Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LSD vs non-LSD oil

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Busy putting together a shopping list of oils for the 120.

According to Opie Oils, this is the only option for the 120: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-773-silkole ... l-oil.aspx

My handbook says some of the 120s have LSDs, TBH, I don't know if mine does (will call friendly Mr-T man tomorrow). Will putting an LSD oil into a non-LSD diff matter? I know (am sure?) the other way round is bad, but if I have no LSD?

Well the 120 LC3 has an electric locker - and that's a fact. But when I read the sales blurb, it actually said - trust me, that it had BOTH!!! I never found out the truth. It never felt like it I have to say.

I don't think that adding LSD oil to a non LSD diff would matter. The additive is something to do with the plates I think. But the oil still has to lubricate gears. I would buy straight oil and a bottle of LSD additive so you have both options.

Wuestion is, will Toyota actually know?

Chris

Cant see it being a problem. For many years we used standard oil with an extra additive we added if LSD was fitted. Worth knowing what you have though.

The friendly parts manager at the local Mr-T has my VIN number pinned to his monitor. He knows all. :ugeek:

Jacking up the rear axle and spinning one wheel, the other should spin the same way if there is an LSD? Or, axle-stand under one wheel, open CD and drive forward and it should move off the stand. Wait - ATAC might "help out" there...

I wouldn't over estimate just how much limit there is to the limited slip diff. I know this is a question about the right oil, but testing one by hand is not really a definitive test. One wheel up, try to turn quickly you should feel resistance. If it's working. Usually Toyota have a sticker / plate their diffs if the are an LSD.

IIRC it says 'Use LDS oil'

Chris

You can always use LSD oil.
Some say it's better for the non-lsd diffs as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Well the 120 LC3 has an electric locker - and that's a fact. But when I read the sales blurb, it actually said - trust me, that it had BOTH!!!

Chris
When I was at Toyota some months back, I asked for full complete oil changes.
On the LC3, just as Chris says, it has both.
It is an LSD which is also lockable.

Best of both worlds I guess.

NB, the only oil they seriously did not want to change, was the auto box oil,
Totally not required yet.
You have not reached 500,000 miles.

G.

Crispin, I had the same dilemma some time back with my 120 and I called Toyo UK. The dealers with the VIN are useless and haven't a clue (or at least portray that fact maybe to avoid looking something up). No surprise there. :roll: My LC5 had a standard diff and apparently LSDs are relatively rare. A good chance it's a regular mechanical diff, especially if you have a leccy locker. I think I used 80W90 hypoid gear oil at the time. Drain a bit to find out.

Back