Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Missing sparewheel security adapter - what to do?

sim303

Country Flag
uk
Hi all

Just as the title says really - I recently bought a 2002 100 and have just discovered that one needs a key thing to lower the spare wheel. I don't have it! I don't know the ID of the key so I can't just order a replacement. What are my options?

Thanks

Simon

Some 100s have a key-socket on the spare wheel hoist, while on some you just use the hook for the screw jack. If yours is the type with a key:
Check at the bottom of the pockets in the tool kit, look in the gloves compartment, centre console, and anywhere else. The adaptor is quite small.
Otherwise, just undo the 4 bolts holding the crosmember which the hoist is attached to, lower it down, wheel and all, and remove the key socket.

Thanks - so if all else fails I drop the complete crossmember assembly? Makes sense. My only worry with that is that my experience of removing bolts from the chassis has not been a happy one - almost all of them just shear off :( I didn't receive much in the way of tools with the vehicle so I'm not optimistic about finding the adapter - and the deflated state of the spare suggests it has not been touched for a long time.

Hopefully next weekend if the weather is good I can get under there and have a go :)

Thanks - so if all else fails I drop the complete crossmember assembly? Makes sense. My only worry with that is that my experience of removing bolts from the chassis has not been a happy one - almost all of them just shear off :( I didn't receive much in the way of tools with the vehicle so I'm not optimistic about finding the adapter - and the deflated state of the spare suggests it has not been touched for a long time.

Hopefully next weekend if the weather is good I can get under there and have a go :)

Use heat if you have it or let a garage do it on a ramp with theirs, it will be money well spent.

Yes I have oxy-acetylene but I am always concerned about damaging chassis paint and rust protection inside the chassis. I have access to an impact wrench, maybe that would be less likely to break bolts.

Yes I have oxy-acetylene but I am always concerned about damaging chassis paint and rust protection inside the chassis. I have access to an impact wrench, maybe that would be less likely to break bolts.

To be realistic I wouldn't be too concerned about burning factory paint on a 15 year old Cruiser, it wont fall to bits and if it concerns you, you can repaint that bit.
I know about your job as I've done the exact same task,on my 03 100, but not because I didn't have the key. Plenty of heat round every bolt head as you come to do it and out they come. If the bolt heads are well rusty use a single hex socket just in case to save rounding the bolt head off.
I broke the remains of a 38 year old 60 series the other Sunday and every single bolt came out, mostly with heat though and not one sheared.,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Impact wrenches have their place but have a tendency to shear bolts with well rusted threads.

I assume toyota could supply the key as they will have recorded it against the chassis number.

P.S. shown as a separate part number so presumably they will supply the correct key.

Late update.... been away...

I got the spare wheel crossmember off using the oxy torch to heat the four seized bolts. Worked a treat and the whole operation took maybe half an hour :)

As yet I haven't got any further than that. I'm trying to summon up the energy to call Mr T (for some reason I developed a bit of an aversion to my local dealer, something gives me the feeling that these kind of enquiries (with evidently no potential to sell me a new car, or to get me into their service shop) are just a drag for them... Plus they won't post parts, even tiny ones :(

Contact Simon,
He is very helpful....

Simon Holton

Parts Manager

Steven Eagell Toyota (Northampton)

Ferris Row

Riverside Business Park

Northampton

NN3 9HX

t:01604 788303

d:01604 788308

f:01604 788302

e:[email protected]

Thanks! I've dropped him a line and hope he can help. I would also be very happy if he can be my first port of call in the future.

How did this end?
Did you just remove the key bit so that you can use the jack hook to lower the spare? (that's the standard anyhow)

Apologies, I'm hibernating over the winter, at least as far as vehicle work is concerned!

I got a quote for a new key - it's something in excess of £200 (can't remember exactly now) so when I get a chance I will try modifying the unit without a key. Honestly I'd rather have it that way in the first place!

I did get the crossmember down, and the winch unit off. All epoxy painted ready to go back on, soon(ish)!

I did get the crossmember down, and the winch unit off. All epoxy painted ready to go back on, soon(ish)!
Don't believe you ---- without pics !!!

Last edited:
thanks for posting this

I did not lose the security adapter, rather it was worn and would not turn the winch mechanism

I looked at taking the cross member off, but that looked like a nightmare job

in the end I came up with a much much simpler (two step) solution which hopefully will benefit others in a similar situation

when you look thru the bumper blanking plate hole you will see a plastic collar - that sits around the security lock assembly

Step 1 . remove the this plastic collar

I prised it off with a screwdriver, quite easily - a bit of luck with the wheel access, as I could see it thru the spokes, but it came off "in one" and intact

once removed you will see that the security lock assembly has lugs that actually turn the winch mechanism

step 2. get a piece of steel/aluminium tube (90cm long with an internal diameter of roughly 30 to 32 mm) and angle grind/cut some vertical groves to sit over the lugs, slide this over the security mechanism and engage the lugs - do the cuts at both ends of the tubes, the other end will be used for the standard Toyota hook tool to turn the winch

so in effect you have a made a female to female converter that presents the standard interface back to how it would be without the security mechanism fitted

job done!!!!!

Back