Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Master Cylinder repair or replace

It could just be the internal seals have gone and so it's not holding it's pressure anymore... It's worth taking it apart because a couple of seals isn't going to break the bank!

I always hone the cylinder bore before putting the new seals in. This gets rid of any slight imperfections/corrosion. I take a dowel of wood and wrap some cloth round until it is a tight fit in the cylinder. Then I remove it and put it in an electric drill, soak the cloth in brasso, insert into the bore and turn the drill on. I pull the dowel up/down the bore whilst the drill it is spinning. I regularly clean and inspect. Looking from the drill downwards you have to wrap the cloth in anticlockwise direction. The end of the cloth is stapled to the dowel before winding it on. Other means of fixing the cloth may spring to mind. Sometimes I manage a few turns of masking tape overlapping cloth/wood with the cloth.

Not that simple. You can replace the seals, I actually have a seal it in my spares box. But the fact is that the seals live their happy little lives sliding up and down the same old track and they get comfy. Typically it's during brake bleeding that they get pushed into the old cruddy section of the cylinder where the seals get ragged. If you stick new seals in, you either need to vacuum bleed the brakes to avoid the rough section or somehow hone up the inside of the bore. I took a MC off and when you run your finger down it, you can feel the difference in the bore. Now, for about £40 can you be bothered? And given that these things keep you out of the ditch too.

Beat me to it Frank

True Chris I didn't realise they were so cheap. I've reconed old/unavailable ones in the past where there was really bad wear. If I shone the inside it was surprising how much play the seal would take up. I was always in the ditch anyway.

I'm amazed how long these m/c seals last from new. In he late 50's 60's my dad and I were always changing our m/c seals. No time for crime, happy days gone forever.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We don't know we're born Chris. Back in the day my brake m/c was in the lower chassis rail under the floor. First puddle and the m/c sat for the rest of its' short life in a puddle of salt water. Really good fun..................then.

Nope but it's ebay so I would have no concerns you can always return it if it's not to your liking

Replace and be done with it. Do they still sell seal kits, I thought those days were gone? :violin:

regards

Dave

Back