Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

mercedes ml 270 cdi

silvercruiser

Hello my parents are still looking for a 4x4 and im trying to find a nice d4d colorado for them but they are like rockin horse poop, but they have found a fairly nice ml 270 cdi has anyone had any experience of these :?:

Joe

Only on the back of a recovery truck!! That is not to say they are bad as it was the only one. But they are meant to be ok.

Have a look on youtube about capabilities. But it's vehicle I would certainly get. That engine is widely used. Jeep cherokee, audi, merc, and maybe a couple of others that I didn't mention.

I can help - for my sins we have a Mercedes-Benz dealership, my wife and I have driven ML's for the past ten years, exactly what do you need to know?

They Rust just like every other Merc does .. Terrible build/metal quality .
My friend is a mobile paint repair person and the amount of Mercs he's been to that are only a couple of years old and are starting to rust is unreal..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
isle of man said:
I can help - for my sins we have a Mercedes-Benz dealership, my wife and I have driven ML's for the past ten years, exactly what do you need to know?

might be a bit late now but any common probs to look out for

Thanks for all the replys, they have put a deposit down on one and i must admit it seems pretty good with 70k on the clock, 1 owner from new, fmbsh and comes with a 6 month warranty so they seem happy. i just wish i could of found them a nice landcruiser first that was close enough to look at.

I take it the injector probs are just the same with pretty much all common rail engines these days (another reason im sticking with my lc or getting a 100 series)

well il report back when they get it and use it :thumbup: oh and surely its got to be better than their last car a discovery td5 :lol:

the car looks really clean are there any known rust places to look for :?:

Il have a look on youtube

Joe

The M class was one of our possible cars to replace our Subaru when the twins were born due to its vast internal width and the possibility of getting three child seats in all at the same time. Alas much to my disapointment we discounted it due to the repeated findings that they eat break pads and discs at an alarming cost of £1000 every two years and the paint/rust thing already mentioned, Shame :( Cos I really like the look of them and prety much everything else about them :)

This may be worth a read through http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/o ... agon-1998/

The 2002 model year on was a vast improvement from the early model (look for the repeater in the rear view mirrors). RUST!! This is a new one me and I have seen them with 300K - front brakes indeed they are expensive depending how hard you drive them 15,000 miles for pads and double that for discs if driven hard.
Injecters on the diesel they can leak but it's an easy and inexpensive fix if diagnosed early - same engine is used in the Sprinter, 460 G-Class also 203 C-Class and early 211 E-Class capable of monster miles.

We currently use a 164 with the 350 diesel and I have a 163 with the 500 V8 petrol to tow my buggy, I beat this every week and it has never let me down.

led1.jpg

PM me the chassis number and I can tell you all about the provenance.

ardugpc said:
Have a look on youtube about capabilities. But it's vehicle I would certainly get. That engine is widely used. Jeep cherokee, audi, merc, and maybe a couple of others that I didn't mention.

?? The 2.7CDi Merc engine is not the same as the 2.7TDi Audi engine AFAIK....

I think the OP's ML270CDi may be W163 model and will probably have the in-line 5 cyl version.

Thanks again for the replies and yes nice looking ML,

Steven thanks for the link :thumbup:

My parents new one (when they pick it up) is 2002 with the five cylinder engine so i take it to be the w163.

Thanks again.

Joe

Awful ride in the back if you have kids, rear seat passengers will be travel sick guaranteed. Partly due to long travel rear suspension & a lack of damping control. Of all the soft 4x4's they are definately the worst handling, trust me on this!!! we used them for comparative testing against other similar cars made. If you want something that handles well get an X5 a much better vehicle all round or if you can find one an RX450h Lexus with the optional active anti roll bars (a must have option) on par handling of the X5 without the BMW badge & the Lexus has the most comfiest seats ever made better than RR seats!! They don't go wrong either.

The lexus does still have the 1980's LCD clock though :lol:

The only rusty ones I have seen were due to neglect, great engines & drive line
Very nice car to drive on the road, reasonable off road but obviously not in the
same catergory as an 80 series.

It is not compulsory to fit Mercedes brake pads you can save money by fitting a
reputable make i.e ATE, Ferodo & such like.

If looked after you will get amazing mileage from the engine.

Do not agree with Cptsideways views, none of my Kids or friends got sick in the back of the car & I found it a very stable family car.

adrianr said:
Chas bought one of the Lexus model didn't you Chas?
I did, a 1998 RX300, very comfy, seats are on a par with my 80, they look very similar and have the same electric controls at the side, it's bl**dy fast too :oops:

Its ok the only one thats going to be sitting in the back will be there dog :lol: they have bought it to tow the caravan so it should be ok for this and its even got the detachable tow bar so no more walking behind it and smashing your shins to bits like there old TD5 :thumbup:

isle of man said:
The 2002 model year on was a vast improvement from the early model (look for the repeater in the rear view mirrors). RUST!! This is a new one me and I have seen them with 300K - front brakes indeed they are expensive depending how hard you drive them 15,000 miles for pads and double that for discs if driven hard.
Injecters on the diesel they can leak but it's an easy and inexpensive fix if diagnosed early - same engine is used in the Sprinter, 460 G-Class also 203 C-Class and early 211 E-Class capable of monster miles.

We currently use a 164 with the 350 diesel and I have a 163 with the 500 V8 petrol to tow my buggy, I beat this every week and it has never let me down.

led1.jpg

PM me the chassis number and I can tell you all about the provenance.

what size tyres are you running on the ml as my dad wants to get some AT's but with the stock size nothing comes up.

thanks.

Joe

265x70x17 but I have a OEC 2" lift - fit's perfect.

You will be pleasantly surprised by the towing ability.

Back