld beautifully. :think:

So I'm thinking of scraping what I've done so far and starting again in 3mm alluminium. :shifty:

If a job is worth doing its worth doing right, even if that sometimes means admitting you've made a mistake and costing yourself more time and money. :thumbup:

Welding is looking good there Ben. I picked up a couple of 4x4 action dvds and am watching one with I assume is your boss in a 70 pick up and a chap called Neil in a patrol. They are in the vic high country looks nice there.lucky git
Stu

Thanks Stu. :thumbup:

I watched that one a couple of months ago. Theres some good river crossings and nice steep hill climbs in it. :icon-twisted:

My boss is an absoloute natural in front of the camera. :clap:

Neil doesn't work for us anymore but he still comes in from time to time. Theres another one with my boss, my manager in his lamerover 110 and Roothy who gets his 40 series stuck in a river, again in the High Country.

When it all kicked off with express media group buying Tigerz11 and all the major sponsors/advertisers pulling out they stopped working with 4WD Action and have been with 4WD TV ever since. :icon-ugeek:

Nothing wrong with the lathe work there Ben. Getting a good surface finish can be tricky at times and is usually a combination of tool and spindle speed. But some steel that is general stuff you find lying about just will not machine without effectively ripping. If you machine a nice piece of stainless for example or brass you'll see the difference. But that looks pretty good and great to bring a tool back into service like that.

I have to say I am with you on the tank. You may never get that fully sealed you know. With porosity in the weld, it might weep in places. Shame. The boat looks bloody fantastic!

Thanks Chris. :thumbup:

Would love to get a sheet of alluminium and make a start on re-making the fuel tank, but it will have to wait till after my welding exam now which is less than 4 weeks away. :thumbdown:

Garage envy.

Welding is looking really good. Shame to scrap the tank but how nice will a ally tank look :icon-cool: might come in usefull for something at home.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Gary. :thumbup:

Picked up a new tool box for work today. :dance:

I was hoping to get something cheaper but the quality of the cheap ones was terrible so I got a decent one.

DSCN0611_zpsrcmtf1y8.jpg

DSCN0612_zps8pkwwwgf.jpg

DSCN0613_zpsobii1zfr.jpg

Sad I know..........................

But I couldn't resist customising it with some 4WD stickers. :oops:

DSCN0616_zpspzsncooq.jpg

DSCN0617_zpstvqdkh2w.jpg

Got it all loaded up with tools ready for work tomorrow.

DSCN0623_zpsg1fqnh1b.jpg

Would love to have my big toolbox at home, one at home has the stickers on and the one at work doesn't have any, has decals as part of the design tho.

Much as i respect your u-turn on the tank it seems an awful waste of blood sweat and tears to give up on it . It would be a bitter pill to swallow i'm sure , perhaps even harder than starting again , but there's bound to be someone out there who does nothing but weld this stuff day in and day out . Your a great welder but this is a new material and circumstance is forcing to practice on the finished product . Might it be an idea to let your pride take a beating and call in assistance , it would likely save you a lot of time and money and no doubt you will pick up lots of hints and tips from your assistant which will be a more valuable lesson than starting again can teach you .

Try cleaning the area around the weld with a stainless steel wire brush. I found that helped alot when welding Ali.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

They just MIG it when they make the tanks they sell, but the boss there was telling me that they have welders who have been welding for years who are desperate to get in the tank welding bays and he says non of them can weld the tanks without having leaks to start with. He said it takes a lot of practice to MIG it and not get any leaks.

I knew leaks wouldn't be an issue with TIG as you get 100% fusion as you're melting the 2 pieces of metal together, as opposed to MIG where you're effectively firing molten metal out the end of the torch. :think:

I dont like giving up on projects but its not just the fact its not welding nice its also the weight factor. Its bloody heavy, something I didnt think about too much when I was planning it. :oops:

I just know I can make a beautiful one out of alluminium and it will be a hell of a lot lighter!

So for the sake of about £40 worth of now scrap steel and a day of my time I will cut my losses and make one in alluminium.

I'm also thinking I will design it slightly differently to avoid the long fillet weld (internal corner weld) along the top. The butt welds on the external corners of a box are super quick and easy to weld and you could do it without adding any filler rod as you can just melt the 2 pieces together. I will add filler rod though to add some reinforcement and strength. :icon-biggrin:

With just 3 weekends left before the big test though its going to have to wait, I cant afford to have any distractions!

Just off out to the garage now (almost 7am) to get a quick capping run in on one of the practice pipe joints. :thumbup:

That metal cutting blade looks nice. Have you ever plasma cut alloy? It cuts like a hot knife through butter and leaves a very clean edge too. It doesn't throw metal all over the workshop either!

I got the head rests, seat belts, steering wheel installed and re wired up the thermo fan in my FJ the other day. An order of 5 BF Goodrich tyres arrived last week also! Fun times aren't too far away now...

All the best with your welding test, you'll be fine.

Cheers, Ash.

Tank job

Ben,don't scrap your tank because as sure as hell you'll find a use for the steel in the future.Pat

That metal cutting blade looks nice. Have you ever plasma cut alloy? It cuts like a hot knife through butter and leaves a very clean edge too. It doesn't throw metal all over the workshop either!

I got the head rests, seat belts, steering wheel installed and re wired up the thermo fan in my FJ the other day. An order of 5 BF Goodrich tyres arrived last week also! Fun times aren't too far away now...

All the best with your welding test, you'll be fine.

Cheers, Ash.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Yeah the blade is awesome! I must get one for my grinder at home! :clap:

No not tried plasma cutting it yet but I will now! :icon-cool:

Sounds good, make sure you get some pics. :icon-biggrin:

Ben,don't scrap your tank because as sure as hell you'll find a use for the steel in the future.Pat

Thanks Pat, will keep it for a bit but sooner or later I'm going to be moving interstate and at that point I might have to get rid of a load of stuff. With a 20+ hour drive up to Byron I need to be mindful of how much stuff I keep and how much stuff I acquire before then. :think:

I really want a big floor standing pillar drill for my workshop and a decent MIG. But I should probably wait till I've moved. :icon-cool:

Plasma cut nice on thinish aluminiun but anything over 2-3mm is ok. I always leave a few mm to allow some cleaning up after. I tend to use a jig saw after that thinckness and cutting paste.

:thumbup:

I took the new toolbox to work and it now lives on the bench.

DSCN0624_zps6shm6maw.jpg

DSCN0625_zpsnwm4m0io.jpg

DSCN0626_zpshouwez2f.jpg

Got it labelled.

DSCN0687_zpswwcwuubn.jpg

I did some more work on the air boat.

DSCN0627_zpsft5oqne0.jpg

Finished welding the big tube to the front.

DSCN0628_zpsgywzjcki.jpg

Picked up a chunk of alluminium measuring 65mm x 40mm.

DSCN0629_zps847y3ax0.jpg

Marked where to cut it into the front tube.

DSCN0630_zpsunro06r3.jpg

DSCN0631_zpssrfycxxh.jpg

Cut it out (could have used the plasma but Ash and Stu hadnt mentioned it at that point).

DSCN0632_zpsqmardzvh.jpg

DSCN0633_zpsrlr1wvqk.jpg

Cleaned it up with the finger linisher.

DSCN0634_zpslo6ewjj8.jpg

DSCN0635_zpsfv1162sp.jpg

DSCN0636_zpsqom48t4v.jpg

DSCN0637_zps41bjmpko.jpg

Cut it to length and drilled a 22mm hole through it.

DSCN0638_zpsk5wlwv04.jpg

DSCN0639_zpskfnxctnt.jpg

Welded in position.

DSCN0640_zpsinfrrxte.jpg

Its mainly just for winching the boat onto the trailer and not for winching the boat out of the river.

DSCN0641_zpsfsyw7wum.jpg

DSCN0642_zpsmwd0zkeb.jpg

I had a standard Suzuki Sierra in for a load of work.

I fitted new wheels with slightly bigger tyres, flares to cover the tyres and one of our winch bumpers.

DSCN0644_zpswzulvifg.jpg

DSCN0645_zpsmxfohbgi.jpg

DSCN0646_zpsriionbsv.jpg

DSCN0647_zpskmkwsmz2.jpg

I removed the transfercase so it can have lower low range gears fitted.

DSCN0648_zpsn0n0ajop.jpg

I also pulled the rear axle off so it can have an ARB air locker fitted and have the axle shaved.

DSCN0649_zpsrlqnunz6.jpg

Cleaned the axle and stripped it down.

DSCN0653_zpsb0euhqen.jpg

Cut the axle.

DSCN0655_zpswdfdpkjr.jpg

Cut a piece of 6mm flat to fill it in with.

DSCN0656_zpstjzg0jwh.jpg

TIG'd it on with my bosses little lift arc TIG.

DSCN0657_zpsett1agkq.jpg

DSCN0658_zpsyvnsjpaq.jpg

I needed to add a drain plug next.

DSCN0659_zpspwyefvzl.jpg

Cut the drain plug boss roughly out and cleaned it up in the lathe, then drilled a hole for it.

DSCN0660_zpsytwow9m7.jpg

DSCN0661_zpsi3ct82wu.jpg

Clamped and then TIG'd it.

DSCN0662_zpsdl4nzlcq.jpg

DSCN0663_zpsvldjx61k.jpg

Left it for a few hours with diesel in it to check for leaks. There wernt any which is what I would expect with TIG.

DSCN0664_zpsekdslayf.jpg

DSCN0665_zpshlzeseyz.jpg

I wanted to get it shot blast before powdercoating but the boss didn't.

Got it powdercoated.

DSCN0670_zpslyfdairk.jpg

Shit job because it needed shot blasting!

DSCN0671_zpsgkbx6svt.jpg

DSCN0672_zpshaceheff.jpg

Re-fitted the diff which now had an ARB locker in the center.

DSCN0673_zpsxzihvssr.jpg

My boss bought an old tip truck for his farm to use with his digger.

DSCN0652_zpsqalekpej.jpg

DSCN0651_zpsed74o8td.jpg

DSCN0688_zpshqxwhqck.jpg

DSCN0689_zps0swixi3o.jpg

DSCN0690_zpsdmxs4hbq.jpg

My first job on it is to fit a big old Warn winch.

DSCN0691_zpsrtwsmzfu.jpg

DSCN0693_zpsff0ptpib.jpg

Removed the standard bumper.

DSCN0694_zpsetlhneqy.jpg

The only real bit of rust on this 30 year old Toyota is in the front cross member which I'm thinking I will cut off anyway.

DSCN0695_zpspnd6frir.jpg

DSCN0696_zpshoxk8kic.jpg

DSCN0697_zps0hmdfd5d.jpg

I started designing how best to mount the winch and had intended to make a nice solid winch tray using a sheet of 8mm plate that I wanted to get bent up.

DSCN0699_zpsxezhv98h.jpg

DSCN0700_zpsl7mpdaga.jpg

Frustratingly I've been told not to do it like that. :doh:

So I really dont know how it will turn out, it certainly wont look good or be strong. But oh well..................not my truck! :icon-rolleyes:

Anyway.........................................

I've now got 3 days off work as Monday is a public holiday as its the Queens birthday! :occasion-birthdaym: :dance:

Sadly I wont be getting away on an epic 4wd trip as I've got welding to practice! :|

But........................

only 5 weeks left at work now then I've got a month off for my Europe trip!! :icon-cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Pat. :thumbup:

I'm itching to get the alluminium bought and folded for the fuel tank so I can re-make it. But I'm still concentrating on practice welding pieces of pipe at the moment. :icon-smile:

Currently getting through an entire bottle of argon every weekend. :crazy:

With the big test now less than 3 weeks away I'm out welding every morning and evening trying to cram as much practice in as I can. Feeling reasonably confident about the test and very much looking forward to getting it done and finally having my life back! :thumbup:

Hi Ben I remembered u saying something along lines of lower gearing dual transfer box I found this for you maybe some good?? eBay 121661828628

Back