Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Marine Engine

Spent many a day in the crank case, doing bearing leads.
Taking off a bearing cap from a piston rod, and fitting strips of lead, the tightening the bearing cap back down.

Sounds just like using plastigauge but with lead instead (being so massive)!

That may look like a Sulzer or BW.

Spent many a day in the crank case, doing bearing leads.
Taking off a bearing cap from a piston rod, and fitting strips of lead, the tightening the bearing cap back down.
Then opening it up again to measure the thickness of the leads.
2 stroke ,with exhaust scavange ports, the Sulzers had a beautiful rotary exhaust valve arrangement.
They typically run at 120 RPM full speed, and yes, started with a kick of compressed air, via an air distributor.
FOR'd or astern, make no difference, however, generally easier to start in astern, as the prop was not as efficient is astern, so less water to move.
These are crank shaft, directly coupled to the propeller shaft.

Many of the slow speed diesels had a cylinder bore diameter of 1,10 M and a stroke of 3 meters, it was interesting to lift the cylinder heads, (individual) then use a ladder to get down the the piston crown

Oh the good days..................

Typically 170,000 HP, all mine !

Brilliant Graham, says Dave, green with envy.

regards

Dave

Shayne's gone quiet, I bet he's trying to figure out how to get that massive turbo onto his 90…even if just to beat Helen on the drag strip…[emoji23]

That frugal v12 in the link i posted plays more on my mind i'm sure he could scale it up to fit my truck :icon-cool:

I just hope she never buys me a track day gift my finances would never cope with that kind of an addiction :|

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could always join the IAM , they'll take you round a track with tuition…

In the black beast from Barry…
Either black beast come to think of it…

Methinks Helen's should now be the 'Black Beauty from Barry'…?

Its an impressive marine engine, but . . .

That Mercedes three-axle tractor unit must have 700bhp+, quite a machine (do you ever watch "Super Truckers" ??).

Bob.

He had way too much time on his hands. That was from about 20 years ago when Clarkson did a series called Motorworld. It blew me away then!

:text-+1: I could hardly believe it when it started.

And not only, the detail as a replica is amazing, the dash with a key start, the interior, wheels and tyres, working 5-speed box, everything about it, including the sound... :dance:

Amazing....

To think he made the mould for the tyres and had them moulded. And everything else that needed to be moulded.

Back