Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 (2L-TE) Intercooler Installation / Performance Boost

Wills

Country Flag
great_britain
After quite a lot of research, I've found a few people that say the 2L-TE engine isn't as bad as its made out to be!

Seeing as I can't afford the 1KZT engine swap, and don't have the workshop to do it even if I did, so I'm looking to improve the baby 2.4.

Basically I've read that its all about keeping the EGTs down, so there are two things I can do myself:

1) Fit a snorkel:

Does this make a difference to EGT's? Cooler air from the outside? I read that inlet air from a snorkel is around 15degrees cooler than with the standard setup.

2) Fit an intercooler:

Has anyone here done this to the LJ78?
Seeing as I'm starting from scratch would it be better to fit a water-air intercooler or are the air-air ones good enough for anything the 2.4 would do?
Does anyone know which size (dimensions) or make of intercooler to get for the 2.4? I'm planning to do a front mount installation as there is little room on top.

I love my car to pieces. Literally, I've been taking parts of it apart and putting it back together again since I bought it 6 weeks ago. I've removed all unnecessary lamps/fog lamps from the front to increase air flow into the radiator, the bull bars have also gone! Much prettier imho.

IMG_4211_zpslrrr2xhq.jpg

Just checking out my wheel articulation on the chunky tyres / standard springs / no cutting panels for Lincomb in a couple of weeks!! Touching nowhere. Not many places to try my car out where I am, many many gun wielding farmers around, and we don't want to upset anyone, so thanks go to my parents for letting me ruin their bank :)

All advice greatly appreciated! Cheers.

Love your enthusiasm Wills :thumbup:

I don't know the 2LT but making sure the cooling system is in good shape , replacing coolant and maybe a new thermostat might be good place to start , and a larger diameter exhaust should help keep egt's down better than anything else .

Was told that an aluminium rad fitted will keep the down.

There are pros and cons with Water to air vs air to air. If you go air to air, fit as large a intercooler possible in the front. Water to air has the benefit of needing just a little cooler in front vs a large intercooler, but more plumbing and things are required for the overall setup.

the 2LTE is a crap engine. period.
I have run larger exhaust, 4 core rad, removed the AC, high nickel head, dialed the turbo boost up and the fuel down (runs cooler) and added an intercooler ... and STILL the head cracked.
the BEST thing to add to a 2LTE is a pyrometer and aftermarket water temp gauge and drive accordingly.
but the absolute best thing to do to a 2LTE is remove it and install a PZ or HZ engine.
the rest of the truck is bullet proof.
best of luck in your endevors.

BTW, the KZ engine has its own expensive issues to deal with.

If you fit an aftermarket temp gauge and exhaust gas temp (EGT/Pyro) gauge and intercooler you could wind the boost and fuel up a bit.

I fitted a front mount intercooler to my 2lt years ago out of a 2.8td Frontera, fitted quite nicely. :icon-biggrin:

But really, as others have said they are a crap engine, thats why I converted to a 1KZ. :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the replies everyone! Its going to a long job, as this is my every day car right now. Eventually I want to get a 1HD engine shoehorned in, but for now I just need to make sure my 2.4 doesn't let me down. EGT and water temp gauges bought.

I need a new radiator as my one is leaking slowly. Where would I go to get a new one?

Roughtrax or Milners are often the first port of call for trucks as old as ours but some will only use genuine Toyota which comes at a premium price so importing genuine from Amayama is cheaper .

Your engines lasted this long Wills take care of it and it may last a few years yet :thumbup:

156000km apparently - I wouldn't be surprised if it was wound back when it left Japan, but I've got records of the milage from 1998 which can't have been fiddled, so it can't be outrageously high.

Roughtrax can't provide me with the right radiator apparently, I'll see if I can get the one I have re-cored.

Back