Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Milner Stub axles

Brett

Country Flag
uk
What's the score with Milner's stub axles?

During my brake replacement today, I realised I'm going to need a new stub axle on the nearside before too long, in a couple of places it looks like those photo's of the delaminated BEB's.

Milner's site suggests that their stub axles are genuine OEM parts but there is a lot of previous info that they are actually too long.

Does anyone have any up to date info please?

Shit, I tried one when I first got my 80. They are too long for a start and the bearings do not sit on them too well.

Paul

Cheers Paul,

What did you end up going for or did you fix the Milner one?

Milner DO actually have many OEM parts. I have had some for sure. But you cannot guarantee that they always have them and that is what they will send you. I live close so always go and look for myself. If I go past in the next few days, I'll drop in and ask to see one.

There's no question that when it's an OEM part that it IS an OEM part. All serial numbers are correct, packaging, seals etc all genuine. Oddly they vary in price. Sometimes pretty much main dealer price and sometimes an absolute bargain.

Chris

Chris,

If you wouldn't mind popping in & taking a look, that would be excellent. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if the stub axle I need is the later type with the needle roller bearing instead of the bronze bush? The stubs on Milner's site don't have a model year identifier against them so not sure what they'll be? I think I'd heard you can only get the roller bearing type now & that it had superseded the bronze bush type?

According to TOYO, my Stub axles Toyota Part number is: 43401-60041.

Thanks very much.

According to the parts Guru's on Mud the 43401-60041 spindle is Superseded by 43401-60080 the new roller bearing type.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ouch!

What did they supply Paul, the later type with the roller bearing inside (43401-60080) ?

Might be able to swing by tomorrow morning. I'll let you know.

Chris

Right, here you go. They are the ones with the needle roller bearings in. There is still a bronze bush in there with grease grooves - which is replaceable and Milner actually stock the spares to drop in. I know 'cos I had a look at them. You can see the stuff on the side of the box. I can't tell you any more than that. Carl knew what I meant about the old ones, but this is what they carry now.

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I don't know how I feel about the new design. I guess that Mr T knows what he's doing. There's no actual weight on the axle - just the weight of the end of the axle I suppose. Sure there will be some forces transferred to the bush part sometimes but essentially the end cap and the outside of the stub / wheel bearings should be taking the weight. As long as it's kept greased the needle rollers should be fine. Were these ever fitted to a production vehicle or were they only made as a replacement upgrade part?

Chris

I don't need any of these but a quick trawl on Toyo revealed that both part numbers are on there. When a part gets superseded, usually the old one disappears and the new part pops up if you type in either number. It did this with my TC seals last week. So question is - are they a different part, an alternative part or are the middle bits which are available separately, backwards compatible with the old stub? It didn't seem to list 'our' vehicles when I typed it into Toyo. It also mentioned something to do with locking hubs.

So I'm intrigued. Are they actually the RIGHT part? The needle roller part is listed as a std part and pretty cheap. The bronze end caps are only a tenner too. If they will fit in a standard stub, it would be cheaper than replacing the bronze part. We could do with one being dimensioned to compare it. I have old style stubs here on my shelf.

Chris

Frank, that's a MILNER label for shipping. Not a Toyota one. The other bracket is missing from the end suggesting that the print margins were not set up correctly. 4987 is their stock code.

Chris

Chris,

Excellent, thanks a lot for going to the effort for me! :thumbup:

Think I might order me a pair ( I only need one, but I prefer to have the same parts both sides)

You are more than welcome mate. Like I say though, I think that it would be unlike Mr T to make completely new castings with new internals. I bet they are the same with new internal gubbins. The bronze and bearing bits are a separate part number. Really keen to see if they will swap.

Chris

I'm pretty sure I read a post on Mud by CDan that the roller bearing & bronze bush will fit the earlier casting.

Back