Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MIG Welders - How big?

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Going to replace my little one as need something more industrial.

Question is......How big can you go on the house electrics? Dont mind adding a dedicated plug of some kind to the fuse box for safety.

I see listed up to 210A on single phase.

I am not qualified to tell you Paul, and I think in this case, opinion isn't good enough. But, one thing that I can tell you is that this is more about the breaker that you fit than it is necessarily about the rating of the fuse. The reason that you need a round plug is that std 3 pin ones can't handle the load. They turn to carbon in the end. But what trips the breaker isn't the working load, it's the spike when you start up. I went through all sorts of MCBs until I got a motor rated unit. D type from memory. It's only 32 amp but it takes that initial higher surge without tripping. Obviously a 200 amp welder doesn't draw 200 amp from the mains.

I would say that if the unit, whatever the output is wired for single not three phase then it will run from your mains with the right connection and set up. Where else would you realistically plug a single phase welder? What I don't know is what your mains is like in terms of wiring etc. That's why you need someone who knows more. But the reason that I mention the MCB is because I have met electricians who can do all the wiring calcs but STILL get the speed of the breaker wrong.

Chris

Cheers Chris :thumbup:
When it comes down to it, the price of the 170/180/210A welders are pretty similar so was going to go big. Also see that the bigger ones come with more functions and a euro torch as standard so leaning toward them. Keeping my eye out for a good second hand one on fleabay too.
I am going to update a few bits of kit like a compressor too so want to get the connections right, they also have quite a high start up draw on the power like the welder so will get looking.

I'm also using a 32A dedicated connection to the consumer unit, welder is 250A. Definately get a Euro torch machine if you can :thumbup:

Might be pure coincidence, but the welders i'm looking at have all the same consumable parts as the welders we have at work ;)

Back