Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Isolation For Sound

emrahdeniz

Country Flag
turkey
I bought a 1989 LJ70, 2.4 Diesel (2L, not Turbo) in Turkey. The car was previously rebuilt thus I did not have to make the basic upgrades, thus went on modifying the details.

I hate the noise in the cars thus I decided to isolate the car for sound and vibration. In this thread I'll be posting the work.

Pictures of the car as I bought.
The previous upgrades: Hyraulic Steering, Disk Brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Top, etc.

20141112_160301.jpg20141112_160225.jpg

After tyres, some decals, side bars.
20141122_121642.jpg20141122_121551.jpg20141207_162119.jpg
235/85 R16 BF Goodrich, MT Tyres. (32 9.5 R16)
10.5 would fit better but the powerless engine would have hard time on these tires.

The sound isolation work

The noise level on the car has decreased a lot. Even the sound of closing the doors has changed.

The engine noise decreased a lot but the old 2.4 engine is so noisy that it is impossible to get totally rid of it.

First I got evertyhing out of the car (seats, floor mat etc)

1.jpg
2.jpg
Floor of the car was surprisingly in good condition. There were some repairs from previous times but still no paint.

3.jpg

There was a great dust (in fact mud) inside all places. It was time to use hose and car washers to get out of all dust, both for a clean breath and clean surface for pitch application.
4.jpg
5.jpg

After the general cleaning we started to apply BTM Bituself Material
simself oto ses yal?t?m? bitüself oto ses yal?t?m?.JPGBituself.jpg

It is a self adhesive pitch with aluminium outer. It is easy to apply.

6.2.jpg

After application an industrial fan has to be used for the best grip on surface.
6.jpg

12.jpg11.jpg

All doors and floor was applied with this Bituself.
7.jpg
9.jpg

After the bituself application the doors was again coated with the following foam used for sound isolation.

8.jpg

After all, the rest is the classic floor covering of car. This was done in an interior design shop.
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.jpg

Special Made Toyota Seats
20141226_153418.jpg

Attachments

• Vites Ustu.png
    Vites Ustu.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 313
You have a really nice car, and a you made good job, your car seat was impressive.

The car seats are from Hyundai Coupe :) The previous owner has changed them, but I updated the covers.

thank you for your comments :)

Last edited:
How is sound level now; I have the Sam vehicle but with 35” cooper tires and despite the low performance of the 2.4lt, in four low it walks over everything and I never get stuck and have used my wench only to pull out others. The sound of the tires are not bad and I can cruise all day at 100 km at around 2600 rpm, I have even had it up to 120 with these tires at 3000 rpm, but 4low crawls less than walking speed

The sound isolation work

The noise level on the car has decreased a lot. Even the sound of closing the doors has changed.

The engine noise decreased a lot but the old 2.4 engine is so noisy that it is impossible to get totally rid of it.

First I got evertyhing out of the car (seats, floor mat etc)

View attachment 30272
View attachment 30273
Floor of the car was surprisingly in good condition. There were some repairs from previous times but still no paint.

View attachment 30274

There was a great dust (in fact mud) inside all places. It was time to use hose and car washers to get out of all dust, both for a clean breath and clean surface for pitch application.
View attachment 30275
View attachment 30276

After the general cleaning we started to apply BTM Bituself Material
View attachment 30289View attachment 30290

It is a self adhesive pitch with aluminium outer. It is easy to apply.

View attachment 30278

After application an industrial fan has to be used for the best grip on surface.
View attachment 30277

View attachment 30283View attachment 30282

All doors and floor was applied with this Bituself.
View attachment 30279
View attachment 30281

After the bituself application the doors was again coated with the following foam used for sound isolation.

View attachment 30280

After all, the rest is the classic floor covering of car. This was done in an interior design shop.
View attachment 30286
View attachment 30285
View attachment 30284

Special Made Toyota Seats
View attachment 30291
Where you show the "industrial fan", is it actually a heat gun?
If so, what temperature is needed to adhere as desired?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hocam merhabalar.Yarın mta ihalesine gireceğim kalırsa bi tane lj70 sizi rahatsız edebilirmiyim toplarken.Darlandığım konularda.hoşçakalın

Back