Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Like the new intro Ben (I'm guessing it's new, not noticed it before) and glad you've finally got yourself clear for some routine work. :thumbup:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Thought I should probably give this thread a proper intro since its morphed into a life blog rather than just a build thread and is now averaging over one hundred and fifty thousand views a month! :icon-biggrin:

Cant wait to finally start the new job next week! It feels great that after 4 months of uncertainty I've finally got myself a decent, secure job. :dance:

About 900 - 1000km, usually closer to 1000km, with the standard tank. This is for my normal driving including commuting.

Thats pretty good. :thumbup:

Lexi, Motorbike Riding, The Garden, Work & The Trailer Project.

Lexi.

Lexi continued to dig holes all over the garden.

IMG_9482_zpsj0fbnemy.jpg

IMG_9483_zpskuycwbh2.jpg

Until Monday when she went to the vets and got de-sexed which consisted of a full hysterectomy.

When she came out she was sporting a lamp shade to stop her from licking her wound.

IMG_9499_zpsuxf9gi9r.jpg

IMG_9496_zpslh3vvzge.jpg

IMG_9500_zpsygyhke4n.jpg

Quite a neat little wound. The incision was only 2 inches long!

IMG_9501_zpsjrqitisa.jpg

IMG_9502_zpsq3mhe9ih.jpg

She was feeling quite sorry for herself when she got back from the vets.

IMG_9503_zpsia7ssvof.jpg

IMG_9505_zps5izezclj.jpg

But she was hungry.

IMG_9507_zpsqijm4j6c.jpg

And was soon wanting to play again.

IMG_9508_zpsmaqlpa6i.jpg

IMG_9510_zpss63iotqr.jpg

By Thursday we decided to take the cone of shame off, which Lexi was delighted about!

IMG_9633_zpsou6mgiqw.jpg

IMG_9637_zps3ci7dxrj.jpg

IMG_9640_zpsnd0jloaz.jpg

IMG_9646_zpsx0zywgab.jpg

IMG_9648_zpshthvnkcf.jpg

They also tattooed inside her ear to mark that she had been de-sexed.

IMG_9652_zpszvaeyftp.jpg

Yamaha WR450F.

I got back out on the bike for a day exploring the local tracks.

IMG_9583_zpsjqpeodcj.jpg

Again beautiful views from the ridge track.

IMG_9579_zpsbxusfqsj.jpg

IMG_9580_zpsugd24ppy.jpg

IMG_9581_zpssl3mrcyc.jpg

I like the design and simplicity of these gate hinges, just a big bolt with some bits of tube and plate. I'm going to copy them when I next need to make some hinges. :icon-ugeek:

IMG_9582_zpsdp0jm6ty.jpg

The tracks were good.

IMG_9585_zpsbaid8toa.jpg

IMG_9586_zps3ibfbs9v.jpg

IMG_9588_zps1twjtzvo.jpg

With a few good water crossings.

IMG_9589_zps9yct236j.jpg

The Deck Fruit & Veg Garden.

So as I mentioned previously some of my tomato plants failed miserably since I stressed them by not watering them for a couple of days due to the fact I didnt think I needed to as it rained. :doh:

But thinking about it I used cheap poor quality potting mix which is mainly bark. I also planted the plants far too closely together and I dont think some of the pots were big enough or had good enough drainage. :oops:

The ones on the left in the much bigger pot have bounced back quite nicely.

IMG_9556_zpsx1vbdudj.jpg

IMG_9557_zpsmbhdly9v.jpg

Where as the ones on the right in the small pot and planted very closely together have failed to come back to life.

IMG_9558_zpsrwwsjbxo.jpg

And some of the storks were completely dead.

IMG_9560_zpsumuvxtlu.jpg

IMG_9561_zpsom8pgzfa.jpg

Some of the other plants have also bounced back a little and look like they will survive but there still planted far too close together.

IMG_9562_zpslpjydg8q.jpg

IMG_9563_zps20vtuinw.jpg

So the plan is to try again!

Ultimately long term I want to be fully self sufficient for fruit, veggies and chicken and eggs. So although this is a complete learning curve for me and I've never been into gardening before its important I keep trying until I get it right. :icon-biggrin:

The previous tenants left a lot of stuff in the garage when they left, among it these 2 metal frames.

IMG_9519_zpsrbo4bpvx.jpg

I figured I could use them and grow a tomato plant inside each one.

Bought some pots.

IMG_9517_zpsq8xqkqkw.jpg

Needed to make some room by moving the pineapple plants over a bit.

IMG_9515_zpsq0kkyio2.jpg

IMG_9516_zpspfeiovkb.jpg

Screwed the new pots in place.

IMG_9518_zpskx2tdqz2.jpg

Broke up an old concrete roof tile.

IMG_9520_zps4x3ybziz.jpg

And put the bits in the bottom of the pots to aid drainage.

IMG_9521_zpssgimvydi.jpg

Invested in some much better quality soil this time.

IMG_9522_zpsdowgnuz0.jpg

Filled the pots up.

IMG_9523_zpstsnqeb1a.jpg

And added the metal cages which are a really nice snug fit inside the pots.

IMG_9524_zpshqjrsqyh.jpg

IMG_9525_zpsbpy65cfx.jpg

IMG_9526_zpsebcp274j.jpg

IMG_9527_zpsdp4v5mmh.jpg

I picked up a load more pallets, this time from a company that imports and sells big TV's, so lots of long pallets with decent bits of timber in them to be harvested.

IMG_9576_zpsspfjqbmj.jpg

IMG_9577_zpsismzknxy.jpg

I also grabbed some more decent compost.

IMG_9578_zpsg3yadjvp.jpg

Stripped some of the pallets down and realised I could cut all the timber I needed for the new tomato planter I was building without having to pull any of the old nails out.

IMG_9590_zpsmuinjame.jpg

IMG_9592_zpsgqrgf54r.jpg

Screwed all the bits together.

IMG_9593_zpswry5dh5b.jpg

IMG_9594_zpscgqiyar4.jpg

IMG_9595_zpseysnxlbz.jpg

Cut some cement sheet to fit in the bottom and drilled a load of drainage holes.

IMG_9596_zpsytlqrray.jpg

Followed by some broken up tiles and crockery to aid drainage.

IMG_9597_zpscxxveawu.jpg

Removed the small planter with the failed plants.

IMG_9598_zpsykxkg7pg.jpg

And screwed the new one in position.

IMG_9607_zpswxvpyyqg.jpg

IMG_9610_zpsrd34uang.jpg

And the little old planter has gone on the end of the other big planter and I've planted some baby carrot seeds in.

IMG_9611_zps2kjynrnc.jpg

IMG_9612_zpsp0i5xz5o.jpg

So I need some more tomato seedlings for the new planter and 2 pots.

I put some of my seeds on some damp paper towel inside a zip-lock bag and left them to germinate.

IMG_9494_zpsebl7qden.jpg

A few days later and most of the seeds had begun to sprout and were ready for potting.

IMG_9545_zpsxgzoohow.jpg

IMG_9550_zpshq7otixh.jpg

Drilled some drainage holes in the bottom of some recycled plastic salad pots.

IMG_9547_zpsmobkeyiq.jpg

IMG_9548_zpsndweahyd.jpg

Filled them with the decent potting mix.

IMG_9549_zps6kkxltff.jpg

Made some holes with a pen.

IMG_9551_zpspa1k8r2y.jpg

IMG_9552_zpsmtuwzash.jpg

Dropped the germinated seeds in, filled the holes in and gave them a water.

IMG_9555_zpszpntxbju.jpg

A few days later and all the baby tomato plants had started to sprout.

IMG_9656_zpsuygy8jz6.jpg

I decided to use the 3rd sink I had from the demolition job and hung it below the other 2.

IMG_9603_zpsdxhoxkz4.jpg

IMG_9604_zpsjaypszfe.jpg

The spinach has started to spout in the top sink now.

IMG_9624_zpsczp3mi7f.jpg

We bought some hybrid strawberry's for the other 2.

IMG_9625_zpshjoxa4cl.jpg

IMG_9626_zpsvhnpyzp1.jpg

IMG_9627_zps5fl0x2jr.jpg

IMG_9628_zps91nyt8zt.jpg

The capsicum's are continuing to flourish.

IMG_9564_zpsbfjjgemv.jpg

IMG_9565_zpsflkumwit.jpg

IMG_9566_zpsu4mpircn.jpg

As is the recently planted rocket and lettuce seeds.

IMG_9567_zps5wmyviqu.jpg

IMG_9568_zpsr6rnkinx.jpg

Work.

I've been out of work for over 3 weeks now and when I got a call on Tuesday offering me a days work doing some laboring on a site up the road I decided to take it!

Went and did some painting for a day, had to paint a load of roof raters that are being fitted on a big multi million dollar property thats being built.

IMG_9537_zpsrdrnlh9g.jpg

IMG_9538_zpspdydfqa6.jpg

Used an awesome machine that pumps paint out of the roller, built in the USA.

IMG_9539_zpsu7osifda.jpg

IMG_9540_zpsr9rvlcgd.jpg

IMG_9541_zps6wer1wpi.jpg

IMG_9542_zpshvdmmokv.jpg

I've got to get one when we start renovating! Awesome bit of kit! :clap:

IMG_9543_zpsk9rmjhoj.jpg

IMG_9544_zps0bccaj5h.jpg

It was pretty boring work but I figured it was OK for one day and a few hundred dollars! :icon-smile:

The Trailer Project.

I need to change the tow hitch/coupling on the trailer I bought as its an old imperial 1" 7/8's and wont fit the modern 50mm tow balls on my cars and the previous owner kept the adapter that was fitted to the trailer. :icon-ugeek:

So I ordered a new hitch and a mounting plate for it which I will weld onto the trailer after cutting the old hitch off.

IMG_9658_zpshh6pw1rr.jpg

I'm going to use my Miller Dynasty welder for the work on the trailer but rather than using it as a TIG (which would mean buying another bottle of argon) I'm going to use it as an ARC welder.

So I needed to make up a cable for the electro holder as I only got the TIG torch and earth cable when I bought it.

I did however get the Miller fittings in the box.

IMG_9477_zpsuung6maz.jpg

And I had got some nice thick cable.

IMG_9478_zpswcnr7cr1.jpg

IMG_9479_zpsygwm6xwl.jpg

IMG_9480_zpsrysmgg4m.jpg

The new electro holder should have been here Friday but it never showed up. As soon as thats been delivered and fitted on the other end of the cable I can start the trailer renovation.

Hoping to get the trailer done next weekend. :icon-biggrin:

Once the trailer is done were going to get away for a weekend in LJ with the trailer which will have the motorbike in and go camping and riding. :dance:

Last edited:
Hunt out Better Homes and Gardens that was on TV on Friday night Ben, they had a bit on there about tomato plants and keeping the leaf numbers down so that the energy is put into growing tomatoes instead of leaves...

Good update :). Poor Lexi with the cone, jet didn't like her cone of shame either ;)

For the tomatoes, yes I think that small tub was too small, OK for one plant maybe but not 4. They get through a lot of water.
When my tomatoes are growing I inspect them event couPle days for side shoots that appear and snap them off, otherwise I end up with heaps of tomatoes but none ripen... But northern Scotland is a bit colder than where you are , even with mine growing I a greenhouse . The peppers and other veg look great.
I need to take my trailer round to neighbour farmer for a ton of cow or horse muck from their midden, to mix in with soil in my polytunnel and veg plot so I can get stuff growing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we used to grow about 6000 plants semi-hydroponically with good results.the main thing is keeping the feed and moisture levels right.There is a lot of info on the web and we used a lot of info from the UK and the Channel Islands.the simplist method is to make up a brew in a large container and trickle feed to the base of the plants.It also means that you can go away for a few days and your plants keep growing.I'll see what I can find in advisory books etc.and let you know.

Thanks guys, all very interesting. :thumbup:

I've just watched the episode of Better Homes & Gardens and it was interesting about removing the leaves on the tomato plants so they put all their energy into tomato production. They also had an interesting strawberry setup where by they had a load of 6" PVC pipes in the ground that were filled with soil with holes cut randomly in the pipes with strawberry plants growing out of them. :think:

I'm thinking eventually I will go down the poly tunnel/glass house route and grow them on a much larger scale along with lots of other fruits and veggies.

Hydroponics sounds interesting too, although I want to keep it all organic. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have a look at this Ben; it takes it to the next stage.... self fertilising water supply!

Screenshot_20160426-225943.png

I just saw this on Facebook

That looks like it has your name all over it Ben. [emoji4]

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Trouble is that mid wheel base is the equivalent distance away of the UK to Spain and the engine isnt running. :doh:

I think I've found another 70 anyway! :shifty:

Going to look at it tonight. :shhh:

I bought a soft top 70 last night! :shifty:

Picking it up Saturday morning! :dance:

Not sure what the plan is with it exactly yet, but it will be a nice body to replace LJ's with when the time comes. :think:

From what I can tell Toyota never made a later square head light LJ/KZJ70 soft top only the 73/74 mid wheel base. :ugeek:

So I'm thinking it would be cool to build one and have the later square head light front end on a soft top body. :icon-cool:

Attachments

• soft top lj70 (600 x 409).jpg
    soft top lj70 (600 x 409).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I'm sure it would be great Ben if only that it would be coming from you. I just personally quite like the one in your picture. It just seems to have a timeless elegance about it. A little reminiscent of a Mk1 Golf perhaps?

Thanks mate. :)

They do look good! But that model was sold here in Australia and I'd rather build something a bit more unique.

I'm considering putting the front end from one of the new V8 70's on instead! I've seen it done to a few LJ/RJ70's here but never to a soft top.

Leaving in a few hours to go and pick the new one up. Fingers crossed LJ tows it back OK and I can get the mountain of spares it comes with on the trailer, otherwise I will have to make a few trips. :D

Picking it up Saturday morning! :dance:

Not sure what the plan is with it exactly yet, but it will be a nice body to replace LJ's with when the time comes. :think:

From what I can tell Toyota never made a later square head light LJ/KZJ70 soft top only the 73/74 mid wheel base. :ugeek:

So I'm thinking it would be cool to build one and have the later square head light front end on a soft top body. :icon-cool:

everyone loves a soft top 4x4! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Thanks mate. :D

Hoping to get a big update up tonight. :wink:

Picking it up Saturday morning! :dance: Not sure what the plan is with it exactly yet, but it will be a nice body to replace LJ's with when the time comes. :think: From what I can tell Toyota never made a later square head light LJ/KZJ70 soft top only the 73/74 mid wheel base. :ugeek: So I'm thinking it would be cool to build one and have the later square head light front end on a soft top body. :icon-cool:

Looking forward to the soft-top pics Ben!

Poor Lexi, still she'll be up and running in no time.

image.jpeg
hour little boy Vinnie had to go to the vet today with a wasp sting in his right front paw.the look on his face when he came for help brings the emotions up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 111
The New Job.

I did my first week in the new job!

I'm working for a huge international company as an internal glazier installing shower screens, mirrors and built in wardrobes and sliding doors.

It will be a bit tough for the first few months as my salary isnt huge, but once I'm competent and I'm out there doing my own installations I will be earning good money as the commission and bonuses are very good.

Its also a great package and as my Dad would say "its a socks and pants job" as they provide everything, they provide all your shirts, trousers, boots, tools, phone & van! :)

They sent me out with some of the other fitters this week so I could learn about the different products and how we install them. Here's a few pics of what I/we installed this week, but I promise I wont bore you with more of these pics in the future! :laughing:

IMG_9668_zpspibro1fo.jpg

IMG_9670_zps6naditpe.jpg

IMG_9669_zpsiuvahrgt.jpg

IMG_9671_zpsigznzgip.jpg

IMG_9672_zps2rzbjz1h.jpg

IMG_9673_zpsahpqxpem.jpg

IMG_9674_zpseehsk1oy.jpg

IMG_9675_zpsyx0n4sge.jpg

IMG_9678_zpskx471ukk.jpg

Bec was amazing Again and surprised me when I got home on my first day! :hearteyes:

Found a note on the front door.

IMG_9662_zpsr3wc3hfx.jpg

And this in the freezer! :smileycat:

IMG_9663_zpskdf68nec.jpg

Lexi.

Lexi has recovered well from her surgery and decided to squeeze one of the palm throngs that she plays with in the garden, through the dog flap this morning so she could bring it into the lounge! :laughing:

IMG_9778_zpsl4jhlbmi.jpg

After clearing that mess up we took her for a play date with the other Border Collie from her puppy school.

The 2 girls had a great time playing together in the rain while we stood and chatted with the other young couple.

IMG_9779_zpsmffsqqbp.jpg

IMG_9780_zpsfs3mau9k.jpg

IMG_9781_zpsetxprfsq.jpg

IMG_9783_zpskritm7mm.jpg

IMG_9782_zps5poosh4g.jpg

She was exhausted after an hour of that and fell asleep on the way home.

IMG_9786_zpshvkat4xq.jpg

IMG_9787_zpshwmwlqbh.jpg

Welder.

I fitted the new electrode holder onto the welding lead I made up for the Miller Dynasty, so I'm now ready to do the work on the trailer project that I need to do.

IMG_9664_zpsxp0cjbvb.jpg

IMG_9665_zpsdlfbnbpi.jpg

IMG_9666_zpsbynm8cjm.jpg

1985 RJ70 Soft Top.

So last week my mate Brady, down in Melbourne messaged me to say have you seen the blue soft top on Gumtree.

This one:

13081635_10153816227328509_1420378020_n_zpslmatqukm.jpg

13084249_10153816227108509_262357274_n_zps748corri.jpg

13115895_10153816226428509_1429129945_n_zpszyxhtzsm.jpg

13115422_10153816226513509_2050882113_n_zpsgp6wroy4.jpg

13084296_10153816226333509_1317970803_n_zps0oyk3t08.jpg

13090190_10153816226963509_1441412245_n_zpsjvl0jpnb.jpg

13082171_10153816226858509_1853376031_n_zpsdb3pdavk.jpg

13082152_10153816226728509_1394321383_n_zpsydnuu33k.jpg

13081903_10153816226988509_1256590980_n_zpsl7y24sba.jpg

I did some searching on Google images and after 10 minutes I found the car, from when it was offered for sale 6 years ago.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/classifieds/42950-v8-short-wheel-base-landcruiser-soft-top

It looked very similar back then but had a slightly different spec and had a V8 petrol engine running on LPG rather than the 2.4TD engine that it now has.

Heres the pics from the above link:

DSCF4625_zpsed4isvb2.jpg

DSCF4633_zpsgt9phflk.jpg

DSCF4629_zpsnwcr4y4u.jpg

DSCF4631_zpsftupgyfx.jpg

BUNDERA%20005_zpshyu6gbs6.jpg

So I went and looked at it Wednesday evening and agreed to buy it! :smilingimp:

Yesterday morning I removed the heavy fridge and slide from LJ to make it a bit lighter and to give me more room in the back.

IMG_9680_zpsty2oxy0p.jpg

Picked up a hire trailer from the local fuel servo and set off for North Brisbane 100km's/60miles away up the motorway.

All was going well until we went over a long bridge on the motorway and the bloody trailer came off doing 100kmh! I looked in the mirror and the thing was airborne behind us! :openmouth:

I managed to safely slow down and pull over and the safety chain had thankfully kept the trailer leashed to the car and I was able to get it back on.

I'm not sure if I had forgotten to click the lock down or not but the spring on the lock was pretty loose so I put a little carabiner through it to hopefully stop it from jumping off again.

IMG_9700_zpsq6jgrd4s.jpg

The previous owner, Kieran, was a really nice guy and helped me load RJ onto the trailer as well as the mountain of spares he had given me with it and we set off for home.

Hers a shot Kieran got of us pulling out of the end of his street.

IMG_9698_zpscftnjfwj.jpg

The drive back was pretty uneventful and LJ actually towed it a lot better than I thought she might. I sat on 90-100kmh the whole way back and kept it in 4th gear to avoid damaging the gearbox with the weak 5th gear that LandCruisers are renowned for. It was a warmish day but the engine temp never got above 90 and sat at around 80 for most of the journey.

We arrived home.

IMG_9681_zps8uuqgwgy.jpg

IMG_9682_zpsf8qlvnhk.jpg

IMG_9683_zps3bbrnjmg.jpg

And the ratchet straps and D shackles kept RJ safely strapped in place the whole way back.

IMG_9684_zpshwtwwndv.jpg

LJ was however sat on the rear bump stops the whole way, I desperately need stiffer rear springs! :flushed:

IMG_9685_zpsbgwmylq0.jpg

IMG_9693_zpsj2j7g0vz.jpg

I got a few pics of the underside of RJ while she was on the trailer.

Front and rear Superior Engineering heavy duty adjustable panhard rods. :smilingimp:

IMG_9688_zpslulyl1gm.jpg

IMG_9689_zpsbuiow9ri.jpg

IMG_9691_zpsbnan09xy.jpg

And Dobinsons 80 series front springs all round, giving a 4" suspension lift.

IMG_9690_zpsv8aavtwz.jpg

As the engine had the head removed as it had cracked, getting it off the trailer with just Bec and I proved tricky.

First I had to jack the trailer up as it was tilting towards LJ as it was sat on the bump stops.

IMG_9694_zps3jydw6yv.jpg

We were then able to push it off the trailer between us and then fortunately one of my neighbors, who we have never met before was driving past and asked if we needed a hand pushing it into the garage.

We gladly accepted his kind offer and its a good job we did as even with 3 people pushing it was still bloody hard!

So LJ has now been demoted to living in the back garden and RJ gets the garage!

IMG_9695_zpshqpx9y8q.jpg

I got a mountain of spares with the car.

2 spare bonnets that we strapped to the trailer under RJ.

IMG_9696_zpsnkq5ki3q.jpg

IMG_9697_zpsttn01ecg.jpg

A load of panels that we carried in the back of LJ.

IMG_9701_zpsebbpwa3g.jpg

3 x wings (or front guards as they call them here).

IMG_9702_zpsmtedmfjy.jpg

IMG_9703_zpsmtqatbue.jpg

IMG_9704_zps439ldqy1.jpg

There was more parts in the back of RJ.

IMG_9706_zps5lgzhtdi.jpg

IMG_9707_zpsqsgnvxrs.jpg

IMG_9708_zps06qcgxgi.jpg

Lots of heater matrix's.

IMG_9709_zpst0bnuvn6.jpg

2 x turbo's, 1 almost brand new, the other slightly worn but still usable.

IMG_9710_zps9st52sgy.jpg

IMG_9711_zpsjv9anlur.jpg

The cracked head from the 2.4 TD 2LT engine thats currently fitted.

IMG_9712_zps3fubpsvx.jpg

It has been pressure tested and the cracks marked.

IMG_9713_zpswv9ljibo.jpg

IMG_9714_zpskg3wilc6.jpg

IMG_9715_zps1bxde60u.jpg

IMG_9716_zps1dzypxwd.jpg

IMG_9717_zpso86ohdgf.jpg

Kieran did an excellent job of labeling all the engine parts when he stripped the engine down to remove the head.

IMG_9718_zpsmszdv9vn.jpg

These are all the parts from the stripped motor.

IMG_9721_zpsx5ogqlhf.jpg

Lots more spare parts.

IMG_9722_zps46lelhve.jpg

IMG_9723_zpsxjtchofm.jpg

IMG_9724_zpsfeliexmq.jpg

IMG_9726_zpsooesrxnd.jpg

IMG_9727_zpsq2i0o9eo.jpg

The aircon parts as RJ has factory aircon.

IMG_9728_zpsfvds879h.jpg

He gave me all the new parts he had brought to fix the engine, all it needs is a new head which he hadnt yet sourced.

IMG_9729_zpsmxupqow2.jpg

These are the removable rear windows.

IMG_9730_zps5si5glxf.jpg

The bigger, drivers side one is in great condition.

IMG_9731_zpsplaw99te.jpg

But sadly the other one is badly corroded.

IMG_9732_zps052jlp7t.jpg

IMG_9733_zpsirzv6m6o.jpg

Kieran had the great idea of cutting the window frame off a normal hard top rear door to weld to the brackets on the rotten soft top one!

He gave me the brackets that go on the bonnet and secure the windscreen in position when its folded down.

IMG_9734_zpsh7i4rdc5.jpg

One of them is missing some parts but I'm sure they could be made if not bought.

IMG_9735_zpstfcysbdg.jpg

He gave me the special double pivot windscreen wipers that allow the windscreen to fold down.

IMG_9736_zpsk7nrpfbf.jpg

IMG_9737_zpshasvxn7o.jpg

He gave me some freshly powder coated rock sliders/side steps/scrub bars that mount to the bullbar at the front.

IMG_9686_zpse0kfu9gf.jpg

The bullbar is a rare original, genuine Toyota one that kieran had started to modify to take a winch.

IMG_9738_zpsel4diunu.jpg

Its shaped perfectly around the contour of the front panel.

IMG_9739_zpsgzalxf4g.jpg

The modifications to turn it into a winchbar .

IMG_9740_zpslapkqehy.jpg

IMG_9741_zpsaqdfy3l8.jpg

And this is the original 9000lb Toyota supplied Super Winch that is to be mounted to it.

IMG_9742_zpswamwos3r.jpg

IMG_9743_zpszblns6ja.jpg

IMG_9744_zpsvrzsiyce.jpg

He added aerial tabs and tabs for a light bar.

IMG_9745_zps8wtsqkpl.jpg

IMG_9746_zpsebwj1xdd.jpg

He gave me the Ironman light bar that bolts onto the tabs on the bullbar.

IMG_9747_zpsrketmj4t.jpg

IMG_9748_zpsefert08i.jpg

I couldnt get all the parts in LJ, RJ and on the trailer. So we did another trip up in the Astra yesterday evening to collect the rest of it.

We ended up with one very full car!

IMG_9749_zpsxoevdxax.jpg

He gave me a fiberglass replacement screen surround complete with screen.

IMG_9752_zpsbyhqg1ec.jpg

As the screen surround on RJ is starting to rust out, as they always do.

IMG_9750_zpszyp17yno.jpg

IMG_9751_zpsifvdh1hy.jpg

Aluminium checkered sheet to go on the 2 rock sliders/side steps and a piece to go on the rear tube bar.

IMG_9753_zpszyrxkakp.jpg

A decent receiver hitch tow bar.

IMG_9756_zpsselzc8up.jpg

IMG_9757_zpsar6zskfw.jpg

Another dash board.

IMG_9754_zpsfbbsydo6.jpg

I'm not sure if the dash boards in the soft tops are identical to the hard tops or not, but this spare one is out of another soft top as it has the sticker on the drivers side.

IMG_9755_zpsjcpbi2dv.jpg

An original genuine frame that goes beneath the standard soft top.

IMG_9758_zpsikhp21bi.jpg

Its looking slightly worse for wear, but these are so rare and it could possibly be repaired or copied.

IMG_9759_zpsfqlmwjcl.jpg

This is the rear section that the removable door tops shut into.

IMG_9760_zpsquiatouo.jpg

IMG_9761_zpssrzigbrd.jpg

IMG_9762_zpsybpfj1em.jpg

A pair of inner guards/arches.

IMG_9763_zpscymkdtji.jpg

A spare gearbox/transferbox.

IMG_9764_zps3jqjnqvw.jpg

A pair of drive shafts/prop shafts.

IMG_9765_zps7pqvgfae.jpg

A fuel tank with guard.

IMG_9766_zpsn4xyn5un.jpg

Theres a rear bench seat too that I forgot but Kieran is hoping to drop off to me next weekend.

So lets take a closer look at what I've bought............................

With the soft top removed there is a nice chunky roll bar/hoop made from 75mm alluminium tube.

IMG_9767_zpsnejbll7f.jpg

I will probably get it powder coated black along with the bull bar and rear bar once their finished.

IMG_9768_zpskjd0zsut.jpg

I like the rear bar! Not stupidly heavy like LJ's but perfectly adequate at protecting the rear end.

IMG_9769_zpsoqsenbu7.jpg

Blue airbrushed flames wouldnt have been my first choice but I dont hate it and it looks smart enough for now.

IMG_9770_zpsyuppbfxl.jpg

Few pics of the inside.

IMG_9771_zpstdh2kari.jpg

IMG_9772_zpsgei3rl6k.jpg

I'm thinking the sun shade will have to go as it will prevent me from locking the windscreen down onto the bonnet, so that might go on LJ instead as I actually quite like it.

IMG_9774_zpsvizn2dtk.jpg

OK....................

So heres what I'm thinking...........................

The original plan was to source a replacement body for LJ as LJ's body is only going to last so long, what with the roof swap after the roll over and all the welding and filling that has been done over the years.

So I thought it would be cool to put a super rare soft top body on it and as they are hard to find and often very rotten I would start looking now and it might take a year or 2 to find a suitable donor, but when one comes up in the right condition I could sell all the parts off to recover some money and just store the body for a few years until I need it.

But seen as RJ is in such good condition and Kieran has done some great work on it so far, I cant bring myself to do that to it, its just too good and deserves to be fixed up and put back on the road.

But that got me thinking can I really justify another car when I already have 2 cars and a motorbike registered and on the road?

Then I thought about it some more and thought bugger it! I dont need to justify it! Having a car collection might not make much financial sense but that doesnt matter, if it makes you happy then its perfectly justified!

So what I want to do is either get a head and fix the 2LT engine thats currently fitted, or fit something different, either a 2.8 or 1KZ-T.

-Finish the rear bar and bull bar and get them shot blast and powder coated black.

-Get the roll hoop powder coated black.

-I need a spare wheel and a new set of 33" tyres.

-Fit the windscreen hold downs to the bonnet.

-Service the winch and source a fair lead and hook (I've already got a spare plasma rope) and an albright solenoid.

-Fit a rear seat and belts.

And then it should be some where near usable. I cant afford to spend any money on it just yet as I havent really received any wages in over a month now and I need to start building the saving accounts back up ready for the wedding later in the year and buying a house next year.

But I would love to have it back on the road when 4 of my mates arrive from the UK for my wedding, so we can take LJ and RJ to Fraser Island for a few days.

How cool would RJ look with the tops removed from the front doors and windscreen folded down, cruising along 75mile beach!

But of course this means I will still need a replacement body for LJ, but as I now own a soft top I will try and find a rust free hard top body instead!

Finally.......................

Huge thanks to Brady for finding it for me, Kieran for being such a great guy to deal with and Bec for being incredible and supporting and encouraging me to buy yet more toys! :grinning:

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts Ben:
-Historic/Club Rego for one of the Land Cruisers?
-Look at a 3L head; they bolt up to the 2LT and are supposed to be less prone to cracking
-And in a similar vein, a 10 blade 5L fan is supposed to help a lot with cooling according to the 4Runner/Surf guys here.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Brilliant Ben, you're right, no excuses needed for new toys, especially as Bec and Lexi will enjoy that in the summer.

Being happy is more important, you have your whole lives ahead of you to catch up with domestic spend.

Back