Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metal flecks in sump oil.

Cruiser Craig

Country Flag
australia
Hi Cruiser owners,

I have a 100 series with a 1FZFE 4.5L petrol with LPG and noticed tinny flecks of what looked like metal in the bottom of the drain pan when I changed the oil recently. I replaced the Head on it about 1 year ago and its run smooth since then, I haven't noticed any lack of performance other than a bit doughy when towing my 7m boat up hill. I fear the worst being a bottom end rebuild. Any suggestion as to what it may be?

First question - a starting point.

Are the flecks attracted to a magnet??

If they are steel they could just be bore/rings wear.

Bob.

Not sure but I will check tonight when I get home, I left a bit of oil in the pan for further inspection. If they are not attracted to a magnet what does that mean ?
Thanks.

If they are not attracted to a magnet what does that mean ?

It means they are Alloy or White Metal.

White metal would be from shell bearings - Crankshaft (main bearings) or Big End bearings.

I would expect some white metal over time but if there is more than just a trace of fine grey paste I would consider dropping the sump and checking the bearing shells for wear.

The 4.2L diesel is renowned for wearing big ends at over 100,000 miles (must replace mine before its too late :think: ) but I don't know if the 4.7L petrol suffers in the same way (I would have thought not).

Bob.

The 4.2L diesel is renowned for wearing big ends at over 100,000 miles (must replace mine before its too late :think: )........

Bob.

I thought that the 24v version onwards didn't suffer from the BEB problems ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought that the 24v version onwards didn't suffer from the BEB problems ?

Is that true ??? I don't recall seeing that anywhere (good news if it is, of course).

My 24valve 100 has 125,000 miles on the clock and I have been thinking about replacing the big end shells. These motors are slow revving and with the 4-speed Autobox will sit all day at 1,800 RPM - including towing heavy trailers up hills. I have always thought that slogging a motor like that will knock-out the big end shells.

I hold mine in 3rd and keep the revs up on a long climb when towing in order to give the bottom end an easier time.

I must look into this further :think:.

Bob.

I believe that the 24 valve is less likely than the 12 valve to suffer big end bearing wear issues. If I remember correctly the shells were redesigned for the 24 valve.
At 1800 rpm the engine should be about developing it's best torque and should be on boost from the turbo.
Diesel engines are all about bottom end power unlike petrols which like to rev to produce their best power (usually).
My engine red lines at just over 4000 rpm so 2000 rpm would be about half throttle and probably best power?

Last edited:
Back